2018 Power Wagon issues

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Selloutrr
Model Year: 2018

2018 Power Wagon issues

Post by Selloutrr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:00 am

has anyone else experienced horrible service at the dealership regarding intermittent issues? I purchased a 2018 Power Wagon that I’ve had intermittent electrical and mechanical issues with since ~3500 miles. The first dealership test drove it confirmed issues were present and then made no repairs. Stating “Ram has no approved fixes”. It’s been to 2 dealerships twice for the same issues and had a master certified tech work on it. However each time they reinstall the software drive it for a short period and state it’s fixed. I get it back and it acts up, and back it goes. They think I’m crazy, I think they are lazy. I can’t help but feel if it was not a warranty issue and I was paying from my wallet they would be “motivated” to find the issues and fix them.
The issues include;
Not shifting out of park
Not shifting into gear
Transfer case shifter moving 3” under acceration
Slipping gear / clunking
Back up camera failing to come on
Navigation failing to cancel guidance
Apps not functional / off line (all of them)
Blank screen
Reading texts/ not reading texts
Dropped calls / failing to call certain places
SOS failing to connect
Lights in “auto” failing to turn on at night
Air conditioning stopping blowing cold
While braking the truck lurched and ended up a full truck length into the intersection.
PRND glowing yellow not White
Radio volume knob turns - no audio comes out (not muted)

As the issues are intermittent I have video and photographed them the best I can to capture a time/date stamp. RAM has no interest in viewing them. It seems to do it more on hot days (104 degrees or more). I’m curious if anyone has had any similar issues and if so what corrected it. Where I’m at with these issues and only 6600 miles on the truck... I’m incredibly frustrated, defeated, angry that no one is able to or willing to take the time to fix the issues.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: 2018 Power Wagon issues

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:31 am

Stealerships suck in general. But that is a host of issues that shouldn't even be related to one another. Possible PCM? Really reminds me of water damage. We had a vehicle that got flooded, and it ran, and drove, but turned into gremlin city. Insurance totaled it out for us.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

DirtyOffroad
Model Year: 2014

Post by DirtyOffroad » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:42 am

Sounds like all electrical related, I would contact Chrysler directly and make a statement to them. The only thing you mention there that is normal is the transfer case lever, which does move quite a lot and is not a problem. Get in touch with corporate so they're aware of your issues and the dealerships inability to fix them.

This is either going to be one stupid electrical issue at the fuse box/pcm/bus module or its going to be a buyback from Chrysler.
2018 Ram 2500 Powerwagon
1.5 Thuren - Front
Thuren Rear Track Bar
LED Headlights and Fog
37x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country M/T

Merrick Dodge/Chryler/Jeep Salesman - Long Island, New York.

JamesWyatt

Post by JamesWyatt » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:15 am

Find a forum where the official "Ram Cares" account monitors the posts like ramforum.com – they will help you out. Sounds to me like a bad PCM/main computer and Uconnect unit. Hopefully no one took it for a joy ride through several feet of water before you bought it.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:16 am

Selloutrr wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:00 am

bold items i experience as well.

Transfer case shifter moving 3” under acceration
i have the same phenomena. pretty normal for lever operated transfer cases. same in wranglers. it does move way to much in this truck, but it does tell me there is a lot of give in the transfer case/ drivetrain mounts. ever rev an engine and see how much it moves? same concept. its not body mounted.

Slipping gear / clunking define this better for me and i may be able to guide you to a fix

Back up camera failing to come on this is more recently happening to me. twice so far. just have to let the truck sit and return later.

Radio volume knob turns - no audio comes out (not muted) go from one audio source and back to the source you want, it will work after reverting to your source.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 am

has anyone even mentioned recalls?
there are two out there now, one directly addresses the shifter module i believe?
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

stooper
Model Year: 2010

Post by stooper » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:16 am

Sounds to me like a ground or connector issue. I have seen vehicles shipped with main connectors not fully seated or pushed out pins.
I believe you need to find a good service department that will actually care about fixing it. When I left the dealer service department (8 years Chrysler master) there were many young techs with poor work ethic. Alas, I think it's a plague bred by the manufactures.

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by EasyDoesIt » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am

Wow, that sounds like a ton of issues. If that were my truck I'd push for a lemon law to get FCAs attention.

The only one of your listed issues I've experienced is the Slipping Gear/Clunking and I chalk that up to 37s with factory trans tune. AEV Procal is on order and I hope to resolve that issue.

However I have had the below issues. I will be taking it in for recall work soon and will ask them to resolve.

-Trans Reflash
-Slight Clicking in the front end (likely from something to do with my tires or off roading. Checked drive shaft and axles and nothing is visible)
-Downhill Assist speed adjustment does not work (common and I'm not sure anyone has a fix yet)
-Bluetooth Audio Streaming is laggy/intermittently skips like an old CD player. Using a Verizon LG V30 Android phone that is less than a year old with all updates. I've resorted to use the Aux/3.5mm for longer road trips.

Other than that, my 2018 is issue free and truth be told, half of my issues are due to my 37s and off roading.

BTW, I'm at 10K miles.

Steve
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by KevinABQ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:03 pm

There is a code upgrade for the entertainment system that you should have automatically loaded. Until my truck loaded that it did stuff like that. But that won’t cover all the issues.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Horrible service at a dealership? Is there another kind of service at a dealership?

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:27 pm
Horrible service at a dealership? Is there another kind of service at a dealership?
This is why I scoff at the whole notion of dealerships lobbying state governments that Tesla's direct to consumer sales are "not consumer friendly" :roll: Bullshit. Stealerships don't have consumer interests in mind. Just making money.
-------
------

Selloutrr

Post by Selloutrr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 pm

I have an open case with Chrysler in regards to the issues. However they make the decision based on the service notes, that say they can’t find anything wrong. IMHO it feels like because no one is going deeper then reading fault codes or reloading the software, the issues are not blowing fault codes. They think I’m making it all up. It feels like they are not trying hard enough to locate the issue because it’s man hours they can’t bill back for. This reliance on software and fault codes obviously isn’t working, and lack of going deeper has caused me to lose faith in ownership. They sent a master tech out once. However before creating a failure he just reset the software which did nothing positive and actually started having the radio volume issues right after. When I first brought it in I was confident it was fixable. The reply from the dealership was “Ram has no approved fix”. and gave the truck back. I am having a hard time digesting that the manufacture can’t figure out how to fix my NEW truck. I guarantee if this was a used non warranty issue it would be all hands on deck and they would find the issues. Being that it’s worse in heat I would think it’s wiring, or hardware. Pull the schematic trace the wiring back to the issues and find what is common. The issues started after a soft ride down a dirt road. Which tells me it’s a connection/ wiring or a hardware issue not computer code.

stooper
Model Year: 2010

Post by stooper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:07 am

Find the large mult-pin wire connectors under the dash and push them up and down, see if it makes the lights go funky.
Radio stuff may be software.

Selloutrr

Post by Selloutrr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:14 am

Thank you! They have ran code checks 4 times. I’m not ruling out hardware issues but at the moment Chrysler has a no replacement policy on the radio. It generated a error code but Chrysler has no plans to fix the issue on models prior to 2019. Its this kind of bullshit that makes me no longer want to own a RAM

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Selloutrr wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:14 am
Thank you! They have ran code checks 4 times. I’m not ruling out hardware issues but at the moment Chrysler has a no replacement policy on the radio. It generated a error code but Chrysler has no plans to fix the issue on models prior to 2019. Its this kind of bullshit that makes me no longer want to own a RAM
Wait until you buy a Ford or Chevy and they tell you the same thing. Look at how the Ford 6.0 roll out was handled; Ford fucked over thousands of owners telling them there's no fix or the EGR/Coolant/Head bolt issues were the owners fault. The reality is, as new a vehicle owners, you roll the dice on quality. The manufacturer's warranty is only as good as the service dealer or the OEM wants it to be. Fortunately, your truck is new enough that you have Lemon Laws protecting you. Do some research and find out what your rights are, if it turns out FCA won't or can't fix your truck pay a lawyer to start the Lemon Law process. Just don't fool yourself into thinking this won't happen with another manufacturer.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 pm

That is so true. I have been researching the ZR@ Diesel pretty hard. Lots of issues with the DPF & regen & limp mode. One guys has been in the shop 6x in 6 months. He was so discouraged with their service & the way he was treated, he said he would never own a GM product again. They are ALL told "DO NOT LET THESE DIESELS IDLE FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME." Well what the frock is most 4 wheeling ???? Slow, 4wd crawling along at idle----so :wtf:

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:00 am

hahahaha but in all seriousness...this is the one reason i shy away from diesel....i hate letting any vehicle idle. but a gasser will do just fine.
being told not to let it idle for any length of time takes the diesel out right from under me as an option.

i love what they can do, but for my purposes,no go, job site idling, waiting on the GF idling, Eating in the truck idling, just idling for the fun of it idling, or idling doing pretty much exactly what this truck is meant for, crawling along impassible trails.

people dont get it, diesels kinda suck for offroad prowess. one major reason i'm ecstatic we have the gas option here. Clearly this is not relative to the desert mobbers, who just cant seem to slow down and idle along
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Selloutrr

Post by Selloutrr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Can’t say I really care about the truck being gas or diesel. AES makes any RAM diesel into a Prospector so it was an option. What I am having a difficult time with is over all shamefully embarrassing fit to finish, and over all lack of accountability toward failing to manufacture a realizable truck. I will NEVER get to have idle time be an issue because I don’t trust taking this truck with it’s knoen issues (Let alone, the unknown ones). Anywhere roadside assistance can’t get to. IMHO the 2018 PW and RAM are a joke. I love what the truck could and should be, but I have zero confidence in the truck or Chrysler’s ability to service it. Which makes ownership no longer something I want to part of. After 7 trips to the dealer and 6weeks without the truck and no resolve to issues. Anyone considering buying a Power Wagon or a RAM in general should look at other options. If you still have to have one. Buy a used one because your NEW warranty is worthless.
Yesterday it failed to come out of park. Not to be sexist but the amount of strength to shift was more then most females could apply. (Just trying to make a visual of the amount of difficulty it takes to shift). Once it pops out of P it sounded like a box of rocks getting shook as it went through the PRND. (I took a video.. but I’m crazy it doesn’t have any issues says RAM...). Later the SXM radio stopped putting out volume. Switched to AM radio and it rebooted my iPhone. I can’t tell you how disappointed I am in this truck but not even the truck but the dealerships and corporate. The dealership can’t “hunt” for the issue they have to follow corporate guidelines. RAM “has no approved fix”. Seriously someone with the ability to read a schematic should be able to pin point the problem in the system diagram and fix this just based on the issues. Bad module, bad CPU, bad wire, bad ground... then meter continuity and look for a pinch wire. The issues all started after a drive down a road with some mild ruts. If this is the “build quality” it’s not off road quality. As for the computer side of things. I also own a Ford C-Max hybrid it is a computer. Zero issues ever! No wait the AC once shut off I took it in and in 30 minutes it was happy again. Even my Porsche Carrera is better built and more reliable then the Power Wagon, because when I have an issue they can fix it and the radio has always worked. All the research and reviews don’t tell you how little corporate cares about the quality of the build. I wish I had known. The last service tech. Basically told me I was crazy, making it up, and had buyers remorse and couldn’t afford the truck... WTF!? First off I bought it in cash out right. Second these issues are real look at the videos. The only things crazy about me is I bought an American truck and drive 5hrs to attempt to have it serviced by someone I thought wasn’t a piece of shit. It’s con isn’t for RAM to assume that because they can wash their hands and not have to swallow the fact their shit stinks. For these reasons I no longer want to own my Power Wagon or another RAM/chrslyer product.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Oh man! That's a lot of issues to deal with.

I've only had my '14 Power Wagon to the dealership 4 times total to get my annual NY inspection and change out my PUP and filter... They do any required recalls at those appointments...

I wonder if Fiat quality is slipping and getting significantly worse over time. Maybe I don't want a 2020 Power Wagon now :o
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 pm

jeezus i have issues with posts that say issue 450000 times

Selloutrr

Post by Selloutrr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:09 pm

cb1987 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 pm
jeezus i have issues with posts that say issue 450000 times
With issues in the title what did you expect?

I wouldn’t go to Disneyland and then bitch about see Mickey 😉

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:29 pm

:popcorn:
-------
------

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:36 pm

maybe a warning on the thread title would be appropriate. seems i cant go on any forum without seeing issue used 896 times in every thread. really begining to hate that word

Selloutrr

Post by Selloutrr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:50 pm

I wish I didn’t have to create the post. However the reality is my Power Wagon in riddled with issues, and because the dealership, service centers, and corporate would rather wash their hands of the poor manufacturing then step up and handle the problems. I’m forced to look else where for possible solutions to the problems. In the mean time if this post helps anyone else stay away from the headache I’m in then that is all the better.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 pm

cb1987 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:36 pm
maybe a warning on the thread title would be appropriate. seems i cant go on any forum without seeing issue used 896 times in every thread. really begining to hate that word
I got issues. Is that the samething? :lol:

I really feel bad for Selloutrr. If you can, lemon law. Sometimes when you start doing that. It gets their attention.

In 10 years. I think my PW has only been to the dealership about 6 times. Once to fix the clock spring in the steering wheel, 3 recalls, and twice for the lifetime power train warranty inspection.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: