Antifreeze smell

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Antifreeze smell

Post by olyelr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Good idea.

However, I have read about so many of these thermostats failing already. With low miles. Like there may be an issue with them, yet FCA will likely not send out any recall about it.

Some of the instances I have read about, where guys trucks are sitting at the dealer not driveable, is because the thermostat no longer works (not because it is leaking). And the damn dealers cant get a thermostat for months ...
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 pm

If you take the o-ring into an industrial o-ring shop they should be able to get one out of stock unless it’s really weird. There are only so many sizes, hardness and thicknesses that people use.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by NickTF » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Don't be afraid to call to various dealers about thermostat availability that's how I found a replacement for my 2015. Took a bit more effort than the standard google part number only search.

Bigdodge

Post by Bigdodge » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:46 pm

NickTF wrote:Don't be afraid to call to various dealers about thermostat availability that's how I found a replacement for my 2015. Took a bit more effort than the standard google part number only search.
Wow, when and how far away was it? There aren't even aftermarket versions

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

continuecrushing

Post by continuecrushing » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:24 am

I've had a smell every once in a while too, haven't sourced the location yet. Haven't really looked either lol.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:27 pm

well i havent made any progress in removing the thermo housing because ive had five million other things to do but with any luck i can tear into this weekend. my plan is to source a new oring at a local industrial shop then put everything back together. hopefully the thermo doesnt shit the bed any time soon because it appears you can not buy it seperate, unless something from another vehicle would work. but i did pick up a uview airlift to pull the coolant back through the system when i get to that point.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:42 pm

well i had few days off work so i tore into the thermo housing. good news and bad. its not even remotely a common oring. ive never seen anything like it. oh and the groove in the housing is tapered and rectangular shape so a common symmetrical oring likely wouldnt work. maybe somewhere in some type of industry, this type of special oring exists and can be purchased in small qauntity but im not holding my breath. machining the groove sqaure then using a common oring may be a possibility. when i pulled the housing i noticed right away the oring was alittle rolled at the same location where my leak was. could of been defective or more likely they just buggered it at the factory when the engine was assembled. im thinking it was probly a rare occurance. i was just the unlucky person that ended up with it.

so i was forced to buy a new housing from the dealer. installed it. hooked the airlift up and the system held 21lb of vaccum with no loss so i filled it back with coolant. fired it up and all leaks are gone. atleast for now. parts guy at the dealer mentioned the housings have been failing. said something about cracks in the housing. ive kept my old housing since its still in great shape and perhaps i can figure a way to get a new oring for it then ill have a spare complete housing. one more thing, i think the problem may have been the housing was bolted to the pump with a dry oring and this caused it to roll. with the new one i lubed it slightly so it could settle into its natural position

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 am

Progress!

I still consistently get a coolant smell, but i have scoured all around the thermostat housing and it is completley dry as a bone every time. Not a single stain or anything. Like it is brand new.

The thermostats obviously have an issue, but I am pretty sure my coolant odor is coming from somewhere else.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:00 pm

forgot to say but i never knew there was 2 fans until i pulled the shroud off. ill be damned if there wasnt a electric fan in there also

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by Easttnrhino » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:22 pm

Yea and I have been wanting to to try the v6 electric fan only get rid of the power dragging clutch nosiey fan, use the fan that hook up to factory wiring the 5.7 guys in the 1500 love it but just have not yet been able to yet.
Enjoying beautiful east TN

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:35 am

I had a thermostat thread a while back, my seal tore completely. It had zero effect on the coolant smell, I had it before and I have it still now after a new thermostat. Honestly I think the coolant smell comes out of the vent on the tank on the passengers side fire wall, just a wild guess. My truck uses a very very small amount of coolant and I suspect many do. I just don't care to worry about it honestly.

NVBM

Post by NVBM » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 pm

Kind of late on this thread but signing on for future updates, what's weird is my Wrangler 3.6 had the exact same smell, i hated the constant temps going well over 200 and ended up buying a programmer and changing the temp the fans kicked in at, that eliminated the smell, guttering like one of the others it could be as simple as a vent smell - will be doing the deep investigation soon though on the PW

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Roaming the back roads of southern Nevada...............
2016 Jeep Willys - sold
2017 Jeep Rubicon - sold
2018 Power Wagon
K&N steel tube intake
Solo muffler delete
Locker bypass - received, time to get off my duff and install

NVBM

Post by NVBM » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 pm

Kind of late on this thread but signing on for future updates, what's weird is my Wrangler 3.6 had the exact same smell, i hated the constant temps going well over 200 and ended up buying a programmer and changing the temp the fans kicked in at, that eliminated the smell, guttering like one of the others it could be as simple as a vent smell - will be doing the deep investigation soon though on the PW

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Roaming the back roads of southern Nevada...............
2016 Jeep Willys - sold
2017 Jeep Rubicon - sold
2018 Power Wagon
K&N steel tube intake
Solo muffler delete
Locker bypass - received, time to get off my duff and install