air bags

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

air bags

Post by rammit11 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi, just been looking through the posts about air bags and cradles. I have a 2016 and am having thoughts about adding bags to help out with trailer sag . I had them installed on my previous truck (2006 2500 slt) and really liked the fact that I could easily level the truck and improved the ride quality. I am curious to know if anyone has tried to figure out a longer bag for the Power wagons that allow the bag to be mounted to the axle vs the cradle setup. I have another question about the bag and cradle setup for those that are using them currently as to service life of the components and if there have been any m problems or concerns.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: air bags

Post by ramv » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:07 pm

I have had mine for a year with no concerns. And I beat on it pretty good as well as haul quite a bit of weight on occasion.

I Think the Cradles are great. Other option is the helliwigs as they are an 8" bag, I would assume they would stretch a bit more.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:22 pm

Well if you want long travel bags, maybe Carli’s setup for the earlier gens could be adapted? Might be quite a bit of work, though, since they were intended for leaf sprung trucks.

I also have had no issues with the bag/cradle setup.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:10 am

No issues. Not sure why I'd want them attached to the axle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I am a machinist by trade and tend to over engineer things when it comes to putting accessories on my equipment. I hate to have things fail because of a design that is not up to par. I was a little unsure of the thought that the cradle let things move around to much, and now hearing from those using the setup for a while and having no issues has helped ease my mind. Just one thing I have a question on is where the airlift bags place the fitting for the fill line ..are they on the outside of the frame rail or can they be mounted to the inboard side as well?

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:04 pm

rammit11 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 pm
Thanks for the info guys. I am a machinist by trade and tend to over engineer things when it comes to putting accessories on my equipment. I hate to have things fail because of a design that is not up to par. I was a little unsure of the thought that the cradle let things move around to much, and now hearing from those using the setup for a while and having no issues has helped ease my mind. Just one thing I have a question on is where the airlift bags place the fitting for the fill line ..are they on the outside of the frame rail or can they be mounted to the inboard side as well?
The fill line is directly on top of the bags, I wanna say near the center but cant really remember for sure. My air lines come off the bag along the exterior of the frame rail, and then get routed into the frame through a hole, and then get routed to the end of the frame and to the license plate area where the vales are located.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 pm

Here is a link to a write up I did with some pics...

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4732

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Mine is the same. Works well being outside the frame as you have access to change the fitting if it goes bad. I also laced mine through the boxed frame and out to some holes just below the tailgate. No new holes at all.

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:01 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:21 pm
Mine is the same. Works well being outside the frame as you have access to change the fitting if it goes bad. I also laced mine through the boxed frame and out to some holes just below the tailgate. No new holes at all.

Yes I remember seeing a pic of that... wish i had done that instead.

BTW, did the hardware for the two air chucks start rusting on yours? Mine are bad, but everything else is fine.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 pm

Nope, no rust. Just a valve went bad.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:16 am

TankerZak wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 pm
Nope, no rust. Just a valve went bad.

Oh that reminds me. The leak in mine was the valve stem. It was loose. Tightened it up and the bubbles went away.

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 pm

olyelr , does the upper mount plate cause any issues with the sidewall of the tire at full squish? Hard to see how close to the tire the plate is from the pics. Liking how the airlifter mounts the bag to a more vertically straight line vs what the firestone system does. I see the pics on the site show no lower mounting plate under the cradle, would using the provided lower mount plate be of any advantage to mount the cradle?

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:03 pm

rammit11 wrote:olyelr , does the upper mount plate cause any issues with the sidewall of the tire at full squish? Hard to see how close to the tire the plate is from the pics. Liking how the airlifter mounts the bag to a more vertically straight line vs what the firestone system does. I see the pics on the site show no lower mounting plate under the cradle, would using the provided lower mount plate be of any advantage to mount the cradle?
Dude, I'm an engineer and architect by trade. Your waaaay over thinking this one man. System works ideally as is. Install guide is legit perfect. Tap and drill the bumpstop pad... throw out the lower bracketry and attach it up. I ran this system in Moab with 37x12.5R17 tires on OEM rims. Never hit it even at full stuff. Only thing you might want to do depending on your use is look at the Airlift Wireless One i think it's called for onboard air.

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:50 pm

TankerZak, sorry if i seem to be a PIA and appreciate all the members input and patience with me. I just want to make sure I am getting a full understanding as to what needs to be done before I pull the trigger and spend the money, find it better to ask questions and do the right thing one time and be done. I already have the OBA system and cab mount control for filling and dumping the bags from my 2006 2500.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:35 am

You're not being a PIA at all. I truly appreciate someone who over thinks everything just like I do. Just trying to help you out. And yeah i still occasionally think about OBA. I even know where i'd mount it... just haven't done it because i only air them up and down a dozen times a year.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:42 am

Im done dicking with using a compressor and hose to fill the bags (well, soon anyway lol). It just makes this really nice setup kinda halfass. I too only use them a dozen times a year give or take. But im done. Im gonna splurge on that wireless one setup I think. Push a few buttons on a remote and the damn bags air up to your desired setting. Done.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 am

olyelr wrote:Im done dicking with using a compressor and hose to fill the bags (well, soon anyway lol). It just makes this really nice setup kinda halfass. I too only use them a dozen times a year give or take. But im done. Im gonna splurge on that wireless one setup I think. Push a few buttons on a remote and the damn bags air up to your desired setting. Done.
Problem is If i go that route then I want to install airlines and chucks for airing up and down the tires on the trail as well. Then it's a big project and I don't do it, lol. I always air my tires and bags together. So airing up my tires I have to get the compressor out it just makes onboard useless, at least for me. Unless I go full monty and wire it up with a chuck per side and full on system, etc.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 am

TankerZak wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 am
olyelr wrote:Im done dicking with using a compressor and hose to fill the bags (well, soon anyway lol). It just makes this really nice setup kinda halfass. I too only use them a dozen times a year give or take. But im done. Im gonna splurge on that wireless one setup I think. Push a few buttons on a remote and the damn bags air up to your desired setting. Done.
Problem is If i go that route then I want to install airlines and chucks for airing up and down the tires on the trail as well. Then it's a big project and I don't do it, lol. I always air my tires and bags together. So airing up my tires I have to get the compressor out it just makes onboard useless, at least for me. Unless I go full monty and wire it up with a chuck per side and full on system, etc.

That's where I'm at too. I run a constant 10PSI in the bags. I want to do OBA but it sounds like another $2k project because i can't help but add everything else.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:21 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
TankerZak wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 am

That's where I'm at too. I run a constant 10PSI in the bags. I want to do OBA but it sounds like another $2k project because i can't help but add everything else.
Exactly!!! Bumpers are next and I'm eyeing a new LR hunting rifle so just not in the cards right now. And I don't need it unless I do it all... and I think bumpers with associated wiring and lights is about a 5k project...

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:23 am

That has been my hangup as well... wanting to do it all at once. Thats why I have come to the conclusion that I might as well just do the wireless one system in itself, just for the bags. Its pretty straight forward. Then, when I have gumption to tackle onboard air, I will.

Plus, I adjust my bags way more than I adjust my tire pressure.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:32 am

olyelr wrote:That has been my hangup as well... wanting to do it all at once. Thats why I have come to the conclusion that I might as well just do the wireless one system in itself, just for the bags. Its pretty straight forward. Then, when I have gumption to tackle onboard air, I will.

If i did that i totally would too. I run my tires at 38/32 f/r and bags at 0psi but 50/50 and 30 PSI for towing with WD and 50/50/50 for non WD. So anytime i go to tow I end up screwing with everything at the same time. (50 is max PSI for my 37s)

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am

TankerZak wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:32 am
olyelr wrote:That has been my hangup as well... wanting to do it all at once. Thats why I have come to the conclusion that I might as well just do the wireless one system in itself, just for the bags. Its pretty straight forward. Then, when I have gumption to tackle onboard air, I will.

If i did that i totally would too. I run my tires at 38/32 f/r and bags at 0psi but 50/50 and 30 PSI for towing with WD and 50/50/50 for non WD. So anytime i go to tow I end up screwing with everything at the same time. (50 is max PSI for my 37s)

Oh, I get what yiu are saying. Basically, in order for you to use your bags you are filling tires anyway.

Sounds like you might as well just do onboard air and be done with it.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Agreed when I can afford it in the list of priorities. It's not quite annoying enough yet... and I'm not sure it will be for a dozen times a year or less.

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Hello again, How is the the proper placement of the cradles on the axle pad determined in relation to the bag ? I have a pretty good idea of how to do it , just want to see if I my thoughts are correct. Thanks .

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:30 pm

rammit11 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:44 pm
Hello again, How is the the proper placement of the cradles on the axle pad determined in relation to the bag ? I have a pretty good idea of how to do it , just want to see if I my thoughts are correct. Thanks .
I think i pointed that out in my little write-up. Its a bit tricky, because as the axles droops down it moves to the passenger side and forward. Make sure its centered under the bag when the axle is up and the cradle is making contact with the bag. Then mark the location. Then, when you droop the axle way down to make room for drilling/tapping, it will look WAY off hahahah.