Polishing over decals

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
SeniorNarwhal
Model Year: 2017

Polishing over decals

Post by SeniorNarwhal » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:52 am

Hi all! Need some advice for a polishing newbee. I have a 2017 Power Wagon (red) with decals. After this truck has been parked outside for over a year (no other choice) it definitely needs the full cleaning treatment. I planned on getting a dual action polisher and use a single step polishing compound (likely VSS from chemical guys) to remove scratches and swirls.

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think I can use the dual action and polishing solution across the decals. So I have a few questions:

1) Can I (Should I?) clay bar the decals? I plan on using clay mit from chemical guys on the rest of the truck.

2) What products and cleaning methods should I employ on the decals to keep them looking good?

3) What would be the best method for polishing the red lettering where it is paint showing from the decal cut outs. In addition to the paint that surrounds the decal lettering.

I basically want to get this looking back to factory new so I can seal the paint and keep it protected. What are the rest of you clean freaks doing to keep your truck looking good? Especially around the decals!

Thanks all in advance for the help!

DirtyOffroad
Model Year: 2014

Re: Polishing over decals

Post by DirtyOffroad » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:30 pm

I have always used simple glass cleaner/car wash on decals. Anything harsher will probably damage them and definitely don't polish them
2018 Ram 2500 Powerwagon
1.5 Thuren - Front
Thuren Rear Track Bar
LED Headlights and Fog
37x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country M/T

Merrick Dodge/Chryler/Jeep Salesman - Long Island, New York.

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:36 pm

SeniorNarwhal wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:52 am

What are the rest of you clean freaks doing to keep your truck looking good? Especially around the decals!

Thanks all in advance for the help!
I ordered mine debadged. :P
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

Bigdodge

Post by Bigdodge » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:10 am

Clay bar will keep them clean. I really wouldn't worry about getting in the lettering. Just tape off around the decals. Doesn't have to be perfect as u will never get right up next to objects. Within a inch for me is acceptable. I just finished a 2 stage polish to get scratches out and it makes a world of difference. Very time consuming and tedious though

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:47 am

Problem is 2017 plus PW badges are awesome! Prior to that they were "Dragons Vomit" Per Chrysler.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.