New direction for this forum

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
User avatar
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Delaware County, PA
Contact:

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by AceMan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:11 am

Made some changes to the category structure....

User avatar
Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:50 am

I wonder if this change contributed to me getting three screens worth of "Unread posts" - all threads that were already read...
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

RPS1030
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:46 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Phoenix

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by RPS1030 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:37 am

Bill2014 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:50 am
I wonder if this change contributed to me getting three screens worth of "Unread posts" - all threads that were already read...
It sure looked like he grabbed an instance from a few days ago to move threads around on. Same here with a bunch of already read "unread" posts.
2016 Power Wagon Tradesman-White-37" Toyo RTs/Inyati Bedliner/Baja Designs Squadron Sports/CVT RTT/Metalline Fab Bed Rack
FToy #43

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1898
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by BoldAdventure » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:51 am

RPS1030 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:37 am
Bill2014 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:50 am
I wonder if this change contributed to me getting three screens worth of "Unread posts" - all threads that were already read...
It sure looked like he grabbed an instance from a few days ago to move threads around on. Same here with a bunch of already read "unread" posts.
Are you looking at "New Posts" or "Unread Posts"

New posts is very short for me, unread posts shows pages of stuff I've never read.
how-it-works.gif
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

User avatar
Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:57 am

New Posts is always longer than Unread Posts for me - as I typically check for and read all unread posts more than 10 times a day.

last night, I went to bed with 0 unread posts, this morning I had 3 pages
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1898
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by BoldAdventure » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Might keep happening, sorry, gonna have to deal. The site needs to be organized. As discussed, there are nearly 3193 topics and 58264 posts dumped into one category that is a black hole of information. It's going to take some time to sort threads.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

User avatar
Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 pm
Might keep happening, sorry, gonna have to deal. The site needs to be organized. As discussed, there are nearly 3193 topics and 58264 posts dumped into one category that is a black hole of information. It's going to take some time to sort threads.
No Problem - I was just reporting the issue.

Years ago, I used the main screen and looked into each category one-by-one to find all the new posts. It would take me a few minutes to go through all the categories. Then 3-4 years ago, the mods started stickying everything requested and it took even longer to get to the new posts. So I found the elegant solution of hitting the site with the following link:

search.php?search_id=unreadposts

and I get all my unread posts in 2 seconds. So all the effort of reorganizing the categories doesn't make a lick of difference for me. I only use the categories if I'm going to post a new thread. When I joined in 2014 I read every post in every thread before my Power Wagon arrived - it took a week to go through everything to get caught up... :cheers:
unread.jpg
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1898
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by BoldAdventure » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm
BoldAdventure wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 pm
Might keep happening, sorry, gonna have to deal. The site needs to be organized. As discussed, there are nearly 3193 topics and 58264 posts dumped into one category that is a black hole of information. It's going to take some time to sort threads.
No Problem - I was just reporting the issue.

Years ago, I used the main screen and looked into each category one-by-one to find all the new posts. It would take me a few minutes to go through all the categories. Then 3-4 years ago, the mods started stickying everything requested and it took even longer to get to the new posts. So I found the elegant solution of hitting the site with the following link:

search.php?search_id=unreadposts

and I get all my unread posts in 2 seconds. So all the effort of reorganizing the categories doesn't make a lick of difference for me. I only use the categories if I'm going to post a new thread. When I joined in 2014 I read every post in every thread before my Power Wagon arrived - it took a week to go through everything to get caught up... :cheers:

unread.jpg
search.php?search_id=newposts this is better
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

User avatar
Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:59 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Bill2014 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm
BoldAdventure wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 pm
Might keep happening, sorry, gonna have to deal. The site needs to be organized. As discussed, there are nearly 3193 topics and 58264 posts dumped into one category that is a black hole of information. It's going to take some time to sort threads.
No Problem - I was just reporting the issue.

Years ago, I used the main screen and looked into each category one-by-one to find all the new posts. It would take me a few minutes to go through all the categories. Then 3-4 years ago, the mods started stickying everything requested and it took even longer to get to the new posts. So I found the elegant solution of hitting the site with the following link:

search.php?search_id=unreadposts

and I get all my unread posts in 2 seconds. So all the effort of reorganizing the categories doesn't make a lick of difference for me. I only use the categories if I'm going to post a new thread. When I joined in 2014 I read every post in every thread before my Power Wagon arrived - it took a week to go through everything to get caught up... :cheers:

unread.jpg
search.php?search_id=newposts this is better
newposts is only better if you want to keep seeing the same "new" posts in your list each time you check in.

Once I've read the post, I don't want to see it in my list next time i check in. I'm only interested in seeing unread posts :wink:

So the site is working great for me!
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1898
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by BoldAdventure » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Why don't we have a mark all threads as read button??
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

User avatar
Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Model Year: 2015
Location: Eagle River, Alaska

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:16 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:02 pm
Why don't we have a mark all threads as read button??
We do, from the "Unread posts" search page. It's a little link on the right side of the page, above all the search results.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: New direction for this forum

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:51 am

Just a simple request for 2015+ members: I know that the model year indicator for the avatar was stuck on 2014 for the last few years and was a point of frustration. However now that it's been updated, it would be great to actually see what year your trucks are.

Thanks! :patriot:

Post Reply