Fed up!!! (More dura trash)

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
POk3s
Model Year: 2017

Re: Fed up!!! (More dura trash)

Post by POk3s » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm

06 wagon that may be the case but I can't hahahaha. I just can't.

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:55 pm

What load range are the stock Duratracs? A Power Wagon should only have Load Range D or E tires. They're not using Load Range C Duratracs are they? If so that is the issue.

I'm in Wyoming as well. I've had Hankook MT's and AT's. The AT's sucked, the MT's were okay. I now have the Cooper ST Maxx and they are awesome. Do great on road (a little hum, but not bad). Are superior off road and do great on wet roads, in snow, and ice. My mileage did drop when I went from the Load Range D MT's to the load range E tires.
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:47 pm

They are load range D.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

POk3s

Post by POk3s » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:36 am

Yes they're load range D.

I had my mind all but made up to buy some coopers. Either maxx or pros. Figured I'd make a post on an online garage to see if anybody had some laying around. A guy did! Some firestone destination mts he's willing to sell me for $450. So that's the route I took. These tires weren't really on my radar but...bird in the hand.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:56 pm

I have said this before, I think the manufacturers tires that are on many new vehicles are either made to a different standard or they are blems that they buy in LARGE quantities to get huge discounts.

Vehicles that we bought new that had tire problems of one sort or another & they only last half as long.
Chrysler Labaron
2 Subarus
2 Toyotas
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Caprice
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Power Wagon

All the people i worked with over the years had stories of stock tires wearing out way too fast or belts shifting or constant flats from belts shifting or bubbles in the sidewalls, etc. Even on the internet tire shops reviews, there are reviews that say stock tires were junk, replaced with aftermarket tires of same brand & model & no more issues.

Things that make you go hmmmm. :roll:

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:56 pm
I have said this before, I think the manufacturers tires that are on many new vehicles are either made to a different standard or they are blems that they buy in LARGE quantities to get huge discounts.

Vehicles that we bought new that had tire problems of one sort or another & they only last half as long.
Chrysler Labaron
2 Subarus
2 Toyotas
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Caprice
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Power Wagon

All the people i worked with over the years had stories of stock tires wearing out way too fast or belts shifting or constant flats from belts shifting or bubbles in the sidewalls, etc. Even on the internet tire shops reviews, there are reviews that say stock tires were junk, replaced with aftermarket tires of same brand & model & no more issues.

I never lost a sidewall on any of the OEM tires on any of my trucks. Not until duratrash. The sidewalls are THIN. I've had flats, sure, but those were from running over nails and such.

Now you wouldn't think Goodyear would deliberately kill replacement sales by selling the OEM crap tires, would you?
I wouldn't take another set of them if they were free.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:46 pm

TwinStick wrote:

Chrysler Labaron
2 Subarus
2 Toyotas
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Caprice
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Power Wagon

My wife's car came with a set of high end Toyo's. They are anything but cheap. I'm not surprised Subaru came with shitty tires, their primary demographic are liberals.

Punishher7
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Punishher7 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:25 pm

[/quote]I wouldn't take another set of them if they were free.[/quote]

I completely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by NickTF » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:46 pm

My wife's car came with a set of high end Toyo's. They are anything but cheap. I'm not surprised Subaru came with shitty tires, their primary demographic are liberals.
So what you're saying is the subaru tire assaulted the driver and the tire should be presumed guilty until the driver's feelings aren't hurt?

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
TwinStick wrote:

Chrysler Labaron
2 Subarus
2 Toyotas
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Caprice
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Power Wagon

You're thinking of the PRIUS :wink: not the smooth - reliable - long lasting 4wd Subaru
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

dimrod

Post by dimrod » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:19 am

My Duratracs didn't last 8,000 miles. Constant flat tires and ruined one completely. Switched to same size BFGoodrich KO2s and have had 8,000 trouble free miles on the same gravel roads here in Western Alaska. Duratracs are junk on those types of surfaces. The gravel easily punches through the tread between the lugs.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
TwinStick wrote:

Chrysler Labaron
2 Subarus
2 Toyotas
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Caprice
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Power Wagon

:rofl: So true! Every Subi owner I know is one. :o
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Including my kids...............after they went to college that is !!! They were not before college. They brainwash all the kids these days. They are experts at using/manipulating statistics to sell their bullshit to young impressionable minds. When someone (like me) confronts one of them (like my son), they just say "your statistics are wrong & refuse to accept them, even though they are legit. Then they say "you can't believe everything you see on the internet". But they have no problem showing & using things from the internet when it "proves their point." It is actually quite comical yet also sad at the same time. I told them: the older you get, the more you will see why your mom & dad think & feel the way we do about things. :rofl: I told them it will be like that insurance commercial on tv............we can't stop you from becoming your parents ! :lol:

HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HammerTime » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:54 am

TwinStick wrote:

Chrysler Labaron
2 Subarus
2 Toyotas
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Caprice
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Power Wagon

LOL!

I've also had plenty of issues with the stock Firestone tires on my Ram 2500 trucks with the Cummins also. Terrible tires. The Duratracks that came on my Power Wagon? They were off my truck at about 1000 miles so I'm not sure. I've had pretty good luck with the 315/70/R17 Procomp MT2s I replace them with, although they are a bit noisy. No real wear showing so far, and I'm at a touch over 10,000 miles on 'em. No flats, and very reasonable off road traction.

I've also had trouble with the Pirelli P Zero Neros on my Challenger Hellcat. They only last about 8000 miles...

:lol:
2017 White/Black Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:58 am

bahahahahahahahahaha :lol:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:11 pm

HammerTime wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:54 am
TwinStick wrote:

Chrysler Labaron
2 Subarus
2 Toyotas
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Caprice
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Power Wagon

LOL!

I've also had plenty of issues with the stock Firestone tires on my Ram 2500 trucks with the Cummins also. Terrible tires. The Duratracks that came on my Power Wagon? They were off my truck at about 1000 miles so I'm not sure. I've had pretty good luck with the 315/70/R17 Procomp MT2s I replace them with, although they are a bit noisy. No real wear showing so far, and I'm at a touch over 10,000 miles on 'em. No flats, and very reasonable off road traction.

I've also had trouble with the Pirelli P Zero Neros on my Challenger Hellcat. They only last about 8000 miles...

:lol:
The Nero's are a soft sticky tire. You're not going to get any mileage out of that kind of tire. I get less that that with my 345/30-19 Michelin PSS's.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:48 pm

waldo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 pm
TwinStick wrote:

Chrysler Labaron
2 Subarus
2 Toyotas
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Caprice
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Power Wagon

I never lost a sidewall on any of the OEM tires on any of my trucks. Not until duratrash. The sidewalls are THIN. I've had flats, sure, but those were from running over nails and such.

Now you wouldn't think Goodyear would deliberately kill replacement sales by selling the OEM crap tires, would you?
I wouldn't take another set of them if they were free.
Normally, the answer would be & should be no. But knowing someone who used to work at a MAJOR tire Mfg plant put it to me this way:
Suppose you have 10-20,000 tires made & then you realize one of your machines, or one of your employees was doing something that was not quite right or just slightly out of specs. Do you take a 2million dollar hit ?What would you do ? What if it was 200,000 tires ? What if skipping one little step would save you-the Mfg-from being in the red ? What if you used a different, cheaper type of adhesive ? What if a heating element in one of your tire vulcanizer machines was not getting quite hot enough & the Mfg did not want to spend 10k to repair or 100'sk for a new machine ?

You get the picture. Bottom line is, everybody want stuff cheaper & if there is a market for it, it is gonna sell, like it or not. I believe they say "it is cheaper to entertain lawsuits if something fails, rather than to spend millions/billions to fix & admit to a problem/defect." No one ever admits to anything, unless they have to. ie: Firestone/Ford in the 80's or 90's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone ... ontroversy

23 million tires @ $100 each would be $23 billion, 300 million dollars ! Just sayin.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:07 am

Its not a QC issue on these. The sidewalls and belts are super thin. The belts fail the same way every time, a split under that fish skin detail. Truth is very few tires are made to go off-road. But when rental cars on cheap street tires go further then the mighty power wagon, its a problem. True story.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:27 pm

I just got my post purchase survey from RAM and spent most of it complaining about the weak tires.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

b40huckers

Post by b40huckers » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:56 pm

I am a fan of the Cooper STT Pro, ran them on my Silverado and Tundra. When the time comes they will go on the Power Wagon. :rockon:
H.D. Smith
2017 Power Wagon
2018 Charger Daytona
1999 GMC Suburban