WK Slider Options

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Post Reply
16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:12 pm
Model Year: 2016

WK Slider Options

Post by 16PW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:43 pm

I will be ordering WK sliders really soon. It sucks not having them because it limits me on the trails I do. While doing Crown King in AZ there were a couple of optional obstacles that I didn't do because of not having them and one section that came about 1" from hitting under the rocker panel (after stacking rocks). I wanted some input on the options. I'm trying to decide if I want them built without the rear kick out since I don't like the look of it. I'd rather have them just go straight back like how they're made for Jeeps. Is that kick out worth it function wise? They said its built that way to push the rear away from crap. Second option is the finish for the sliders. I don't want to spend almost $300 for powder coat when I'll just scrape the shit out of them. It seems like painting them myself is the best option or bedliner. Paint will definitely be the easiest touch up. I don't need them as a step so that's why I am leaning towards paint. What do you guys think?

User avatar
OffroadTreks
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2409
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:59 pm

16PW wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:43 pm
I will be ordering WK sliders really soon. It sucks not having them because it limits me on the trails I do. While doing Crown King in AZ there were a couple of optional obstacles that I didn't do because of not having them and one section that came about 1" from hitting under the rocker panel (after stacking rocks). I wanted some input on the options. I'm trying to decide if I want them built without the rear kick out since I don't like the look of it. I'd rather have them just go straight back like how they're made for Jeeps. Is that kick out worth it function wise? They said its built that way to push the rear away from crap. Second option is the finish for the sliders. I don't want to spend almost $300 for powder coat when I'll just scrape the shit out of them. It seems like painting them myself is the best option or bedliner. Paint will definitely be the easiest touch up. I don't need them as a step so that's why I am leaning towards paint. What do you guys think?
You want the kickouts, it will push the rear away from crap and it functions as described, it works with rocks and it especially works with tree trunks when you are about to clip on. I've had them shift my whole truck about four or five times because I didn't gauge something on the passenger side.

Rattle can will be easy. You're going to scarp the powder off the bottoms and sides. Top seems to last longer. But I would have saved the money myself now that I have had them for a few years.

Bedliner is cool, but not if you're going to drag them on stuff. It peels and is hard to fix. Fine if you're not wheeling them with rocks.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:12 pm
Model Year: 2016

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by 16PW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:09 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:59 pm
16PW wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:43 pm
I will be ordering WK sliders really soon. It sucks not having them because it limits me on the trails I do. While doing Crown King in AZ there were a couple of optional obstacles that I didn't do because of not having them and one section that came about 1" from hitting under the rocker panel (after stacking rocks). I wanted some input on the options. I'm trying to decide if I want them built without the rear kick out since I don't like the look of it. I'd rather have them just go straight back like how they're made for Jeeps. Is that kick out worth it function wise? They said its built that way to push the rear away from crap. Second option is the finish for the sliders. I don't want to spend almost $300 for powder coat when I'll just scrape the shit out of them. It seems like painting them myself is the best option or bedliner. Paint will definitely be the easiest touch up. I don't need them as a step so that's why I am leaning towards paint. What do you guys think?
You want the kickouts, it will push the rear away from crap and it functions as described, it works with rocks and it especially works with tree trunks when you are about to clip on. I've had them shift my whole truck about four or five times because I didn't gauge something on the passenger side.

Rattle can will be easy. You're going to scarp the powder off the bottoms and sides. Top seems to last longer. But I would have saved the money myself now that I have had them for a few years.

Bedliner is cool, but not if you're going to drag them on stuff. It peels and is hard to fix. Fine if you're not wheeling them with rocks.
Now that I think of it, the kick out definitely does make sense with this long wheel base and terrible steering radius. I've had some instances where maneuvering around big boulders being nerve wrecking in a narrow river bed.

I intend to use the sliders so bedliner is pretty much out of the question. Paint seems like the best option. I won't use it as a step so the top should last. The passenger side is a different story since my gf is 4' 9" lol

I know you definitely use yours for what they are intended for. Thanks for the input!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:44 pm
Model Year: 2009

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by Colibri » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:37 pm

I agree 100% spray paint and kickouts if you intend to use your truck offroad
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:12 pm
Model Year: 2016

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by 16PW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Colibri wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:37 pm
I agree 100% spray paint and kickouts if you intend to use your truck offroad
Thanks! That's what I'm thinking. Just wanted some assurance before ordering.

User avatar
Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Model Year: 2015
Location: Eagle River, Alaska

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Just another vote for the good answers you’re already getting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by olyelr » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 pm

No way in hell I would put LINEX or a bedliner on them. Even if you will be using them heavily in the rocks, I would still probably pay for the powdercoat. It will obviously still get removed on the bottom side, but the top side will hold up MUCH better and last a lot longer than just paint. Although, I suppose if you are getting paint out for the bottom side periodically, how hard would it be to squirt the top while you were at it... hmmm.

I have never been in the rocks before, so my sliders look pretty damn good yet. I had WK powdercoat them before they shipped them. However, I did notice earlier today when I was spraying a week old layer of salty filth off my truck that they are getting more and more rust "specs" on them, like in or under the powdercoat. That doesnt make me happy, but I suppose it is inevitable.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:12 pm
Model Year: 2016

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by 16PW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:56 pm

olyelr wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 pm
No way in hell I would put LINEX or a bedliner on them. Even if you will be using them heavily in the rocks, I would still probably pay for the powdercoat. It will obviously still get removed on the bottom side, but the top side will hold up MUCH better and last a lot longer than just paint. Although, I suppose if you are getting paint out for the bottom side periodically, how hard would it be to squirt the top while you were at it... hmmm.

I have never been in the rocks before, so my sliders look pretty damn good yet. I had WK powdercoat them before they shipped them. However, I did notice earlier today when I was spraying a week old layer of salty filth off my truck that they are getting more and more rust "specs" on them, like in or under the powdercoat. That doesnt make me happy, but I suppose it is inevitable.
Yea bedliner seems like a bad idea. Powder coat seems like it might be hard to touch up with a spray can while trying to match the color and appearance. At least if I painted them then I'll always have the exact can for the matching touch up. Here around the Phoenix desert there are tons of rocky trails and washes/river beds so I definitely see my sliders taking some abuse.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 5023
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by RustyPW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 pm

Once powdercoat gets nick, or scratched. It's done for. I use bedliner in a spray can for my rockrails. The bottom gets scrapped up. I mask off and respray the area. It's a lot cheaper and last longer then powdercoating or LineX.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

User avatar
PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am
Model Year: 2018

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by PWJouster » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 am

you could order the sliders with the top plate, and spray the entire top of the plate with linex, new black steel it coating for the rails themselves.

touch up on the sides and undersides of the slider with Steel it would be extremely easy.


with the right prep, any unscathed steel it should last and protect longer then the truck will survive.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:12 pm
Model Year: 2016

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by 16PW » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 am

PWJouster wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 am
you could order the sliders with the top plate, and spray the entire top of the plate with linex, new black steel it coating for the rails themselves.

touch up on the sides and undersides of the slider with Steel it would be extremely easy.


with the right prep, any unscathed steel it should last and protect longer then the truck will survive.
https://www.amazon.com/Steel-it-Polyure ... PD2YX?th=1

Is this the Steel It you speak of? Have you used it on sliders or anything else?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 5023
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by RustyPW » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:18 pm

16PW wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 am
PWJouster wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 am
you could order the sliders with the top plate, and spray the entire top of the plate with linex, new black steel it coating for the rails themselves.

touch up on the sides and undersides of the slider with Steel it would be extremely easy.


with the right prep, any unscathed steel it should last and protect longer then the truck will survive.
https://www.amazon.com/Steel-it-Polyure ... PD2YX?th=1

Is this the Steel It you speak of? Have you used it on sliders or anything else?
I have to give that stuff a try this spring when I redo mine. :rockon:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

User avatar
Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1434
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by Bill2014 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Wonder if it comes in rust brown? :poke:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

User avatar
PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am
Model Year: 2018

Re: WK Slider Options

Post by PWJouster » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:54 pm

That’s the stuff!
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Post Reply