Sliders

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Sliders

Post by olyelr » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Best thing for sliders is paint. Then just touch them up every now and then.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:31 pm

olyelr wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:48 pm
Yup. Second this :cheers: Powder coat holds up on the tops with stepping on it. But it won't ever hold up to rocks.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:32 pm

olyelr wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:48 pm
Nope - mine look best brown! :poke:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

AlaskaTRX
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by AlaskaTRX » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm

FE4EA71A-CE82-44C5-BF67-D584111560C8.jpeg
96120C79-FD8D-4E04-AFF8-97E0F6F3D1F7.jpeg
1755D546-308E-4A1A-ADE8-23311594487A.jpeg
4B5A2839-92AD-4B85-8752-BA455B1E23C9.jpeg
Finally had time to Herculiner and install the WK rocker skids (wife and kids out of town). Man, the driver side sucked, but passenger side was cake!

I know the truck is super dirty - it’s 1F outside and it’s going to stay dirty for awhile 😆...

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Looks good. Why is the gas tank cover cleaned up?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

AlaskaTRX
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by AlaskaTRX » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:24 am

olyelr wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:09 pm
I only wiped down the frame rails where I was mounting the sliders to and didn’t touch the tank or skid plates, so I’m not sure?

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 am

AlaskaTRX wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:24 am
olyelr wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:09 pm
I only wiped down the frame rails where I was mounting the sliders to and didn’t touch the tank or skid plates, so I’m not sure?
I guess I should have said gas cap cover, not tank cover.

Lazarus
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by Lazarus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Well I’m going to have to wait on the WK’s until I can convince my wife that they are a good investment. In the mean time, I’m going to put some nerf steps on it. Anyone had experience with these? Rough country stuff is usually not very high quality, but I like the look of these way better than anything else I have found. Obviously not even comparable to a well built slider, but if they look good and the welds aren’t crap then they should last for long enough to get the WK’s in the future.
Attachments
96EB7AC5-5C4F-4C00-A765-163BB35BCEE4.png

kgries

Post by kgries » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Lazarus wrote:Well I’m going to have to wait on the WK’s until I can convince my wife that they are a good investment. In the mean time, I’m going to put some nerf steps on it. Anyone had experience with these? Rough country stuff is usually not very high quality, but I like the look of these way better than anything else I have found. Obviously not even comparable to a well built slider, but if they look good and the welds aren’t crap then they should last for long enough to get the WK’s in the future.
Don’t waste your money, just keep saving for the wk sliders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Lazarus wrote:Well I’m going to have to wait on the WK’s until I can convince my wife that they are a good investment. In the mean time, I’m going to put some nerf steps on it. Anyone had experience with these? Rough country stuff is usually not very high quality, but I like the look of these way better than anything else I have found. Obviously not even comparable to a well built slider, but if they look good and the welds aren’t crap then they should last for long enough to get the WK’s in the future.
What kgries said. Spending money on steps is just money down the drain if you know you need sliders eventually. Keep saving for WKs.

This can be a very expensive trap to fall into if you get the wrong impression that the nerf bars offer “some “ protection, just not as much as sliders and will be ok for some light four wheeling. Then you smash the nerf tubes into the rockers and are out the cost of body repair and the destroyed steps.

John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:31 pm

If you wheel your truck heavily then dont even consider them. As pricey as the wk’s are, its still hard NOT to justify them. The first time you use them to the point that they are actually needed, they will pay for themself right then and there.

Lazarus
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Lazarus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm
What kgries said. Spending money on steps is just money down the drain if you know you need sliders eventually. Keep saving for WKs.

This can be a very expensive trap to fall into if you get the wrong impression that the nerf bars offer “some “ protection, just not as much as sliders and will be ok for some light four wheeling. Then you smash the nerf tubes into the rockers and are out the cost of body repair and the destroyed steps.

I’m aware these provide zero protection, that’s not why I would be getting them. It’s not hard for me to justify getting the WK’s at all.

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trk4sale » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Preview

2005 white Q.C. Power Wagon #1716
AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Super Chips Flashpac Tuner
Wet Okole seat covers
35" Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Line-X bed coating
Trac Rac Sliding Lumber Rack
Dual Batteries w/ Hellroaring Technologies Isolator/Combiner
Extreme Outback Magnum on board air compressor
H2 rims

SpeedracerPW

Post by SpeedracerPW » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:51 am

when I was looking at buying my truck, I knew it needed some type of step so that my wife could get in but I really wanted the WK. We found a good deal on my truck, that came with factory sidesteps, and decided to get it because it would allow her to get into the truck and we could not justify spending $50k on a new truck and have to order parts for it the next week. My hope was that with the height of the truck and the articulation, we could get away with having only a sidestep instead of a full slider.

For the first few months, the sidesteps were great. Very good quality and provided a solid step up into the beast, however, the first time we got into a tight spot the steps got minor damage from only touching a tree root. It was at this time I realized they would not hold up to the capability potential of the power wagon. Subsequent trips out have further confirmed that as I later landed on a tree stump on the drivers side which caused the step to bend and the mounting bracket to cause minor damage to sheet metal it was attached to.

Luckily I have not caused serious damage to the truck yet although I have hit them almost every time I've gone out. I'll be ordering the WK next month because I would rather spend money on the slider instead of body work. In hindsight, I spent $600 for the factory sidesteps that have only been a hindrance while causing damage to the truck when I could have made the wiser choice of getting the right tool for the job.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:39 pm

SpeedracerPW wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:51 am
when I was looking at buying my truck, I knew it needed some type of step so that my wife could get in but I really wanted the WK. We found a good deal on my truck, that came with factory sidesteps, and decided to get it because it would allow her to get into the truck and we could not justify spending $50k on a new truck and have to order parts for it the next week. My hope was that with the height of the truck and the articulation, we could get away with having only a sidestep instead of a full slider.

For the first few months, the sidesteps were great. Very good quality and provided a solid step up into the beast, however, the first time we got into a tight spot the steps got minor damage from only touching a tree root. It was at this time I realized they would not hold up to the capability potential of the power wagon. Subsequent trips out have further confirmed that as I later landed on a tree stump on the drivers side which caused the step to bend and the mounting bracket to cause minor damage to sheet metal it was attached to.

Luckily I have not caused serious damage to the truck yet although I have hit them almost every time I've gone out. I'll be ordering the WK next month because I would rather spend money on the slider instead of body work. In hindsight, I spent $600 for the factory sidesteps that have only been a hindrance while causing damage to the truck when I could have made the wiser choice of getting the right tool for the job.
Yep, and you were half way pricewise to the wk sliders already, and now you gotta start all over.

Shanedogg

Post by Shanedogg » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:21 pm

[/quote]

Yes, the Aluminess sliders are great for the money. Are they as good as a frame mounted set of WKs? Hell no! But, I'm not planning on going hard core 4x4ing in this truck. On a scale of 1-5, no more than 3.5... My wife will kill me if there is a Power Wagon #4 before 2025... The Hellcat Challenger completely eliminated the new Power Wagon every 3 or 4 years option.... ;)

LOL!
[/quote]

Glad to see another car fan on here! There is a challenger in the my stable as well. 15' forged, D1 procharged, 392, running right 10psi...
2018, Leitner Designs rack, 35" KM3's,

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by ghaugo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:04 pm

I had Aluminess sliders on my 2012 prior to purchasing it. I have scraped them a few times on rocks during some off roading like you describe. I recently hit my passenger side on a rock, and the slider is now making a noise over bumps. All of the bolts are tight, but I believe the sheet metal they mount to has become fatigued. I have had a tough time getting any info on this other than one on an expedition or overland site where a guy had a similar problem . I am going to contact the company to see what they say, but I was also going to look at having a shop fabricate some mounts for the Aluminess sliders to attach to the frame. Other than that, they have been pretty sturdy. If I can't get them fixed, I may order some White Knuckles. I figured I would try to work with these so far as I like the looks.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:47 pm

ghaugo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:04 pm
I had Aluminess sliders on my 2012 prior to purchasing it. I have scraped them a few times on rocks during some off roading like you describe. I recently hit my passenger side on a rock, and the slider is now making a noise over bumps. All of the bolts are tight, but I believe the sheet metal they mount to has become fatigued. I have had a tough time getting any info on this other than one on an expedition or overland site where a guy had a similar problem . I am going to contact the company to see what they say, but I was also going to look at having a shop fabricate some mounts for the Aluminess sliders to attach to the frame. Other than that, they have been pretty sturdy. If I can't get them fixed, I may order some White Knuckles. I figured I would try to work with these so far as I like the looks.
And when you remove them, will you have a bunch of holes in your sheetmetal?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 pm

Check that you don’t have anything that can now bump into the frame or cab as things move. The cab moves a lot relative to the frame. Could also be a bracket that’s bent out of shape and coming back into contact with the sheet metal.

If you modify the sliders, they either need to attach to cab or frame, but cannot attach to both at the same time. Lots of movement in those body mounts!

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ghaugo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking the same thing about mounting options. Either frame or body but not both. The holes in the body are there already for mounting normal running boards or steps, so there won't be new holes. I think they come from the factory covered in tape.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:32 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:56 am
I think Olyelr is referring to Randy Ellis sliders and getting them confused with your Aluminess.
And you would be correct! :doh:

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ghaugo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:43 pm

I have since talked to the guys at Aluminess and they agreed to send me a kit they made to address this issue. Hopefully, it will address the issue, and I can get the sliders stop rattling. I will keep you posted.
2012 Power Wagon

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:08 am

Lazarus wrote:I guess I'd be fine with either, but will go with WK. the biggest obstacle now is convincing the wife that I need a $1000 mod on my truck. Some mods are easy to hide, but not this one haha.
Just tell her they are a $1400 insurance policy against a $50K truck. Pretty reasonable Image

I also have WK sliders and they have saved my bacon off road many times. Well worth the investment and I would do it again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:57 am

[/quote]Just tell her they are a $1400 insurance policy against a $50K truck. Pretty reasonable [emoji12
[/quote]

In 2005 maybe :doh: Now its a 60K truck :angry:
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.