Frustrated with 2012 PW design flaws and repeated fixes

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
socalluke
Model Year: 2012

Frustrated with 2012 PW design flaws and repeated fixes

Post by socalluke » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Who has been so frustrated with these issues that they moved on to a another truck? And are you happier with your new ride?

I have 92k miles on the truck and here are the major design flaws:
1. UCONNECT, streaming bluetooth music is and has never has sounded right. (So I connect the phone with a cable, not right, but no biggie.)
2. Exhaust manifold bolts breaking. Passenger side covered under warranty. Paid Out of pocket for drives side replacement of broken bolt and resurfaced head. $1100
3. Rear locker light flashing. Was fixed in two weeks at dealer under warranty.
4. Rear locker light is now flashing again. NEEDs to be fixed, another $1000 plus or minus.
5. Gas tank exhaust valve is not working as designed. Ie. The pump shuts off repeatedly while I try to fill it up. So I fill it very slowly or use vice grips to pry open the vapor preventer thing on the gas pump. Dealer says the gas tank needs to be replaced. Another $1000 plus or minus
6. And now the big one. I have the dreaded lifter, flat cam lobe and the engine is coming apart as we I type this. Looking at $3000-$5000k

Not mentioning how fast front end parts wear out, but I'll just attribute that theses big heavy trucks. But I can live with improved track bars and drag links. As aftermarket beefed up parts in this area should help.

-> Wanted to hear others opinions, as now that the truck is paid for, I'm trying to decide which direction I should go:
1. Have called Dodge, so see about a Lemon buy back program, and waiting to hear if they say yes and if so, what the value would be.
2. Suck it up, pay for the repairs, live with it, and hopefully sell it in a few years before any of these issues come back.
3. Sell it now as is.

Bummed because be just put new AEV wheels, tires, Thuren drag link, and new spark plug money into it.And previously de-badged it, with Thuren coil lift in front, and their 2.0 Fox shock tune. So I like the truck. Just wish it would run right, locker would engage, and I could fill it up with gas, and I can't justify the truck as a toy, that requires this much work all the time. This is my only vehicle, so I need it to be a reliable daily driver.

However since buying the truck, and my boys are older, we ride dirt bikes and I tow a toy hauler way more often than I wheel the truck. Probably 10-1

Thoughts, opinions, guidance would be appreciated?

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: Frustrated with 2012 PW design flaws and repeated fixes

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:15 pm

I have a 2012 and have had to deal with #1, #2, and #5. I’ve got less than 57,000 miles on my truck, but the issue with fueling up almost makes me want to get another truck. It’s been paid off for a long time, so I deal with the small issues. For the most part it’s pretty comfy as a daily driver, and there isn’t anything out there that makes me want to change right now. Now if Ram offers the 426 Hemi in the future, I may do something silly.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by chrisjameswagner » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 pm

1 through 5 plus three idler pullies, a leaky back windshield, and after my last dealership service center rip off I'm out. Loving the gas mileage and comfort of the new rig. I drove the PW out to AZ just about every weekend 440 miles round trip and the new rigs gas savings is paying for half the payment.No longer used the PW for what I originally intended so couple that with constant repairs and frustration with the stealership (my own fault for using them) and I'm long gone. I'll miss the rigs abilities off road but I no longer trust it to get me out and back. I also liked its uniqueness and the look on peoples faces when you ran a trail or obstacle that all were whispering "he's crazy" but again not worth the price.

Good luck!
2012 - Aluminess sliders, Century High C Shell, Wilderness Rack, Rigid D2's on front bar, sleeping and storage platform, Carli High Clearance Arms, springs, control arm, track bar, Bilstein 7100's, Day star rear shackles, 35" Cooper ST MAXX., Front bumper and under carriage camera set up

socalluke

Post by socalluke » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks guys....I too am kind of living with 1-5, But with a new valve train, camshaft and related parts. (and even looking a Jasper engine replacement.)

It might just be too much. But then again it is day 1 with this. And even at $4k, that is just the sales tax on a $40k truck.

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Unless you like doing transmission repair and similar heavy work in your garage and have another reliable vehicle there comes a time when most people say “enough!”. When that is depends on the person.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 am

Sorry to hear that you're having these problems. :(

#2 Happens on other HD trucks as well (especially Chevy/GMC).
#3 & 4 A locker bypass will make this better than new for $450, or you can return it for a full refund if you're not satisfied.
#5 I would clean the evap filter and replace the ESIM for $50 first, I doubt that you need a new fuel tank.
#6 Is happening to other manufacturers as well (valves, cam, lifters, timing chains).

I'm a mechanic, I work on every brand out there and I chose this platform on purpose because it frustrates me the least when I have to work on it for others or myself. The fact that it's the most capable pickup truck on the planet is just icing on the cake.

Lazarus
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Lazarus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am

2, 3, and 6 on my first power wagon. I was constantly chasing issues on it. I felt like I could never trust it and it was going to leave me stranded in the mountains. It was an 05 with 60k miles on it when I bought it. After replacing just about every front end component on it, as well as all idler pulleys, power steering pump and gear, wheel bearings, winch components, steering shaft, and many more things I can’t remember, I finally called it quits and sold it at a loss. It was a super clean truck but I had a payment on it and with all of my repair bills the money I had into it was just out of control. It was tough to sell it and go without a truck for 6 months, but I sold my awesome TJ last summer (which I miss a lot) and was able to get a 2018 PW. I am extremely happy that I finally called it quits and moved on, but it was a really hard thing to do because I didn’t know if I would be able to get another PW. It all worked out though.

Lazarus
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Lazarus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:30 am

I fixed #6 by replacing the corroded actuator plugs and never had any more issues with my lockers working, but maybe I was just lucky

socalluke

Post by socalluke » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 am
Sorry to hear that you're having these problems. :(

#2 Happens on other HD trucks as well (especially Chevy/GMC).
#3 & 4 A locker bypass will make this better than new for $450, or you can return it for a full refund if you're not satisfied.
#5 I would clean the evap filter and replace the ESIM for $50 first, I doubt that you need a new fuel tank.
#6 Is happening to other manufacturers as well (valves, cam, lifters, timing chains).

I'm a mechanic, I work on every brand out there and I chose this platform on purpose because it frustrates me the least when I have to work on it for others or myself. The fact that it's the most capable pickup truck on the planet is just icing on the cake.
THANKS Retired!!
1. I have read about your locker bypass and that is on my list - > Any guidance on how to tell if my locker actuator is good or not?
2. Great write up on the Evap filter ESIM cleaning!

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Lift the rear wheels off the ground, apply power and ground to pin #1 and #4 of the axle plug. If the wheels turn with power off and don’t turn with power applied, then your actuator is good.

If the evap filter or ESIM isn’t working properly air will be trapped in the fuel tank and kick off the fuel nozzle. Air leaves the fuel tank from a fitting on top, then it goes to the charcoal canister, through the ESIM valve/sensor and exits out the filter. The fitting on top of the fuel tank is called a rollover valve, it’s a safety device in case the truck rolls over, to stop fuel from leaking out all over the highway. If the rollover valve is stuck then you would have to replace the fuel tank. I bet that it’s the filter the valve/sensor or the charcoal canister causing your problem.

socalluke

Post by socalluke » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Perfect Thanks Retired!!
Is #1 pin labeled "12 volt positive" and #4 is labeled "12 volt negative?" Just want to double check.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:06 pm

socalluke wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 pm
Perfect Thanks Retired!!
Is #1 pin labeled "12 volt positive" and #4 is labeled "12 volt negative?" Just want to double check.
Correct!
Also, for testing the front actuator, it’s the same wire orientation, but you only have to jack up one wheel to test it.

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 am

I had the fueling issue twice on my 2012. It was an easy fix both times. Give the suggestions above a try.

We have done the exhaust once and it is getting noisy again.

Feel your pain with the rest of it. It is a love/hate relationship for sure but I don't know that there is anything out there that is trouble free anymore. The cost of doing some serious preventative maintenance is steep but it is still far less than starting over with something different.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

socalluke

Post by socalluke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 am

Yes I like the truck and just like my XJ's in the past when I was younger and Grand Cherokee as well. Chrysler really does well on the concept and macro level design of their "speciality" vehicles, but the quality control on some of those gadgets and the level of effort to get to a small failed part is quite high. But guess that is true for most trucks these days.... (Very few design for ease of maintenance, like dirt bikes do.)

Power wagon is Awesome here in So Cal, in that it can hang with:
1. Tow crowd - HD trucks and Dually's - just with a smaller trailer
2. High speed crowd - Raptor's - just at a slower speed (mainly in the rough)
3. Wheel'n crowd - Jeeps - just not on the super narrow trails (or live with a shit ton of dings & scratches.)
4. Kid's carpool crowd - all makes - with seating for 6
And with the AMP power steps, it still works for Dates, Customers, and Parents, getting into a vehicle with 35's easier than a stock 1500.

I guess if I only cared about reliability.....I'd be driving a Toyota....but we all know the Tacoma is too small and the Tundra isn't a real truck. haha!

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Dates that require AMP power steps? :o If she can't get in without a step, just drive off :lol:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 pm
Dates that require AMP power steps? :o If she can't get in without a step, just drive off :lol:
Thinking the same thing :lol:
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:15 pm

In all seriousness, there were many reasons I never considered an earlier Power Wagon, and what I saw with reliability was #1.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

aheiser
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by aheiser » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:57 am

Man, I'm almost afraid to say anything and jinx myself. My '12 has been essentially perfect so far. Only 45k miles and not a single problem other than a simple recall. Though this thread has been useful as I'll make a mental note of a couple of these possible issues and their remedies, etc.
2012 Power Wagon SLT Blue Pearl, Thuren suspension, 35" Toyo RTs, Linex bed and rockers, Aero AT3030XL muffler, BT Catch can, more on the way...

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:44 am

My 12’ has 139k on it. My Uconnect has worked well for me. The only complaint I have with that is that bitching Betty talks for 30 seconds it seems after you hit answer on the call.

I had to replace a shift solenoid shortly after I bought it. (Purchased at 118k) as it would throw it into 4th gear safety mode.

Replaced exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets and that made the leak worse and now my check engine light is on with the 0044 code or whatever.

Replaced pax side valve cover gasket need to do driver side now.

Chased death wobble through new track bar, new steering box, and finally solved that with inner and outer tie rod ends.

Brushing on the 4wd shifter broke but that cost like 3$ to fix.

My steering wheel seems like it has a dead spot in it and I’m just leaving the shop, they said they can’t see anything off hand and it all feels pretty tight. Slight play in driver side lower ball joint 1-2mm. Said he would keep driving it. Possibly the intermediate shaft on the steering dead spot.

I’ve owned an 85 ram, a 97 extended cab, an 01 extended cab, a Tacoma and now this. This is still my favorite truck by far but it is a pain in the ass.

socalluke

Post by socalluke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:57 pm

The step test is a good one!! I'll have to remember that.....wonder if RetiredBLM can make switch to disable them as needed. haha!!

Found out the lifter failed...(needle bearings, broke, missing, fell out...) And it then wore the cam lobe flat. New cam, lifters, and exhaust manifold bolts going in as I type this.

And I think Ak68w summed it up best....."This is still my favorite truck by far but it is a pain in the ass."

jakestopp244

Post by jakestopp244 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm

mine hasnt been to bad broke the exhaust studs off driver side replaced manifolds with arh long tube headers havent had a problem sinse. lockers were taking to long to engage took diff covers off cleaned the magnets and they worked flawlessly, then i put retireds bypass on and there even better.
2012 pw
mod list: thuren 3inch coils, adjustable shackles and overland shocks, carli track bar short arms and steering stabilizer, daystar airbag cradles, evo manual sway bar disco, arh long tube headers, diablosport trinity with jay greene 92 octane tune, s&b cai, vision x 4.5 cannons on a pillars, custom plastic cnc switch panel, factor 55 prolink, retired blm's locker bypass

socalluke

Post by socalluke » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 pm

UPDATE:
Drove it home today, good to be back in the PW!! New cam, lifters, and all exhaust manifold bolts replaced plus all the other misc for $5k. (only $1500, for 15hours of labor. Thought that was pretty good for LA.)

And found out I am still within my 3rd party extended warranty (84 month /100k miles) Which the dealer never saw, (they are supposed to look on a different screen then were they see the Chrysler warranty.) And I had forgotten about it. So hopefully I'll get re-imbursed for this cam/lifter issue and the drivers side exhaust bolt, head resurfacing fix, which I paid out of pocket for.

And next up if I need a new actuator ring, they'll pay for that too....Then I can move on to the retired's locker and nanny bypass.

Txhillbilly

Post by Txhillbilly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:49 pm

I've had pretty good luck out of my 2012 PW. I've had several manifold bolts break,and even had the flashing locker light issue. For the most part,my truck has been trouble free,but I also made the dealer give me a Lifetime Warranty after all the crap that I got screwed on with my 2006 3500 Megacab dually when a whole list of things broke/failed within a month of the warranty running out.

My local service manager has always been very good,and I like the fact that any issues that I have with the truck only cost me $100 to get repaired/replaced under the warranty.