'14 Power Wagon needs new motor at 63k... :/

ScalerFab
Model Year: 2014

'14 Power Wagon needs new motor at 63k... :/

Post by ScalerFab » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:55 am

My 2014 PW has been at the dealership for 4 weeks now needing a new motor according to service manager, and hasn't been approved for warranty, yet...

4 weeks ago, I was driving home from the grocery store. Turned off highway onto dirt road, and shifted into 4wd. Passed a dump truck and about 1 min later, with no warning (no warning lights, no sounds, etc), the truck shuts off. I shift into N and turn the motor over while still moving (approx 45 mph). The truck starts back up and I drive another 10 min. Then, with no warning, it shuts off again. This time I come to complete stop and turn ignition off. At this point, I'm thinking there is some sort of electrical glitch, so I decided to completely stop turn off ignition. Once again, no warning lights, no abnormal temps, etc. Truck tries to start, but acts like it has a dead battery - labored cranking. I kinda smell burning electrical smell - maybe starter is getting hot. Guages all read normal with key in "run" position, but I do notice that trans temp is reading "---", basically no reading... at this point, I'm baffled. I call my neighbor to come give me a tow as I'm only about 15 min from home (I live 2 hrs from any major city in the middle of nowhere). I wait about 10 min while neighbor is on the way and try to start truck again. Truck turns over better, but still sounds labored, almost like it is trying to start "in gear". I shift transfer case into neutral to prep for my neighbor to tow me and try to start truck again. Truck almost starts and seems way less labored. At this point I'm thinking some sort of tranny or torque converter issue - no trans temp reading and almost starting with transfer case in N. Neighbor tows me home, and I'm hoping it's still just some electrical glitch, so I disconnect negative battery cable and let truck sit for an hour. Try to start and ince again super labored like dead battery, but then shift transfer case into neutral, and the truck actually starts but runs kinds rough - only runs for about a minute and shuts off... That's all she wrote. Next day ( Wednesday) I called roadside assistance to have it towed to nearest dealership (Vista Chysler - Silverthorne, CO). I tell the tow truck driver that I think it's a trans or torque converter issue. No call from dealer for two days, so on Friday, I call and the service manager tells me that the reg tech couldn't get truck to communicate with diagnostic equipment, and that he needed a foreman to look into my truck... The following week ( Tuesday or Wednesday) I get a call from the sevice manager telling me my motor is seized - they can't get it to crank/start. He asked me to forward all my oil change records and that he'd try to get it covered by warranty... I'm still thinking that something else is keeping motor from turning over, so I ask them to try and start it with t case in N. Get a call the following day saying they tried that and no dice, but that my truck has no compression... I'm starting to get confused as "seized" and "no compression" are two very different things... I send them the past two years of oil change records. My truck is a showcase vehicle for our business - meticulously maintained, vinyl wrap, etc, and honestly, I drive like a Grandpa... I wait another week with no news. Finally, after multiple messages to service manager, Chysler cust service, email, etc, I get call from service manager saying that warranty request was denied due to some part#s not being correct on their end, but that once approved it would only take 4 days until my truck was fixed. Fast forward another week. We're at 3.5 weeks at this point. Newest update is that warranty is requesting an engineer to inspect the motor to verify that there are no modifications. My truck is BONE stock except 35" tires as I purchased the 5/100 bumper to bumper warranty when buying my truck brand new and wouldn't consider doing anything to void it... Meanwhile, I'm in a rental Dodge Journey and had to cancel a cross country business trip as Chysler would not authorize a comparable tow vehicle... They told me to go ahead and rent a 2500 for $600/week and that they'd decide how much they would cover once we brought it back... really?

So, here I am at 4 weeks with no answers and crappy rental... I'm baffled that my truck needs a new motor with absolutely no warning signs - Truck has run like a top since new right up until it shut off the first time. No weird noises, no temp issues, no warning lights... Had to be a freak, mechanical failure of some sort. Wonder if they'll even tell me the cause?

Anyone have any corporate contacts that actually give a sh#t? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been stonewalled at every point of contact... Even had cust service manager tell me to pound sand regarding comparable rental... Service manager is super short handed and actually told me that Chysler would pay to have it towed to another dealer in Denver... I'm at a loss and have been waiting patiently since they said an engineer needed to verify no mods (said it would take 3-5 days for that... 3-5 days ago... Smh

Thanks in advance,

Troy
Last edited by ScalerFab on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScalerFab, Inc.
www.scalerfab.com

2014 Ram Power Wagon SLT

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: '14 Power Wagon needs new motor at 63k... :/

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:40 am

This will probably come off poorly but that's an unreadable giant wall of text. I'd read it if there were paragraphs and passable grammar.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Oil change records... What exact oil did they use for the oil changes?
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

ScalerFab

Post by ScalerFab » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Mobil 1 0w40
ScalerFab, Inc.
www.scalerfab.com

2014 Ram Power Wagon SLT

ScalerFab

Post by ScalerFab » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:40 am
This will probably come off poorly but that's an unreadable giant wall of text. I'd read it if there were paragraphs and passable grammar.
Thanks for the help... Just tried to put as many details as possible in shortest form... Carry on...
ScalerFab, Inc.
www.scalerfab.com

2014 Ram Power Wagon SLT

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Shaved Ice » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm

I would ask the general manager about the comparable rental. Surely they can give you a better discount on one. I pay extra on my insurance to get a comparable rental and have had to use it twice. Good luck.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:14 pm

I feel for you man because having experienced the warranty process myself with a failed lifter/cam it isn't a pretty process. Best of luck and don't hesitate to consider taking the truck to a well researched, well regarded dealer if one is near you. May cost some transport money but will be worth it in the end as some of these dealerships should have prisons walls erected around them with a warden.

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:39 am

Wow, what an ordeal!

I wish I could offer some real advice, but all I can offer is sympathy. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:39 am

Wow, what an ordeal!

I wish I could offer some real advice, but all I can offer is sympathy. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 pm

I'd like to know how this turns out. I would agree that in these cases it's probably smart to research the best reviewed and rated dealer.

I've heard it can take a month for this 'engineer' to make his case so get ready to sit back and wait a while.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:19 pm

It is at the point where the cost of new trucks is simply just not worth it anymore. $50k-$60k-$70k-$80k & even $90,000 for a new truck & then to get treated like that, is just unacceptable. Sorry but if you have a 3/4 ton you should get a 3/4 ton to drive until they figure their shit out. Not your fault, not your problem. Plus, there should be no monthly payment while they are trying to figure their shit out. You don't have your truck----so why should you have to pay for it ?

I know things don't work this way, but they should. They should show their gratitude that you chose to give them your hard earned money, for their product. I feel for you. I have been there, done that.

Actually looking at/into trading my 08' G-56 PW & the 4Runner in on a ZR2 diesel. Nothing serious yet, just looking. 30mpg empty sounds appealing.......vs my PW's 8-10 & 4Runners 17mpg. All the GM dealers around here are assholes too. Not 1 will get a ZR2 DuraMax for their lot. Only if you order it !!!

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:31 pm

I agree, the cost of these new trucks is excessive. I think they've made strides in durability, build, and technology so you have to pay more (I wish they would focus on durability and not tech). You'd expect them to stock a mini-truck diesel? Those are still niche vehicles that haven't made it to mainstream yet. I suspect they will over the next decade..

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles.I agree with your feelings TwinStick . I have a 16 with the 6.4 in and have a lifter starting to fail. I had it to the dealer and they tell me to run it till it breaks so they can find out what is wrong. I have been thru the whole 9 yards with the dealer and Ram and all Ram did was to agree with the dealer's position and offers me a lifetime powertrain warranty to quiet things down. I am very displeased with the quality of the truck for the price I paid and all the bs of how great Ram is makes me sick. Did I mention I only have around 16500 miles on it.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:32 pm

This is like reading about a bad dream becoming a nightmare. :shock:

2sticky. Keep your '08 PW. Because I think you would be disappointed with the performance of the ZR2 diesel. From what I've been hearing. Mileage isn't bad. But when you put your foot down. It will trip over it's self. The response isn't there.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:53 pm

rammit11 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:31 pm
Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles.I agree with your feelings TwinStick . I have a 16 with the 6.4 in and have a lifter starting to fail. I had it to the dealer and they tell me to run it till it breaks so they can find out what is wrong. I have been thru the whole 9 yards with the dealer and Ram and all Ram did was to agree with the dealer's position and offers me a lifetime powertrain warranty to quiet things down. I am very displeased with the quality of the truck for the price I paid and all the bs of how great Ram is makes me sick. Did I mention I only have around 16500 miles on it.
Don't be in too much of a hurry, as of a couple of weeks ago the MDS lifters were on national backorder. If you like your truck enough, find a good dealer to install Hellcat lifters and do an MDS delete with HPP.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Curious how you know you have a lifter starting to fail? Appearing like a common issue. Mine is starting to rattle like a Diesel when cold, always has but is getting worse. 18K miles
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 am

I have a metal type rattle at idle that comes and goes . MIne is on a '16 6.4 and it can go from a full on lifter bleed down noise to just the light tapping sound. I am sure that Ram knows what this is as they were not very hesitant to throw an unlimited powertrain warranty on this almost instantly after hearing the problem. The interesting part of all this is after having to show the dealer exactly what the noise was the injector tick is almost non existent , my fuel millage is up 3.5 mpg , and the throttle response is so much better I have taken my pedal commander out of the truck.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:46 am

rammit11 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 am
I have a metal type rattle at idle that comes and goes . MIne is on a '16 6.4 and it can go from a full on lifter bleed down noise to just the light tapping sound. I am sure that Ram knows what this is as they were not very hesitant to throw an unlimited powertrain warranty on this almost instantly after hearing the problem. The interesting part of all this is after having to show the dealer exactly what the noise was the injector tick is almost non existent , my fuel millage is up 3.5 mpg , and the throttle response is so much better I have taken my pedal commander out of the truck.
FCA for sure knows there is a problem with the MDS lifters, they have thousands on national backorder. Mine started going out at 18K miles like yours.

Take a look at this link for non-MDS lifters and read the explanation below carefully.
http://www.highhorseperformance.com/MOP ... ftr-hd.htm

I think the MDS lifters are going to turn into the automatic $2K delete similar to what the Cummins diesel owners go through. MDS is a major problem, the Big Gas 6.4 is a pretty baller engine but Mopar fucked up adapting MDS to this platform. I've also been kicking around the idea that the transmission gearing may be accelerating the failures due to the added torque in the engine and transmission.

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Reloaderguy, why do we as consumers have to face this crap some engineer with no clue as to what the outcome of his actions will be. Can we say Cadillac 8-6-4 perhaps? guess we didn't learn a whole lot from that mistake. My thought is if they want to play engineer buy them a Lionel train set and have at it, until then they should be working on and servicing what they are going to attempt to make better a minimum of 10 years before even being let to introduce an idea. Just my feelings over this whole nightmare I am going thru.

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:21 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:46 am
rammit11 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 am
FCA for sure knows there is a problem with the MDS lifters, they have thousands on national backorder. Mine started going out at 18K miles like yours.

Take a look at this link for non-MDS lifters and read the explanation below carefully.
http://www.highhorseperformance.com/MOP ... ftr-hd.htm

I think the MDS lifters are going to turn into the automatic $2K delete similar to what the Cummins diesel owners go through. MDS is a major problem, the Big Gas 6.4 is a pretty baller engine but Mopar fucked up adapting MDS to this platform. I've also been kicking around the idea that the transmission gearing may be accelerating the failures due to the added torque in the engine and transmission.
Torque doesn’t hurt valve train components, they only see rpm. There are two possibilities along the lines you’re thinking. If there is a specific rpm where the valve train becomes resonant or another design flaw causes instability adding larger tires could cause the motor to operate in that rpm range longer and accelerate failure caused by that resonance/design flaw rpm range. If that’s not the case, in my experience nothing accelerates valve train wear more than rapid acceleration through the rpm range (I.e. aggressive gearing and or small tires).

ScalerFab

Post by ScalerFab » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Made some headway today as the warranty request actually got processed... Baby steps... :/. Also, new service manager agrees that we should be in a rental truck... We are remodeling our cabin and own a metal fabrication business - building materials and gas bottles don't go too well in a Dodge journey... Will keep everyone updated... Still a nightmare going on 5 weeks now

Thanks for the support. I'm wondering if mine is the lifter issue fail?
ScalerFab, Inc.
www.scalerfab.com

2014 Ram Power Wagon SLT

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:12 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:32 pm
This is like reading about a bad dream becoming a nightmare. :shock:

2sticky. Keep your '08 PW. Because I think you would be disappointed with the performance of the ZR2 diesel. From what I've been hearing. Mileage isn't bad. But when you put your foot down. It will trip over it's self. The response isn't there.

Yup, I have been researching them pretty hard. I do not like what I have been reading with the DPF/Limp mode/oil cooler/idle issues. Keeping the Wagon. Not liking all the nightmares with the new Wagons either. Someone up top needs to remove their head from their ass & get back to making a solid reliable truck. Tech is nice but not when it don't work right & not when it is out of warranty.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:45 pm

The 3-4 nightmares on the Internet regarding the new trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by JFordBronco » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:53 pm
rammit11 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:31 pm
Don't be in too much of a hurry, as of a couple of weeks ago the MDS lifters were on national backorder. If you like your truck enough, find a good dealer to install Hellcat lifters and do an MDS delete with HPP.
What is HPP?
2015 Power Wagon

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:12 pm

High horse performance hemi aftermarket parts supplier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk