Rr bump stops and air bags

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Gypsysmith
Model Year: 2006

Rr bump stops and air bags

Post by Gypsysmith » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 am

I’m amazed there isn’t an effective solution.

I tow a lot. I want to off-road a lot. I daily drive my PW. I’m not interested in timbrens. I like tuning my bags psi for each load. I don’t intend to race my truck, but the desert is a big place and it would be nice to comfortably pick up the pace sometimes.

I’m not sure where the Carli/King hydro bumps mount, but it must be either inboard or outboard of the frame rail. Hydro bumps are not in my budget. I’ve really thought about mounting the Daystar stinger bump stops or making brackets and mounting boogie bumps outboard of the frame and building new leaf plates to bump against.

I really don’t see why it would be difficult, or expensive. My only concern is stress on the frame. It can’t be that bad, otherwise the leaf springs couldn’t be outboard. I understand the stresses are different, but I still don’t see why it can’t be done without problems.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: Rr bump stops and air bags

Post by Colibri » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:51 am

The rear hydros mount outside the frame and strike on the upper leaf clamp plate. There is a crossbar between the sides to prevent unwanted frame flex. They’re awesome for hauling ass.

For you, sounds to me like a combo of boogie bumps and either Carli long travel air bags or Firestone’s and daystar cradles will get you where you want to be just fine. The leaf spring trucks have pretty much been around long enough that everything has been figured out, no need to reinvent the wheel
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Gypsysmith

Post by Gypsysmith » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:47 am

Sorry, I should clarify.

I currently have an 06, stock suspension, Firestone bags w/Daystar cradles.

The problem with the Firestone’s is they use the OEM bump stop space. To use the boogies I’d have to make outboard brackets. That’s not a problem, although I suspect the Daystar stingers would be easier to mount.

Knowing that the carli hydro bumps mount on the outside and strike the leaf clamp is kinda all I need to know.

I’ve got Thuren shackles waiting to go on. I’m gonna just order the stingers and can mounts. Once I have everything I’ll set aside an afternoon and do it all at once. Thanks

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Ahh gotcha, I see the problem now. Definitely do a write up on the stinger install if that’s what you end up doing, I’m sure there’s lots of interest here for that. I’d like to see it anyway

I was having a brain fart saying boogies and bags could work together, I was saying boogies but thinking hydros lol. Getting old sucks.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:29 pm

I would not want to run both. Figure out a quick removal system for your air bags so you can swap bags or boogies. Hydro bumps are not required (and I even recommend against them) unless you want to go full hoon. Most trucks run out of horsepower, traction, available power to ground, driver, and other things before they can outrun what simple boogie bumps provide, unless you just take a ridiculous hit and get lucky enough that hydros save you. Hydros aren’t comfortable like boogies are.

Even if you disconnect the air line to the bags, your bump stops won’t be doing so much because it takes so much force to get the air out of an air bag that you will always pay the price for having it in there. If you want a dead simple setup, just keep the daystar cradles and drop in a set of AirLift 5000’s with the built in bump stops.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Hydro bumps are absolutely irritating for normal around town driving. Especially as compared to boogies.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:14 pm

i have the Carli long travel air bags on my '08. They mount inboard of the bump stops. Min pressure is 5 lbs. Max is 100. At 5 lbs. It does nothing for the ride. The downside is that the tailpipe has to be modded or removed because it's in the way. I've had my Carli's since 2011.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Gypsysmith

Post by Gypsysmith » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:17 am

Yeah, I’m warming up to the idea of replacing the Firestone’s with Carli’s. So long as I can bolt boogie bumps in trouble free. I’ve been stubborn about replacing something that works, but truth is I’m really not satisfied. To save face, I bought the truck with the Firestone’s already in.

I read about hydro bumps being rough for daily driving. I have a sneaky suspicion that a cheap version will ride worse. I think Daystar stingers are not a good option.

I’m building a good OBA system. I have just begun to collect parts to run in cab controls on my bags. I will always and forever need air bags.
ECDC7772-1439-41E4-BD2E-D38AEFCD89DF.jpeg
Last nights load.

Gypsysmith

Post by Gypsysmith » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:20 pm

It’s a done deal. Carli long travel bags are in, along with OEM bumpstops. Just waiting on boogie bumps soon. The Carli bags seem pretty expensive, but everything is very high quality and went together nice. I’m happy with the ride quality now. I’ll be towing some decent weight in a day or two. I’m eager to see how the truck does towing/hauling.

Thanks for the input.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm

I towed a 10,000 lbs camper with the Carli's. :rockon:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: