Towing Capacity

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Towing Capacity

Post by MOPARManiac » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 am

Will a Power Wagon handle a toy hauler (bumper pull) with a gross dry weight of 8300 lbs? GVWR of the camper is 12,000 lbs and dry hitch weight is 1500 lbs. I would do airbags, but I'm still wondering if it will be to much when loaded with a side X side, gear, etc.? It doesn't take to much to get up to 10,300 lbs that the Power Wagon is rated for.
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Towing Capacity

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:29 am

I think it will do just fine. There are guys on the FB group pulling enclosed trailers, horse trailers and farm equipment around all the time closer to 15k.

We tow regularly but are closer to your dry weight fully loaded without any problems. You've got the 5.7 so you might be a little low on power up steep grades, but the 4.56 rear end will make up for that. The thing I've heard about the 5.7 is watching the trans temp. Maybe put a bigger cooler on it.

Those are my thoughts.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

aheiser
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by aheiser » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Have a buddy that towed ~10-11k loaded bumper pull a couple times around here with a '11 PW and ultimately (and sadly as he loved it) chose to trade up to a diesel. He said the stability with weight distribution, etc wasn't bad but the 5.7 was just enough to keep it moving, of course rev'd like heck, and only moving at 35-40mph on the mountain passes. Seems like on flatter ground and lower altitudes a couple times a year it would be doable. But at high altitude, your truck would take a serious flogging.
2012 Power Wagon SLT Blue Pearl, Thuren suspension, 35" Toyo RTs, Linex bed and rockers, Aero AT3030XL muffler, BT Catch can, more on the way...

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Yeah, being in Wyoming the majority of my towing will be at over 6000 feet in elevation. I'm thinking I want to keep the GVWR at under 10,000 lbs. and the dry weight of the camper under 7000 lbs.
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:48 pm

Yea. The dry weight of our travel trailer is 7000 pounds. Even at that, if I was towing it around a lot more than I do then I would be looking into a diesel. The hemi works, but it almost gets annoying with all the revving and gear changing just on the slightest of grades.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ghaugo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am

I had a smaller trailer and moved to one with a GVWR of 7,600lbs this year. It is a Coachman Freedom Express. I live in Colorado and we tow it around everywhere. I made a trip out to Leadville with full water, kids, dogs, and full load etc. I use an Andersen weight distribution hitch. To give you some info to compare, weights were as follows:

Steer Axle: 4,140lbs
Drive Axle: 4,880lbs
Trailer Axle: 5,940lbs
Gross Weight: 14,960lbs

My truck empty (with me, ARE topper, full gas tank, and rock rails)

Steer Axle: 4,240lbs
Drive Axle: 3,180lbs
Gross Weight: 7,420lbs

The overall experience with the truck has been very positive. It pulls well, but as olyelr says it will be doing some revving and gear changing especially here in the big mountains. Going up the Ike Gauntlet from Silverthorne to the Eisenhower tunnel I pulled it back going 55-60 the whole way up, but she was screamin' the whole time. The oil temps jumped up on the way up, but I run Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 for that reason.

On the way across I-80 from Laramie to Rock Springs, I towed the trailer in 96 degree heat, and it did a great job as well. It will downshift going up the hills and the motor runs at a pretty high rpm. That being said, I don't usually tow over 65mph with this setup. When I keep it under 65 it is happiest. Past that and it really works to pull that speed. The truck itself handles the weight of this camper very well. It feels stable and very much under control. I don't run airbags, and it sits within a quarter inch of level with this setup. I think a trailer the size you are asking about would be too much for out here. I think it would do it, but it would be struggling unless you make some other upgrades. I currently run 33 inch tires as well, so I should have the best set up for towing on a PW.

It is not a diesel, so towing with this setup will always make the gas engines rev high and downshift especially in the high country. Towing out here is a different animal, so I feel like my setup is about as big as I would go. I looked at other trailer that were heavier, but I am glad I did not go any heavier with this setup.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 am

X2 - what ghaugo says (Springdale GVWR 7,200 #; long trips +/- 4,000 - 5000 m & +/- 3 - 5 week trips) Oregon to Texas via various routes. Would not want a heavier set up either but enjoyable w ours! Enjoy👍
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:28 pm

I think around 7k dry weight is about as big as I'd go. My trailer is 7k dry and 8500lb loaded and 9k GVWR. That puts me under all numbers except payload. So tires, axles, tow rating, and GCWR are all just under.

I added airbags and other stuff to account for payload. Honestly driving around town I'm 30 lbs over payload after all the mods and recovery gear in the ramboxes etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Yes, it'll do it.

Take it slow and watch temps on the long uphill pulls, but it'll get the job done.
I go over the continental divide just about every weekend all winter long.

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks for all the replies. We ended up signing papers for a toy hauler yesterday. Dry weight is 6373 lbs and GVWR is 9985 lbs. I was wanting to keep it under 10,000 so this should work. My SXS is around 1800 lbs so I should have around another 1800 lbs to get up to max (I better never get to max). It's coming with distribution/sway control hitch. I'll probably be over on payload as well and may have to do some airbags. We'll see the first time it's loaded I guess.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:09 pm

If you have weight distribution and are not leveled you should be just fine.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:36 pm

That should work well. You'll be near the top of what the PW can do for distance and it'll whine some up hills. I chased this and that for a long time to get it fully 100% stable. Airlift airbags and daystar cradles will serve you well. Make sure you dial in the WD hitch. Have them give you two sway control bars (if they give you the eaz-lift hitch). If you want further info just let us know. It took a while but the PW can tow. Mine tows that load just like my 11 Duramax did it just took longer to get it all figured out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 pm

MOPARManiac wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm
Thanks for all the replies. We ended up signing papers for a toy hauler yesterday. Dry weight is 6373 lbs and GVWR is 9985 lbs. I was wanting to keep it under 10,000 so this should work. My SXS is around 1800 lbs so I should have around another 1800 lbs to get up to max (I better never get to max). It's coming with distribution/sway control hitch. I'll probably be over on payload as well and may have to do some airbags. We'll see the first time it's loaded I guess.
Heck, I got bags in Daystar cradles even for our tiny trailer. I hate, hate, HATE rear end squat.
2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon :rockon:
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE7

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:24 pm

See how it does on our first trip when loaded, but I couldn't even tell the trailer was behind me towing it home. Crazy how easy it towed.

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:41 pm

MOPARManiac wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:24 pm
See how it does on our first trip when loaded, but I couldn't even tell the trailer was behind me towing it home. Crazy how easy it towed.
That’s great to hear. I wouldn’t doubt it. My little trailer doesn’t even effect MPG on my truck. But it’s a little hard side pop up doesn’t hurt because it has hardly no wind drag. We are going to upgrade the trailer next year. The one we want will be about 5k lbs dry. The Wagon will easily handle it. But we do throw 3 dirt bikes in the bed while trailer is in tow on occasion. Payload max gets flirted with. Another reason why I got bags right away. I’m covered.
Last edited by Ramajama on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon :rockon:
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE7

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ghaugo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:04 am

Have fun with it. I just switched to 35's and mine still pulls fine. It does lug a little more, but as long as you're not trying to set speed records, the truck will pull. Glad to hear you got a nice setup.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:22 pm

First big trip with the Power Wagon and Toy Hauler. My pickup sits better with the Mule in the back of the camper as it takes some of the weight off the tongue. Without the Mule in the back it really makes the rear end sag a lot. I ordered Daystar Cradles and Airlift bags to help with that. The WD/Anti-sway hitch works great, just need a little help with the suspension. I drove a lot of miles in 3 states and the Powerwagon has plenty of power, but I also didn't pass by to many gas stations. It was 99 degrees today and I was average 6 MPG with the AC on Max into a head wind. All oil/coolant temps were great though.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:17 am

I know you already did it, and are set up for your first trip, but I will still give you my experience.

I have an '05 PW with 35s. The last camper was a 7,700 GVW 29ft bunkhouse-style Dutchmen. The camper itself was overloaded by about 1,200lbs the one time I did the math. It towed fine after I finally upgraded to a Hensley hitch. It swayed unmercifully before, but that wasn't the truck's fault. Plenty of power, and I only added Timbrens. I always felt in control with this combination.

The current camper is a 12,8xx GVW 35ft Jayco Octane toy hauler. Tongue weight when empty is over 1,300lbs. Dry weight is about 10,000. Oh my, what a difference. Before I finally gave in and bought a 3500 Cummins, I added Helwig helper springs, kept the Timbrens, cranked the f#*% out of the bars on the new Pro Pride hitch, and it STILL dropped the rear end well below level. It also porpoised, pitched, rolled, and in general was on the edge of control.

And then there is the 5.7... Later versions may have worked, but the '05 isn't up to the task without running the balls off of it.

That being said, I think you did the right thing staying on the lighter side of toy haulers. Good luck, and Happy Camping!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Eventually plan to tow a big skid steer a few times a year for retirement property work and back to current home and I will be over 12K for sure. I figure its only a few items a year, and a few hundred miles each way. But I like learning what everyone else has done to tow over the limit weights. Sounds like equalizer hitch is number 1.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:59 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm
Eventually plan to tow a big skid steer a few times a year for retirement property work and back to current home and I will be over 12K for sure. I figure its only a few items a year, and a few hundred miles each way. But I like learning what everyone else has done to tow over the limit weights. Sounds like equalizer hitch is number 1.
It certainly is a night and day difference with a weight distribution hitch. Removing a bunch of weight from the rear axle and placing it on the front axle does wonders for towing experiences.

And, a hitch like the Equal-izer one also has good sway prevention built into it as well, so that makes it even better.

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:54 am

:cheers: 2x
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

socalluke

Post by socalluke » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:22 pm

leveled 2012 PW with 19 Ft Attitude toy hauler tows fine here. Towed if for a year and then decided to adjust the WD Hitch (which made a huge difference!) Now 75 mph (my comfortable limit) feels like 65 mph used to.

What oil temps or coolant temsps would be considered high?

socalluke

Post by socalluke » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:22 pm

leveled 2012 PW with 19 Ft Attitude toy hauler tows fine here. Towed if for a year and then decided to adjust the WD Hitch (which made a huge difference!) Now 75 mph (my comfortable limit) feels like 65 mph used to.

What oil temps or coolant temsps would be considered high?