The Power Wagon Curse

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

The Power Wagon Curse

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:47 pm

I am flat exhausted today. Went in and out twice and spent hours recovering vehicles from snowy hills and ditches. Everyone's holiday guests wanted to bail out before the next two monster storms and I had to tow them out of our neighborhood. Everyone in town is like " oooh, mountains look pretty lets take our crappy AWD car up and go hiking" And 12 freaking CCC vans full of kids coming up to do trail work in the storms. :doh:

This guy with 35s on a Grand Cherokee and huge lift is stuck, I am like lock your diffs. But the thing just had AWD, huh?
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: The Power Wagon Curse

Post by RustyPW » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:12 pm

:lol: I charge stupid people. The lower the IQ, the higher the price.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:18 pm

:rofl:

The reason i'm requested to go on some site trips is because I have a "monster truck" that can get others unstuck. :o

DiazOsos
Model Year: 2018

Post by DiazOsos » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:31 pm

What comes around goes around. You did the right thing. Plus some kid will grow up and want a powerwagon one day instead taking the walk of shame to a Subaru. Well done sir!

machete-lc
Model Year: 2015

Post by machete-lc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 pm

How did/do the KM3s work in the snow? Tomorrow should be an interesting day in the Metro area. Nobody knows how to drive in the snow.
2015 Tradesman. 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, White Knuckle Sliders/Steps, Abel Components Nanny Delete, Locker Bypass, Swaybar Bypass, Dethloff Skid Plate, Snug Top Rebel Topper, Decked Bed Storage, front and rear Thuren Trackbars, Fox ATS-Steering Stabilizer, Thuren .5 inch coils, Fox 2.0 shocks front and rear

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:54 am

I drove 200 miles in the snow for work today. This is the truck to have. Not a curse. I love that it looks like a regular 3/4 ton
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:25 am

ramv wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:54 am
I drove 200 miles in the snow for work today. This is the truck to have. Not a curse. I love that it looks like a regular 3/4 ton
Every now and then I get caught up in the look of the new ones... but then I step back and take a good look at mine and remember why I searched high and wide for it. I love the relatively low key look.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Oh my god, another day. I head up and road is clogged with AWD vehicles( including Telemundo TV or what ever) and regular pick ups. I cleared my driveway with the snow blower but a rear locker now BARELY gets you in and out of the neighborhood. We have to get the county going, or snow plow fixed, or get someones skid steer up here. Its out of control. Does no good if the PW is the only vehicle able to get out.

As far as KM3s. FREAKING AWESOME! Seriously, these things are kicking ass. Drove through a blizzard 5hrs round trip in everything from ice covered to 3' of snow. Mostly of the time I can idle up hill on shear ice when no one else CAN EVEN MOVE. I am now using rear locker continuously, and to pull people up hills its both lockers for sure. These are the best BFGs to date, hands down. Used them my entire life but never seen ice traction like this.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:40 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:01 pm

As far as KM3s. FREAKING AWESOME! Seriously, these things are kicking ass. Drove through a blizzard 5hrs round trip in everything from ice covered to 3' of snow. Mostly of the time I can idle up hill on shear ice when no one else CAN EVEN MOVE. I am now using rear locker continuously, and to pull people up hills its both lockers for sure. These are the best BFGs to date, hands down. Used them my entire life but never seen ice traction like this.

The km3’s?! You sure?! 🤣

(Put up a review on the tire review thread).
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:56 am

I just want to say as a Noob with only a year in a PW, these things are so awesome in the Snow. I attribute that to a lot of things, none seem particularly ground breaking on there own. Ram engineers seem to have really tuned things nicely.

1. Ground Clearance ( Of course)
2. 35's ( ok so Ram Cheaped out with 33" Dura Trash, but they fit and are part of the capability)
3. Front and Rear lockers ( yes another DUH)
4. LSD when unlocked. This is possibly single most important feature. To have a well balanced LSD for high range use on highways when lockers would be quite dangerous at high speed rounds the truck out and means even off-road I can get home with out low range and lockers. (well not now) I forgot how awesome it was in the Old Monteros. Now if they only had ABS back then.....
5. Traction control and its mapping. I have seen many complaints here, I can only assume its for older models. Its fantastic, it can lay low and increase as I need it slowly, or hit a little harder when I need it to with out stalling the wheel spin.
6. ABS braking is well balanced, never seems to get in the way at all.
7. Wider track then typical 2500. Very stable in high speed conditions, never seems to waiver.
8. Stability control. Again well set and takes a slide where you want it to lick in to kick in.
9. Gearing. Gearing seems low enough in low range to always move, but on ice not enough to create to much torque.
10. Engine power. Enough to light the candles when you need it.
11. Smooth take off in bad conditions. Lots of things come together here, but to be on glassy ice on a steep hill and so easy to just ease forward is awesome. My 2005 Titan would kick tires loose for sure.
12. Weight, well it sucks for gas mileage, and for some off road situations, but it helps in the snow. ( unless you bury it up to the windows of course :lol: )

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:34 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:I just want to say as a Noob with only a year in a PW, these things are so awesome in the Snow. I attribute that to a lot of things, none seem particularly ground breaking on there own. Ram engineers seem to have really tuned things nicely.

1. Ground Clearance ( Of course)
2. 35's ( ok so Ram Cheaped out with 33" Dura Trash, but they fit and are part of the capability)
3. Front and Rear lockers ( yes another DUH)
4. LSD when unlocked. This is possibly single most important feature. To have a well balanced LSD for high range use on highways when lockers would be quite dangerous at high speed rounds the truck out and means even off-road I can get home with out low range and lockers. (well not now) I forgot how awesome it was in the Old Monteros. Now if they only had ABS back then.....
5. Traction control and its mapping. I have seen many complaints here, I can only assume its for older models. Its fantastic, it can lay low and increase as I need it slowly, or hit a little harder when I need it to with out stalling the wheel spin.
6. ABS braking is well balanced, never seems to get in the way at all.
7. Wider track then typical 2500. Very stable in high speed conditions, never seems to waiver.
8. Stability control. Again well set and takes a slide where you want it to lick in to kick in.
9. Gearing. Gearing seems low enough in low range to always move, but on ice not enough to create to much torque.
10. Engine power. Enough to light the candles when you need it.
11. Smooth take off in bad conditions. Lots of things come together here, but to be on glassy ice on a steep hill and so easy to just ease forward is awesome. My 2005 Titan would kick tires loose for sure.
12. Weight, well it sucks for gas mileage, and for some off road situations, but it helps in the snow. ( unless you bury it up to the windows of course Image )
Yes stability control and traction control are great! SOMETIMES! Because sometimes they try and kill you or at minimum prevent you from doing stuff. I like what they did, i just want the ability to turn all that crap off... lock the rear in 2high and rooster tail some shit!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:36 am

olyelr wrote:
ramv wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:54 am
Every now and then I get caught up in the look of the new ones... but then I step back and take a good look at mine and remember why I searched high and wide for it. I love the relatively low key look.
I hear ya. I really regretted not getting the 17 for a bit. But now I'm glad I have a 16 Laramie that I've made my own. Too many 17s and 18s running around. I'll post pics once the bumper goes on here in a week or so...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Just got back from saving a Nissan Frontier cliff diver. Weeeeeeeee

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:43 am

No shit, I always take photos of the best recoveries and forgot this time! :angry:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:No shit, I always take photos of the best recoveries and forgot this time! :angry:
No guff from me. When I’m blocking a road or a busy rail with a recovery, I never take pics. Too busy hustling to get out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am

Exactly, and its non stop. The neighbors Tundra fell apart plowing yesterday and wedged sideways on a hill. Had to bust out the snatch block on that one. He went and bought a new Tundra last night. Hoping the electronic LSD gizmo and IFS will do it. Says somewhere he saw the Tundra rated #4 best plow truck. I find that hard to believe.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am
Exactly, and its non stop. The neighbors Tundra fell apart plowing yesterday and wedged sideways on a hill. Had to bust out the snatch block on that one. He went and bought a new Tundra last night. Hoping the electronic LSD gizmo and IFS will do it. Says somewhere he saw the Tundra rated #4 best plow truck. I find that hard to believe.
I see oodles of plow trucks all winter long... fords, chevys, dodges... but I dont think I have ever in my life even seen a Tundra with a plow on it. They must be great!

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:17 am

olyelr wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 am
FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
I see oodles of plow trucks all winter long... fords, chevys, dodges... but I dont think I have ever in my life even seen a Tundra with a plow on it. They must be great!
Women don't usually do the snow plowing...

:popcorn:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Lazarus
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by Lazarus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 pm

We were leaving a ski resort in Idaho this past weekend and saw a Prius ripping out of the lot. We thought it was pretty funny how fast he was going, then about 3 miles down the road we find his Prius buried in a snow bank around a turn haha. Winched him out and laughed about it the whole way home haha.
Attachments
IMG_6687.JPG

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:32 pm

olyelr wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 am
FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Most plow trucks are 3/4. Only seen a handful of 1/2 tons. And those 1/2 tons happen to have a solid front axle. The 2G Rams and older. Seen a Jeep CJ with an 8ft plow once. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:12 pm

My old neighbor had IFS on his plow rig. I think it was a Honda, don't know my four wheelers that well.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Wish I had a pic of the UPS truck I pulled off the driveway last year.

On the plow discussion.... :doh: :lol: I don't know why this is a thing.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 pm

I told him;

1. Need a rear locker
2. Solid front Axle
3. 2500

I found two left over 2018 PW for him and he sends me a text.....I had to go with my Heart. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:12 pm
My old neighbor had IFS on his plow rig. I think it was a Honda, don't know my four wheelers that well.
In my neck of the woods. Never seen a IFS truck with a plow.

My brother had a 1988 Dodge 2500 with a plow. When I worked at the power plant. I drove a 2004 ferb f250 with a plow. On both of those trucks. I've broken the plow frames a couple of times.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ