Champion Plugs......

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Champion Plugs......

Post by MOPARManiac » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:47 pm

What Champion spark plugs are you guys using in the 4th Gen Power Wagons. I purchased some last week and the parts store gave me RE12MCC4. I was digging through some stuff tonight and found the old stock plugs that came in the wifes 08 Durango with the Hemi. The stock plugs were Champion RE14MCC4.

Which ones are correct, or will they both work?
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Champion Plugs......

Post by Throttle 8 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:04 pm

What I would do if I was you, is take one out of your truck; and replace it with the same as it came with. Hemi's do just fine with oem plugs!! I have had negative first hand experience (as well as many others!) trying to *upgrade*.
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A LOCOMOTIVE

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:42 pm

The stock plugs are NGK's LZFR5C-11, and it looks like the Champions RE12MCC4 are the correct ones. The Champions are the same style copper core plug and are half the price of the NGK's so I will be using the Champions. It looks like it will be a PITA :angry: to change them.

Apparently the difference between the RE12MCC4's and RE14MCC4's are the 14's are tapered and the 12's use a crush washer. Dodge changed to the crush washer 09' up Hemi's. I upgraded to the Champion Iridium plugs when I changed them in the 08 Durango at 30,000 miles, so far they seem to be working well.
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Throttle 8 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 pm

It took me about 2.5 hrs total time. (That was including a 15 minute beer break betwwen sides!)
You will need a 5" extension and a swivel. Do not forget the anti seize for the threads, and a littledi-electric grease inside the boot.
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks for the info, I have the anti-sieze and grease. I am wondering if I put the PW up on jackstands, take the tires and plastic wheel wells off if it will be easier?...... I may try that.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Yes, it will for the drivers side, at least on my 3rd Gen.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 am

I picked the NGK double platinum that was on sale from Rock Auto ($2.29 ea) and they work just fine. I wanted less performance degradation over the 30,000 mile planned use. I won't run them much past the 30K because the carbon deposits on the exposed threads in the combustion chamber can literally rip the threads out of the head when you remove the plugs. More of a problem on Fords but we also have that similar issue.

This thread issue is the real reason the OEM plugs are copper and not platinum, after all if you only can run them for 30K... why pop for a 100K plug in the first place? Just stay away from those gimmicky plugs like split fire and such.

Here is a video on the proper way to remove the plugs especially if you run them longer than 30K. This is because there are quite a few exposed spark plug threads in the combustion chamber on our Hemi engines (4 or 5 if I recall).
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

The Ford 3 valve 5.4L
Glad I don't have a Ford!!!
phpBB [video]

My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:51 am

ferd better idea........yeah.....right!.......LOSER! :mrgreen:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

fbenross
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by fbenross » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:01 pm

I just hit 30,000 mi and after changing my PS pump and pulley I'm on a maintenance roll ! So I'm thinkin about changing my plugs. I looked at the video that azracer posted about getting the old plugs out. And I would not do that, except as a last resort. Even if I had 75k mi. I just couldn't pull all the wires....then...crack 16 plugs 1/8 turn ...then put all the wires back on ...then take all the wires back off. There is more than one way to skin a cat(sorry PITA). That video should be an ensentive to change your plugs sooner rather than later...
Ben CW3 2/10th AIR CAV FT ORD CA. (retired)
2006 Power Wagon-6spd, rear air bags, Diff Guards:Carli F. RockCrusher R., matching rim for spare tire, removed back seat for storage----I own the following: 2005 Hallmark pop-top Camper---1970 Scout 800 4x4 w/232ci 6cyl 4spd---2006 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport---Pictures @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/powerwagon/collections

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Throttle 8 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:25 pm

I changed mine at 27,000 miles and they had no carbon issue at all. You should be fine Ben.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:33 pm

fbenross wrote: That video should be an ensentive to change your plugs sooner rather than later...
Exactly my point!

I did not do it as shown in the video either but I did do them at 30K and had no issues.

I doubt the dealer or anyone else on flat rate would do it that way either. You will get a call about the additional cost to repair the head.
But it would be good information to know if you are at 100k and are thinking it may be time to change the plugs for the first time.

Do it at 30 or at the most 40K and you won't have an issue. Yes do it even with a 100K plug in there.
My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Post by AceMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:51 am

azracer wrote:I picked the NGK double platinum that was on sale from Rock Auto ($2.29 ea) and they work just fine. I wanted less performance degradation over the 30,000 mile planned use. I won't run them much past the 30K because the carbon deposits on the exposed threads in the combustion chamber can literally rip the threads out of the head when you remove the plugs. More of a problem on Fords but we also have that similar issue.

This thread issue is the real reason the OEM plugs are copper and not platinum, after all if you only can run them for 30K... why pop for a 100K plug in the first place? Just stay away from those gimmicky plugs like split fire and such.

Here is a video on the proper way to remove the plugs especially if you run them longer than 30K. This is because there are quite a few exposed spark plug threads in the combustion chamber on our Hemi engines (4 or 5 if I recall).
phpBB [video]

The Ford 3 valve 5.4L
Glad I don't have a Ford!!!
phpBB [video]

I couldn't see the link to the video in Tapatalk, so I'm just copying and re-pasting it in my reply.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKIDxSnsTk
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
Did you ever notice that after Monday and Tuesday the calendar says "WTF"?
KB1ACE - Kilo-Bravo-One-Alpha-Charlie-Echo
Power Wagon Owner's Club #110

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Sitting in Garage: Ram SRT10 A-Pillar.
Image Image Image

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 am

Just to add, I had my plugs changed just last week with the stock Champs. I now have about 60k. Made a world of difference with performance changing them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Image Image Image

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:51 am

So is this method of plug removal really necessary?
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:45 pm

It says the tool is for broken plugs. I guess that is common in Fords?
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

MSparks909
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MSparks909 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:09 pm

It was common in the 04-07 Ford 5.4L Triton V8's. I know because I owned an 05 F150 w/ the 5.4 before this truck. I had my plugs changed around 45K miles and luckily they did not break off. Ford specs them as "100K mile plugs" but when you wait that long usually 2-4 break off and get stuck in the cylinder head. Crappy design, but Ford updated to a 1 piece spark plug that eliminated the breakage in the 07-10 run of the 5.4L. Man that engine was a dog too...reliable but slow and underpowered (at least to my taste). Never had any reliability problems, but the Hemi is much more powerful.
2006 QC PW G56

Suspension: 3" Thuren Diesel coils, Carli Progressive leaf springs, Thuren DYSKO bumpstops, Thuren control arms, Thuren tracbar, Thuren draglink, King 2.5" remote reservoir front shocks/2.5" King DBL bypass rear shocks, limit straps, factory swaybar end links extended 2",

Engine/Drivetrain: Airaid full intake, Airflow snorkel, Magnaflow y-pipe, 3" Flowmaster Super 44, Jet 180 t-stat, locker bypass. Carli balljoints. greasable front u-joints, Gorilla Juice in the G56, Royal Purple 75W-140 in the diffs, Shell Rotella 5W-40 in the engine w/ oversize K&N filter.

Body/Appearance: Go Recon super white cab lights, Retro Solutions 55W 6000K HID kit for headlights/fogs and projector retro'd headlight, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff guard, lots of pinstriping & some dents

Interior: 12" JL Audio sub in custom box w/ adjustable bass knob and 500W JL Audio amplifier, headrest gun sling, CB radio

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:04 pm

I changed my plugs this morning and it wasn't too bad of a job to do. It took about 3 hours with some cigar breaks mixed in. I do recommend having two 2 inch 3/8 extensions. Those work very well for the back 5 plugs on the left (drivers side). There isn't enough room with the brake booster so being able to use the two shorter extensions to make a longer extension worked very well. The right (passenger) side was fairly easy, the air box comes out very easy and gives a lot of room. I left the air box out when I did the drivers side. For the back 4 plugs on the drivers side I crawled up into the engine compartment on the passenger side, there is room to stand on the top, front of the frame. I then just leaned over the engine and that made the back plugs much easier to get out. I'm 6'3" so that tells you there is plenty of room, though I was wishing I was a little shorter at the time. Good for another few years, now I need to do the wifes Durango. It is a PITA compared to the PW.

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Did you also clean out the plenum?

I just had my plugs done by a friend who's a dealer tech. Took him about a half hour. I pre-gapped the plugs for him as he was doing them. I was barely able to keep up with him.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Yes, I cleaned out all of the air intake. I also put in a new K&N air filter. Between the plugs and new air filter it is purring like a kitten.

I'm sure that someone that does it all the time can go very fast. I am too anal, and make sure that everything is done correctly. That takes up more time than anything else. It was easier than I thought it would be, I won't be dreading it in another 30,000 miles. A few of the factory plugs were in pretty tight. I put anti-sieze on all of the new ones.

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:35 pm

The anti-seize is a good idea. He did the same when putting them in.

I used to work on my own vehicles many years ago. If I attempted this, it would have probably taken me longer than it took you. In many cases I can do a quick repair enough to get me to a place to get it done right, but that's the extent of its.

I agree with what you're saying. It's easy for someone that does it day to day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

awdanthony
Model Year: 2013

Post by awdanthony » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Spark plugs look a lot more daunting on the 4G than some of the other vehicles I've worked on. I thought I was going to need to remove the brake booster, but the rubber boots on the coils bend easily. Other than that, a host of extensions, a good swivel, and a magnet on a stick work great.
2017 Power Wagon L&L pack with some extras. In desperate need of 35s.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Shit, I change mine every 60K miles. At 30k I pulled one and it was fine and then again at 50k and then drove it until it started to have a rough idle which was 72k. They all came out fine. I figured 60k would be a good time to keep them in good shape. Fairly easy to change but didn't see the need for every 30k.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:12 pm

I do my plugs every 30k, the plugs are cheap it helps with gas mileage and it keeps the truck running good. Not sure about a 4Gen but on a 3Gen it is useful if you remove the tire and wheel well liner so you can get at the back plugs from underneath.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

awdanthony
Model Year: 2013

Post by awdanthony » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:25 pm

I ended up lying over the engine a few times to get to the driver's side closest to the bulkhead.
2017 Power Wagon L&L pack with some extras. In desperate need of 35s.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:21 am

This isn't a bad deal, $3.91 each shipped. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LME ... sc=1&smid=

Going to get me these for the next round.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.