Sliders

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: Sliders

Post by KevinABQ » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:58 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm
If you want WK sliders hold tight, they're going to be one of our title sponsors for PWIM and we're working out a discount. Should finalize this week. :cheers:
I don't suppose any suspension sponsors might do that too?
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by chrisjameswagner » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 pm

They're called "sliders".

Aluminess work as designed.
Cottonwood Ledge.jpg
2012 - Aluminess sliders, Century High C Shell, Wilderness Rack, Rigid D2's on front bar, sleeping and storage platform, Carli High Clearance Arms, springs, control arm, track bar, Bilstein 7100's, Day star rear shackles, 35" Cooper ST MAXX., Front bumper and under carriage camera set up

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am

Despite being called "Sliders" I've always felt a hit is a better test. Any metal will handle being rubbed over a rock.

But can it hold up to this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiptpxUgRSc/
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Punishher7
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Punishher7 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:19 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:If you want WK sliders hold tight, they're going to be one of our title sponsors for PWIM and we're working out a discount. Should finalize this week. :cheers:
Standing by...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by chrisjameswagner » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am
Despite being called "Sliders" I've always felt a hit is a better test. Any metal will handle being rubbed over a rock.

I think so. Know I've done that a few times. Tell you they hold up 10,000 times better than any of the stock skid plates and cross members...
2012 - Aluminess sliders, Century High C Shell, Wilderness Rack, Rigid D2's on front bar, sleeping and storage platform, Carli High Clearance Arms, springs, control arm, track bar, Bilstein 7100's, Day star rear shackles, 35" Cooper ST MAXX., Front bumper and under carriage camera set up

HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by HammerTime » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 am

RustyPW wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Low_Sky wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 pm
RustyPW wrote:The Aluminess is aluminum, so it's soft metal. You'll put so nice grooves in them if you slide across enough rocks. I have their bumper. And I got some nice marks on the bottom of it.
Aluminess sliders are steel. The problem with them is that they mount to the body just like step bars. Maybe OK for incidental bump protection, but not OK for hard hits and intentional use.

When did they change them. They was aluminum.
I've had a set of the Aluminess sliders on all 3 of my Power Wagons. 2010, 2013, 2017. They were all steel. In fact, the white Power Wagon on their website is my 2010. Not the overland rig, the one with just the sliders. If you look close, you will see why I bought them... I damaged the rocker panels on the truck before I decided I needed sliders...:(
2017 White/Black Power Wagon

HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HammerTime » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:47 am

olyelr wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm
I went with wk sliders. Drilling all those holes in the body to mount the aluminess ones scared the hell out of me. The rockers would be swiss cheese in no time around here with all the road salt in the winter.

The aluminess offer a lot more ground clearance per se, but really the wk ones dont hang anywhere near as low as the frame does, sooooooo....
There is no drilling required. They mount in holes already there for factory steps.

HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HammerTime » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:52 am

chrisjameswagner wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 pm
They're called "sliders".

Aluminess work as designed.

Cottonwood Ledge.jpg
Yes, I went 4x4ing at Truck Haven a few weeks ago with my Aluminess sliders on the Power Wagon. They saved both sides rocker panels. Best $750 I've spent on the truck so far! LOL! They worked as designed on my 2010 and 2013 also.

HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HammerTime » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:53 am

chrisjameswagner wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm
BoldAdventure wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am

I think so. Know I've done that a few times. Tell you they hold up 10,000 times better than any of the stock skid plates and cross members...
I did bend the Aluminess sliders on my 2013 Power Wagon from a big hit. No damage to the truck however. They work.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 am

HammerTime wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:47 am
olyelr wrote:
I went with wk sliders. Drilling all those holes in the body to mount the aluminess ones scared the hell out of me. The rockers would be swiss cheese in no time around here with all the road salt in the winter.

The aluminess offer a lot more ground clearance per se, but really the wk ones dont hang anywhere near as low as the frame does, sooooooo....
There is no drilling required. They mount in holes already there for factory steps.

Hmm, I must be thinking of another brand. They basically mounted to the body with a bunch of rivets.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:39 am

olyelr wrote:
HammerTime wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:47 am
olyelr wrote:

Hmm, I must be thinking of another brand. They basically mounted to the body with a bunch of rivets.
Randy Ellis.

John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Beat me to it. The Randy Ellis design is the one I don't trust. It just looks like you could push it into the cab. But then again, maybe it's fine and I'm wrong. I'd be willing to admit that.

But you know what, you can easily remove WK sliders and move them to another truck, or sell them. Those Randy Ellis rock guards are more permanent.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Yea, the Randy Ellis ones must be what I was originally thinking of. The strength part isnt just the only issue in my mind with those... the rockers would be swiss cheese after a few winters no doubt. All the salt getting into all of those drilled rivet holes would be bery bad.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

jakestopp244

Post by jakestopp244 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 pm

any updates on the wk sponsoring the site been waiting on sliders. im haveing a hard time dropping 1300 bucks when i can get a set made up and design some frame brackets and legs for quite a bit cheaper, so with that said has anyone here made a custom set i can see pictures of? if not hopefully they can hook us up and ill be able to bite the bullet on a set.
2012 pw
mod list: thuren 3inch coils, adjustable shackles and overland shocks, carli track bar short arms and steering stabilizer, daystar airbag cradles, evo manual sway bar disco, arh long tube headers, diablosport trinity with jay greene 92 octane tune, s&b cai, vision x 4.5 cannons on a pillars, custom plastic cnc switch panel, factor 55 prolink, retired blm's locker bypass

AlaskaTRX
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by AlaskaTRX » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:15 am

jakestopp244 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 pm
any updates on the wk sponsoring the site been waiting on sliders. im haveing a hard time dropping 1300 bucks when i can get a set made up and design some frame brackets and legs for quite a bit cheaper, so with that said has anyone here made a custom set i can see pictures of? if not hopefully they can hook us up and ill be able to bite the bullet on a set.
While expensive, the WK sliders are the best built skids I’ve ever seen, and I’ve fully armored up a few Jeeps in my day.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 am

The WK are top notch. My 2nd gen ones were very nice and much cheaper. But welded to the outer frame. The WK are no comparison. They are so precise and fit awesome. Again. The Aluminess might be great, haven’t tried them. But for a frame mounted, no drilling required I doubt you can get anywhere close to the WK of you value your time.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

RamGentry
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by RamGentry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 am

I bought the aluminess sliders from a member on this forum. They mount up to existing hole so I didnt have to drill into anything and have been solid for me. No complaints. My main motivation for these sliders was honestly money, I got a pretty good deal when compared to buying new. Now that being said, WK would still be my #1 choice. If your planning on needing to pivot on the sliders often I'd say go frame mounted and thicker tubing. For me they are a nice step and protection when I'm on the (~ 10 trips/year)
If I start listing Mods I would have to change the list daily
My build thread http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=3593

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:00 pm

IMO, if you have to pay someone to fab up a set of sliders, and you want them to mimic the look and strength of wk sliders, your gonna be into the same price range as a set of wk sliders. Might save on the shipping part, thats about it.

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by EasyDoesIt » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:48 pm

olyelr wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:00 pm
IMO, if you have to pay someone to fab up a set of sliders, and you want them to mimic the look and strength of wk sliders, your gonna be into the same price range as a set of wk sliders. Might save on the shipping part, thats about it.
Agreed. Total material cost might be less than a few hundred but fab labor adds up quick. You might save $2-300 but the risk of them not being right or strong enough for these pigs probably isn't worth it.

This is coming from a guy who with the help of a couple friends fab'd up my own knock off WK sliders. It took 2 guys 24 hours to build and paint, granted there were a few beer breaks.

Tools needed include a band saw, drill press, bender with 1-3/4" die, welder, grinder w/flapper and cutting wheels, and $30 worth of spray paint. Things that help are a chop saw and plasma cutter.
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

jakestopp244

Post by jakestopp244 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:13 pm

well see thats my dilema my uncle owns a offroad fabrication shop and sells a shit ton of sliders so id be able to get a set of sliders themselfs from him and it would be cheap, all i would do is fabricate my own frame plates and legs but thats where im wondering if my time to make the sliders fit right is gunna pan out.
2012 pw
mod list: thuren 3inch coils, adjustable shackles and overland shocks, carli track bar short arms and steering stabilizer, daystar airbag cradles, evo manual sway bar disco, arh long tube headers, diablosport trinity with jay greene 92 octane tune, s&b cai, vision x 4.5 cannons on a pillars, custom plastic cnc switch panel, factor 55 prolink, retired blm's locker bypass

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:50 pm

jakestopp244 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:13 pm
well see thats my dilema my uncle owns a offroad fabrication shop and sells a shit ton of sliders so id be able to get a set of sliders themselfs from him and it would be cheap, all i would do is fabricate my own frame plates and legs but thats where im wondering if my time to make the sliders fit right is gunna pan out.
Depends on how good you are :lol:

The wk sliders fit flawlessly. But, there are several areas where there is legit like 1/4” or less of room to where they would not even fit. When you get under there and really look... SHIT IS TIGHT!

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Sliders

Post by Low_Sky » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:34 pm

olyelr wrote:
jakestopp244 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:13 pm
Depends on how good you are :lol:

The wk sliders fit flawlessly. But, there are several areas where there is legit like 1/4” or less of room to where they would not even fit. When you get under there and really look... SHIT IS TIGHT!
This. Everyone “knows a guy” that could weld a set. And they’ll spend a whole weekend or more measuring, and calculating, and figuring to get everything to fit. Only doing three mounting legs is a common shortcut I see on customs, just skipping the forward end of the slider altogether (the tightest/trickiest to fit, where most of the truck’s weight is).

You buy from White Knuckle and they’re done. Unwrap them, bolt them on and go wheeling.

It’s a question of how good you are, what fab tools you have access to, and what your time is worth. There is no one right answer for all, but for most it’s to just buy White Knuckles.

John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

jakestopp244

Post by jakestopp244 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:30 pm

to be honest i havent looked at where i would mount all of the legs as much as ive been under the truck haha but i got more time than extra money to blow, defintly gotta look into it more ive put sliders on my toyotas and it was like a night after work with a buddy to mount up and weld so leaning toward taking the challenge still
2012 pw

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 pm

I have done some pre-fab welded ones on my second gen. The fourth gen is so much more complicated, not to mention, I prefer not welding to the frame. Plus, a lot of wires and other things going on compared to the second gen. The WK are works of art. How they made them to bolt on and support this kind of weight (that's the other thing to consider.). My 2nd gen was no where near this heavy and until I did the exocage, they would flex and put dents in the body at the legs. 2" 3/8" wall DOM. Big dents in the bed.

The WK don't move at all, including when I smoked a steel post filled with the cement at the airport. Just scratched the powder coat.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

jakestopp244

Post by jakestopp244 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:18 pm

alright i think im leaning toward wk now haha defintly gotta sleep on this one i just enjoy building my own stuff thats why i was pushing for mounting my own sliders but on a expensive new rig i like the idea of using something thats been trail tested. and crazy how helpfull everyone here is most online offroad forums are pretty ruthless
2012 pw