I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Post Reply
RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4858
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by RustyPW » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:28 am

Well, I had to take my PW to the dealership for work.

While at the OBX a couple weeks ago. My A/C started to blow hot air. I was thinking of the problem Ducky had with this. Start up and it would blow cold air, then hot, then cold again. Same problem as Ducky. So I took it in. They check the system. Hardly any freon in it. They recharged it and put a dye in it too. This is the first time the system has been looked at since I bought the PW over 10 years ago. While I was picking the PW up. I asked about replacing the broken exhaust studs, and would that be covered under my Life Time Powertrain Warranty. They looked it up and said yes. :rockon: So I took the PW back in Wednesday evening. They worked on the PW Thursday and finished it up. Picked the PW up this morning. No charge for replacing all of the studs on the right side of the motor. :rockon: My motor is quite again. Plus they checked the A/C sytem for leaks. No leaks found. :D

The only time my PW has seen a dealership service bay was to do recalls and to change the clock spring under the steering wheel.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DiazOsos
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:13 pm
Model Year: 2018
Location: Burnet Texas

Re: I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by DiazOsos » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:21 pm

That’s awesome! I’m about to take mine in to have the cable replaced on the winch. My daughter got stuck in the sand at Turkey bend and I got the call. Since it was pretty far out I had to run the cable out about 75’ and discovered it had a nasty fray and smashed section about 60’ ish out. I told the dealership about it at my last oil change and they ordered the cable without any issues. They said they’d never encountered that issue before though. It was something that couldn’t be missed by whoever strung it. Sounds like you were treated right too.

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3645
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by olyelr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm

They gave you a new cable?!??!??!

Wow.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 867
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:10 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:28 am
They checked the system. Hardly any freon in it. They recharged it and put a dye in it too. This is the first time the system has been looked at since I bought the PW over 10 years ago... ...Plus they checked the A/C sytem for leaks. No leaks found. :D
Now that there's dye in the system it will be easier to find a leak if one exists. In the future if you suspect an evaporator leak, you should see dye stains around the condensation drain tube. Look the whole system over for any signs of refrigerant oil residue. The most difficult leak I ever found was the compressor shaft seal, because it's hidden and covered by the clutch and pulley. I've also seen dye sweating right through the wall of rubber flex hoses that have gone bad (hundreds of tiny dye dots on the surface).

When I read the title of this thread, I hesitated clicking on it for fear that I would read that you were the next victim of "new truck envy" while you were at the dealership. So glad to hear that they helped you out! :rockon:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4858
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by RustyPW » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:10 pm
RustyPW wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:28 am
They checked the system. Hardly any freon in it. They recharged it and put a dye in it too. This is the first time the system has been looked at since I bought the PW over 10 years ago... ...Plus they checked the A/C sytem for leaks. No leaks found. :D
Now that there's dye in the system it will be easier to find a leak if one exists. In the future if you suspect an evaporator leak, you should see dye stains around the condensation drain tube. Look the whole system over for any signs of refrigerant oil residue. The most difficult leak I ever found was the compressor shaft seal, because it's hidden and covered by the clutch and pulley. I've also seen dye sweating right through the wall of rubber flex hoses that have gone bad (hundreds of tiny dye dots on the surface).

When I read the title of this thread, I hesitated clicking on it for fear that I would read that you were the next victim of "new truck envy" while you were at the dealership. So glad to hear that they helped you out! :rockon:
I'm going to be buried in mine. Unlike 2sticky. :lol: When you find a truck like mine. You keep it. :rockon:

It's going to take a while for the dye to work through the system now as cold weather is sitting in. The A/C won't be working too much. See what spring brings.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DiazOsos
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:13 pm
Model Year: 2018
Location: Burnet Texas

Re: I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by DiazOsos » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:37 pm

olyelr wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm
They gave you a new cable?!??!??!

Wow.
Yes sir, I am a survive writers nightmare. So if I’m winching something and the cable snaps. While my 8 year granddaughter is in the front seat and it shears half of her head off after it was documented that you refused to address it. I hate to be like that but these trucks aren’t cheap and I expect good service. I usually trade a truck in every 3-4 years too. Somebody will be getting a good truck when this one is traded in or sold. As of now and unless I get burned out on Ram then I’m probably getting another PW in Mohave sand. My wife’s Rub is that color and it wasn’t available when I ordered mine.

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3645
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by olyelr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:13 pm

DiazOsos wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:37 pm
olyelr wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm
They gave you a new cable?!??!??!

Wow.
Yes sir, I am a survive writers nightmare. So if I’m winching something and the cable snaps. While my 8 year granddaughter is in the front seat and it shears half of her head off after it was documented that you refused to address it. I hate to be like that but these trucks aren’t cheap and I expect good service. I usually trade a truck in every 3-4 years too. Somebody will be getting a good truck when this one is traded in or sold. As of now and unless I get burned out on Ram then I’m probably getting another PW in Mohave sand. My wife’s Rub is that color and it wasn’t available when I ordered mine.
Oh I unserstand your logic and desire to have it replaced. Im just amazed they didnt tell you that it is a wear item and you can go pound sand.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

DiazOsos
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:13 pm
Model Year: 2018
Location: Burnet Texas

Re: I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by DiazOsos » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 pm

olyelr wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:13 pm
DiazOsos wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:37 pm
olyelr wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm
They gave you a new cable?!??!??!

Wow.
Yes sir, I am a survive writers nightmare. So if I’m winching something and the cable snaps. While my 8 year granddaughter is in the front seat and it shears half of her head off after it was documented that you refused to address it. I hate to be like that but these trucks aren’t cheap and I expect good service. I usually trade a truck in every 3-4 years too. Somebody will be getting a good truck when this one is traded in or sold. As of now and unless I get burned out on Ram then I’m probably getting another PW in Mohave sand. My wife’s Rub is that color and it wasn’t available when I ordered mine.
I’m surprised too. Small town dealerships seem to be a little better than others. Not nearly as self important and appreciate loyal customers.

Oh I unserstand your logic and desire to have it replaced. Im just amazed they didnt tell you that it is a wear item and you can go pound sand.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1508
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: I had to take my PW to the dealership for work

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:51 pm

I don't even know if my A/C is fixed, because it always works fine around town. My refrigerant levels and pressures were fine in September when the problem started. The A/C clutch now has a new factory shim in it that brought clearance from about .025" to about .010". Factory spec is something like .016"-.024". Truck is going to southern AZ on Thanksgiving weekend so it might see some hot weather and long grades to duplicate the problem. It's been in the low 90s here this week but that's not enough to cause the problem, so might have to wait until next summer to sort it out.

I have no "new truck envy" when I see a new PW. I have so much time and money in mine that I just don't have the heart to do it again. Besides, the old truck does everything I want it to do, except keep me cool.

Post Reply