Shock suggestion for towing/daily driver

Rammmit
Model Year: 2006

Shock suggestion for towing/daily driver

Post by Rammmit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 pm

First post here.
I've been looking since I picked up my power wagon a couple of weeks ago and haven't found much information. I have a 2010 Power Wagon, only 70,000 miles. I'm needing shocks that can handle towing our 5500lb travel trailer and still decent on the street and off road. Right now the front bounces like a 70's Cadillac unloaded or loaded.

I don't have a huge budget, unfortunately, so I've been looking at bilsteins, skyjacker m95's, and a few others.
Any help from the guys that have a leaf sprung towing power wagon would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks up front, Jeremy.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Shock suggestion for towing/daily driver

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:56 am

If you need to keep the budget lean, there’s no substitute for Thuren’s Overland shocks. They are super cheap for being a healthy sized shock with pretty long travel. The valving in them is very good for the dodges and should make you pretty happy!

If you’ve got a little more to spend there are some good options out there but the Overland’s are killer for the price

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:47 am

2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Rammmit

Post by Rammmit » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:46 pm

I had messaged Cjc off road about the overlands and Cole had said they would probably be too soft still.
Any truth behind that?

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Rammmit wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:46 pm
I had messaged Cjc off road about the overlands and Cole had said they would probably be too soft still.
Any truth behind that?
I dunno what the deal is with CJC, but they continuously knock and lie about Thuren. Thuren doesn't use resellers. But CJC is a reseller and has interest in selling people kits. More utter nonsense from them doesn't surprise me.

-------
------

Rammmit

Post by Rammmit » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Not sure they suggested looking at the Fox 2.0's

I'm supposing you are using Thurens on yours?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:12 am

Overland’s are too soft for having 600lbs on the hitch? Uh. Take that advice and file it in the round bin. I love having my King 2.5 bypass shocks on the rear axles for towing, they are night and day and can’t be compared to anything smaller or even non-bypass shocks, but there’s no way I’d recommend someone pay $2200 for shocks to toe that low of a number. The Overland’s are way better than stock, and how many guys are towing 25-30,000 pounds in a totally stock 3500?

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:49 am

Bilstein 5160's are really nice shocks and about the same price as the Thuren shocks so you have some options. I have not used any of Thurens stuff, I have had many Bilstein shocks and I think they would work great on your truck.

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/results?yea ... 3612154852

Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Rammmit

Post by Rammmit » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 am

@coder, I looked at those 5160's, they are extremely nice but unfortunately can't spend that much. The Thurens you get a pair for the price of one of those Bilsteins.

@damagewagon, I definitely see your point and it makes total sense.
I'll probably get the Thurens, the others I was looking at are the Skyjacker M95's

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:28 am

Someone else here is running Skyjackers too. A lot of us on this forum, and almost everyone at PWIM was running Thuren's stuff. Dude knows these trucks. Best bang for the buck, and best damn service. Seriously, Don takes care of folks. I appreciate that.

I'm running Kings now, but I looked at these, and know a lot of guys with the Overlands, everyone loves them. I compared the custom tune Kings to Carli's offerings, and Thuren was just offering more value for the price.

Overlands should treat you real good. :cheers:

I don't know enough about the Skyjackers, but I understand not wanting to spend an arm and a leg.
-------
------

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:28 am
Someone else here is running Skyjackers too. A lot of us on this forum, and almost everyone at PWIM was running Thuren's stuff. Dude knows these trucks. Best bang for the buck, and best damn service. Seriously, Don takes care of folks. I appreciate that.

I'm running Kings now, but I looked at these, and know a lot of guys with the Overlands, everyone loves them. I compared the custom tune Kings to Carli's offerings, and Thuren was just offering more value for the price.
Don't take a ride in his truck. It's bad for your financial health. :)
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 pm

KevinABQ wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 pm
BoldAdventure wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:28 am

I took a ride in his truck... :o :P :cash: 8-) :rockon:
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 pm
KevinABQ wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 pm
I took a ride in his truck... :o :P :cash: 8-) :rockon:
And now look at you. :lol:
-------
------

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:25 pm

The only Power Wagon shocks I see on Thurens site are King 2.0 IFP's how is it you guys a getting King 2.5's and 3.0's are they something custom Thuren put together?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:39 pm

coder wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:25 pm
The only Power Wagon shocks I see on Thurens site are King 2.0 IFP's how is it you guys a getting King 2.5's and 3.0's are they something custom Thuren put together?
There’s a whole wide world of options off menu if you call or email.

Probably most guys are just ordering non pw specific shocks and discussing valving post sale though.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:44 pm

I see

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Also, a lot of the Power Wagon stuff is the same as the 2500 stuff. So it's only listed under the 2500 area. That's where the King 3.0s and 2.5s are. But Don does a custom interview with everyone anyway before you order to fine tune the shocks for your specific use-cases.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

dustinsayes

Post by dustinsayes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:49 pm

I added Firestone air bags with the day star crade. Problem solved.