Converting overall costs for capability

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
dodgeman324
50_Posts
50_Posts

Converting overall costs for capability

Post by dodgeman324 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:02 am

Hello all, I have been off the boards for a while because I ended up selling my latest PW for a Ram SRT-10. I miss going offroad though so going to come back to the arena very soon. However, I got a taste of a Turbo Cummins that my dad bought and fell in love with the diesel, both the power/torque and the MPG's. On the flip side, I want to be able to rockcrawl and offroad heavily, which is where the PW lives.

So, I'm sure this has been basically answered before but I couldn't find it with a search so sorry if I start another post on this. If I were to buy a 4th gen 2500 with diesel, Mega Cab, how much would it cost to put all the specific PW parts on the stock 2500? Ooooh, well I guess I won't be able to use the stock PW springs as they won't hold the weight of the diesel, but everything else I think should bolt up ok, right? Basically, I'd want the same lockers, sway disconnect, articulation that a PW has, and skids, on a MegaCab Cummins. Is it possible?

On a side note, I'm hearing rumors that Ram "might" be listening to us finally and will offer the Cummins in the upcoming PW's. If I get confirmation of this, I will wait and buy that for sure.
Brandon T. - HollyFrontier / US Army Reserves - 13+ years combined Active and Reserves with 1 tour to Iraq in 2009.
2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab, with lots of upgrades = 600+whp/650+wtq.
2012 Chrysler Town and Country Limited, Pentastar V6, Dual DVD.

Former Vehicles:
2005 Dodge Ram PowerWagon, lots of upgrades.
2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L, White, Black wheels, K&N CAI, 70mm Throttle body, Superships, E-Fan conversion, LED Tails/3rd Brake, HID's
2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet, Red, Sirius, Push button start, Pentastar.
2007 Dodge Powerwagon, 35inch Nitto's, AEM ColdAir, Flowmaster 40 (Oh I will miss you sooooooo much and I will buy you again when times are right)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, QuadraDrive II, 2 inch lift, 31inch offroad tires. (Will also miss you too, I'll miss all the times a guy in a Wrangler says "You can't do this in THAT!" and then I do it without problems)
2004 Dodge Durango Crew Cab, 4X2, Rhinoliner, K&N Airfilter.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit, Custom Headers, Borla exhaust, 508rwhp.
1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
1994 Dodge Ram Regular Cab (my first vehicle, besides the hand me down 1988 Ford Ranger)

Married 13 year, Father to Braden (9 yrs) and Mia (5 yrs).

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Converting overall costs for capability

Post by RustyPW » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:43 am

Don't think that there will be a diesel PW. Because the winch sits in the same place that the intercooler would be located at. Plus the diesel weight on the front axle.

The PW axles are doable. Find a set in a junk yard that isn't bent or buy new. Would have to hard wire the lockers. What I would do, is get a 4.5G 11.5 rear axle. Cut all of the brackets off of it. Like the coil spring perches, track bar bracket. And weld leaf spring perches on it. Change the gearing to 5.13's front and rear. Can't do that with the 10.5.

The smart bar. That's a wiring harness nightmare I would guess. Better off using quick connect sway bar links like on a Jeep.

Suspension. Wide open. Thuren, and Carli would be your best bet.

Winch. You will have to use an aftermarket Jay Leno chin bumper. Can't install the winch in the frame like a PW because of the intercooler.

Skid plates. The PW frame is different from the 2500 frame. Has it's own part number. The frame is drilled for all the skid plate brackets, where the 2500 is not. You would need someone's PW vin number to get the brackets and drill the hole yourself.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am

Get the Cummins mega and just do arb lockers and a Thuren or Carli torsion swaybar along with whatever suspension floats your boat. A mercenary bumper will fit a large frame warn winch without sticking out a half mile.

If you go with a 3500 the leaf spring rear allows fitment of 3” shocks/bypasses if you care about such things. You’re limited to 2.5 non bypass on the coil rear.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Colibri wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am
Get the Cummins mega and just do arb lockers and a Thuren or Carli torsion swaybar along with whatever suspension floats your boat. A mercenary bumper will fit a large frame warn winch without sticking out a half mile.

If you go with a 3500 the leaf spring rear allows fitment of 3” shocks/bypasses if you care about such things. You’re limited to 2.5 non bypass on the coil rear.
In other words... $15k in parts and labor.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Colibri wrote:Get the Cummins mega and just do arb lockers and a Thuren or Carli torsion swaybar along with whatever suspension floats your boat. A mercenary bumper will fit a large frame warn winch without sticking out a half mile.

This. The PW itself is full of compromises, and if you aren’t starting from a PW, you have a chance to improve in a couple areas.

Do ARB air lockers. Size your air system so you have onboard air. 4.88 or 5.13 gears.

Find a dead take-off PW Smart Bar, pull out the solenoid, replace it with the EVO Mfg air actuator.

Air lockers, air swaybar, onboard air. Air everything.

Carli or Thuren, yup.

Mercenary winch bumper, yup.

White Knuckle makes sliders for megacabs.

Not sure what size tank is on a mega Cummins, the PW tank is 31 gallons. Looks like the mega wheelbase is 10” or 11” longer than the PW, so the PW skids won’t fit right in (and you’d have to do some drilling if they did). If you’re serious about skids, you’re better off having something fabricated. The PW extra crossmember is weak anyway, they get bent if you use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:40 pm
Colibri wrote:Get the Cummins mega and just do arb lockers and a Thuren or Carli torsion swaybar along with whatever suspension floats your boat. A mercenary bumper will fit a large frame warn winch without sticking out a half mile.

This. The PW itself is full of compromises, and if you aren’t starting from a PW, you have a chance to improve in a couple areas.

Do ARB air lockers. Size your air system so you have onboard air. 4.88 or 5.13 gears.

Find a dead take-off PW Smart Bar, pull out the solenoid, replace it with the EVO Mfg air actuator.

Air lockers, air swaybar, onboard air. Air everything.

Carli or Thuren, yup.

Mercenary winch bumper, yup.

White Knuckle makes sliders for megacabs.

Not sure what size tank is on a mega Cummins, the PW tank is 31 gallons. Looks like the mega wheelbase is 10” or 11” longer than the PW, so the PW skids won’t fit right in (and you’d have to do some drilling if they did). If you’re serious about skids, you’re better off having something fabricated. The PW extra crossmember is weak anyway, they get bent if you use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather install OE PW electric lockers. 4.88 and 5.13 gears are too low for a Cummins truck.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Low_sky has a good idea with the take off smartbar + evo. That’s certainly a good alternative to a torsion bar.

I’d wager you’d be happier with 4.56 gears if on 37’s, which is a point in favor of swapping oem power wagon axles in if you can find them, oh wait, they only come with 4.10’s now lol Good luck with that.

If it comes down to buying lockers for your axles the arb is superior in almost every measurable way to the AAM tracrite gt/gtl
The only benefit the gtl has is it functions as a pretty darn good lsd when not activated. I sometimes miss that feature myself. Otherwise the arb is significantly stronger and more robust, especially in the 9.25 there’s very little price difference between a tracrite and arb if you have to buy new.

As far as cost goes, I’m not his financial advisor lol. Merely trying to help the man achieve his stated goal of having a Cummins powered mega pig rockcrawler.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Shaved Ice » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Something to consider, I have heard the PW swaybar disconnect will not support the additional weight of the diesel motor.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:12 am

user nts007 has actually done this, though not on that chassis. See his build thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=636 His part stars on the bottom of page 1
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Yeah but that guy’s got a few screws loose :cheers:

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:53 pm

1. You’ll go crazy and broke trying to replicate a factory designed PW in a non-PW truck, especially a diesel.
2. I’d order a 3500 SRW leaf spring quad, not Mega cab, with dual alternators, and the upfitter switch bank
3. Regear it to 4.56 on 37’s or 4.88 on 40’s
4. Install either a Eaton-Detroit (#250SL195A) http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/ ... 128302.pdf ... or ARB air locker
5. Install custom OBA, plumb to lockers and to quick disco-NPT fittings at all 4 tires, and run the electrical before cutting and welding skids & x-mbrs
6.order thuren king 2.5 extreme kit, specify PW coil height+ boggie bumps (use marcus)
7. Order thuren front axle truss kit
8. Order Purple Cranium rear ½ spider
9. Order Carli front diff-guard
10. Order AEV Wheels
11. Order AEV fender flares for either 37 or 40’s
12. Order AEV winch bumper + LED fogs & light bar
13. Wire lightbar, winch, lockers, and OBA to your factory installed upfitter switches

$15-$20k and you’re Done...and hope the temp doesn’t drop below 32F. :)
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:06 am

adeluca73 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:53 pm
1. You’ll go crazy and broke trying to replicate a factory designed PW in a non-PW truck, especially a diesel.
2. I’d order a 3500 SRW leaf spring quad, not Mega cab, with dual alternators, and the upfitter switch bank
3. Regear it to 4.56 on 37’s or 4.88 on 40’s
4. Install either a Eaton-Detroit (#250SL195A) http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/ ... 128302.pdf ... or ARB air locker
5. Install custom OBA, plumb to lockers and to quick disco-NPT fittings at all 4 tires, and run the electrical before cutting and welding skids & x-mbrs
6.order thuren king 2.5 extreme kit, specify PW coil height+ boggie bumps (use marcus)
7. Order thuren front axle truss kit
8. Order Purple Cranium rear ½ spider
9. Order Carli front diff-guard
10. Order AEV Wheels
11. Order AEV fender flares for either 37 or 40’s
12. Order AEV winch bumper + LED fogs & light bar
13. Wire lightbar, winch, lockers, and OBA to your factory installed upfitter switches

$15-$20k and you’re Done...and hope the temp doesn’t drop below 32F. :)
That's a great - well thought through plan! But man $80k for a truck :jawdrop:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:15 am

So here's a link to my build thread where I'm kiiiinda doing what you're talking about:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4510

Everyone's pretty much covered a lot of the finer points so I'll try not to cover anything that hasn't already been stated. To do what you're talking about, I think a 2013 or older 2500 would be the best platform to start with since they have the rear leaf springs and should help cut down on the overall costs. There are some random threads out there on the internet where a few guys have gone through and done the work to get PW skid plates fitted on diesels...but I would say unless you manage to pull the plates from a wreck it would realistically be easier and probably cheaper to just have a local shop fab some up.

The rear locker thing is a bit of a pain...ARB's are definitely the way to go but as stated no LSD when they're not locked like the factory electric. As of right now that's why I'm keeping the factory LSD in the rear...maybe someday down the road I'll screw around with trying a PW locker in the rear but don't want to deal with one electric and one air locker at the moment, that and an open diff rear end on a cummins IMO would be horrible for daily driving...I can barely keep the rear end from trying to pass the front when its just slightly damp out as is.

I'm still throwing around the idea of a winch and mercenary bumper vs. a Thuren bumper...I miss having a winch but at the moment am having a hard time justifying the cost, you're talking in the realm of $6k just for that set up...but there are definitely cheaper routes.

As far as overall cost....its gonna be a fair amount. What route you go with your suspension is going to really be one of the biggest chunks, not to mention the added cost of a diesel alone. If you go the deleted route, which you absolute should...another added cost...if you run any sort of tuner, headstuds. The list goes on and on
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

Longbomber
Model Year: 2013

Post by Longbomber » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:26 pm

If you are talking about capabilities of a stock PW, then a deisel with a thuren overland kit, thuren or carli sway bar, lockers, wheels/35's and a winch is going to be really close to a stock pw. Did the 3/4 or 1 ton dodge ever come with a rear locker? Honestly for my uses I could live without the front locker, for the money it would cost to add that I would rather put the cash into the suspension.

There are some great plans posted above, but to me they look like they go beyond a stock PW. If you want to compare to some of the trucks here then you would need a setup with a full blown suspension with king 2.5's and a Decent pile of $$

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:56 pm

The PW value is from the factory. Recreating is expensive. The only thing I would take source from Mopar is the wide frame winch mount (if you have a gasser). Otherwise aftermarket will be cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine, and would not buy a different truck, but I would only buy 3/4 ton gas crew cabs anyway, so it was a no brainer. (Well, I could see buying a Cummins/G56 combo.) If I had of bought a Ford instead, I was going to do a front ARB, Warn hidden winch mount and likely something similar on suspension to what I'll do on my PW.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:41 pm

ramv wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:56 pm
The PW value is from the factory. Recreating is expensive. The only thing I would take source from Mopar is the wide frame winch mount (if you have a gasser). Otherwise aftermarket will be cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine, and would not buy a different truck, but I would only buy 3/4 ton gas crew cabs anyway, so it was a no brainer. (Well, I could see buying a Cummins/G56 combo.) If I had of bought a Ford instead, I was going to do a front ARB, Warn hidden winch mount and likely something similar on suspension to what I'll do on my PW.
Can't use the factory winch brackets for his build. He's using a diesel. The intercooler is in the same place as the winch would be. He has to use a Jay Leno chin bumper for the winch to clear the intercooler.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Sweet5ltr
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Sweet5ltr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:26 pm

This is a tough call, as it seems from my limited research, RAM only allows DRW applications to receive the 4.10 (factory) gear ratio with an Aisin, with 3.42 gears being the only offering with the 68RFE (3.73 w/ DRW) :doh: seems pretty ridiculous to me. That's a big-chunk alone just to get proper gearing, although the 3.73's with the improved 1st - 2nd gear in the Aisin (SRW config), would be similar to 4.10's with the 68RFE.

Depends on what you want, like most have posted above, $15,000 into any platform will make it fairly capable. Probably better off keeping the Diesel stock and finding another well-used, abused Wagon for the trails.
2015 PW - 285/75r17 Yokohama Geolander G015's

37's and some :cash: to Thuren when the warranty expires :patriot:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm

OP can buy a set of '14+ PW 4.10 take off gears. I sold mine to a 3rd gen diesel owner.