Best Build Decision? Leather....

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1960
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:49 am

olyelr wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:25 am
DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:17 pm
If the KR3’s are derived from their race tires like they claim, they should be BITCHIN. The KO2’s are garbage but the KR/2/3 tires are saweeet. Have heard zero feedback so hopefully they do you well!

And buying a goldmine is the coolest thing I’ve heard in a while. Props to you dude!!
They are not KR3’s, like the KR race tires. They are KM3’s, just a refresh of the KM2.
That was a typo, thanks for catching it. I updated the post.

The now old KM2’s suck worse than the KO2’s but supposedly there were big changes to the KM3. For BFG’s sake that would have been a good move.

KevinABQ
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm
Model Year: 2018
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by KevinABQ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:37 am

BoldAdventure wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:03 pm
All of the tire failures at PWIM 2018, 35 trucks and all failures were Duratrac.
I though a toyo got a flat? I’m fairly sure all the destroyed tires were duratracs.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline

Sweet5ltr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:19 am
Model Year: 2014

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by Sweet5ltr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 am

My set of 35" K02s were absolute garbage for 33k miles, to the point I went with a true A/T tire with the Yokohama Geolander G015's this time around (wife got 60k out of hers, not a single issue). The K02's had no traction on the street in the rain, downright dangerous with water on the road (which we get a lot of here), used them after the past two Hurricanes to travel some previously flooded roads and -never again-.
2015 PW - 285/75r17 Yokohama Geolander G015's

37's and some :cash: to Thuren when the warranty expires :patriot:

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1960
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:42 pm

KevinABQ wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:37 am
BoldAdventure wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:03 pm
All of the tire failures at PWIM 2018, 35 trucks and all failures were Duratrac.
I though a toyo got a flat? I’m fairly sure all the destroyed tires were duratracs.
A Toyo AT got a cut sidewall. Different carcass than the MT or RT

FordyceCreekTrail
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm

I got 125K out of last two sets of BFG A/T on my Titan.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by olyelr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm
I got 125K out of last two sets of BFG A/T on my Titan.

I have had several sets of BFG AT's/MT's as well as my brother and dad... we have never had a single issue with them.

But, by golly if you read up the reviews on their own website shit starts getting real skeptical :lol:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes :patriot:

User avatar
Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 am
Model Year: 2016
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm
I got 125K out of last two sets of BFG A/T on my Titan.
You should buy a lottery ticket.
Best Year Power Wagon

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1960
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 am

The original AT’s could probably be a whole league better than the new ones. Maybe the tougher sidewall they put on the KO2’s is the only improvement. I think they ride like crap so it’s hard to even call that a plus.

User avatar
HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 am
Model Year: 2017
Location: Lakeside CA

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by HammerTime » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:31 am

I had less than 2000 miles on my Power Wagon when I put some new tires on her. 315/70/17 Pro Comp MT2s. No issues yet, other than they are a lot noisier than the others I've had over the years.
2017 White/Black Power Wagon

FordyceCreekTrail
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 am

I could give a crap less about noise. I just like tires that hold air.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

User avatar
Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 am

I definitely wouldn't want the Duratrac tread pattern on my seats...

I feel bad that so many have issues with the Wrangler Duratrac's - but mine have served me very well. I can't help but wonder if the continual tire pressure changes that many people do impact tire leaking. I never dick with my pressures and only have to add 3-5 psi to all 5 tires once a year in November when the outside temps drop. I never physically check the pressures because it's right there on TPMS. (Although once, the dealer did pump the rear tires up to 80 psi during a recall - and I had to let just a little pressure out)

It's true that the sidewalls are not as stiff as some of the other tires out there - that's why they don't ride as harsh at higher pressures. They seem to have great traction in snow or on wet or dry pavement or on rock. Load capacity rating of 3195 pounds... I'd buy up some of the stock tires here, but my original tires will likely last until I trade in after 2020...
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

User avatar
HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 am
Model Year: 2017
Location: Lakeside CA

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by HammerTime » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:01 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 am
I could give a crap less about noise. I just like tires that hold air.
LOL! Along with that....

I also like them to perform well and hold up at 15 PSI, grab rocks, hard pan, slick rock, dirt, and get traction in sand, etc. Oh, and also they need to last while towing a 7500 LB trailer with a couple of dirt bikes in the back....:)

:cheers:
2017 White/Black Power Wagon

User avatar
HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 am
Model Year: 2017
Location: Lakeside CA

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by HammerTime » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 am

Bill2014 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 am
I definitely wouldn't want the Duratrac tread pattern on my seats...

I feel bad that so many have issues with the Wrangler Duratrac's - but mine have served me very well. I can't help but wonder if the continual tire pressure changes that many people do impact tire leaking. I never dick with my pressures and only have to add 3-5 psi to all 5 tires once a year in November when the outside temps drop. I never physically check the pressures because it's right there on TPMS. (Although once, the dealer did pump the rear tires up to 80 psi during a recall - and I had to let just a little pressure out)

It's true that the sidewalls are not as stiff as some of the other tires out there - that's why they don't ride as harsh at higher pressures. They seem to have great traction in snow or on wet or dry pavement or on rock. Load capacity rating of 3195 pounds... I'd buy up some of the stock tires here, but my original tires will likely last until I trade in after 2020...
I'm guessing you don't off road your PW much. That's why you don't have issues with the sidewalls, or punctures. In the desert there area a lot of opportunities for a flat tire! To be fair, the tires are not really that bad for a stock tire. I just happen to think that Ram should slap some 35" Toyo's or something similar on a Power Wagon. The trucks look funny to me with the 33" tires!
2017 White/Black Power Wagon

FordyceCreekTrail
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:57 am

If you go on so much as a gravel road you will get flats. I will say that having 65 wagon wheel PSI in your tires will accelerate the collapse of these tires. They last longer at about 35PSI or so. At 65 PSI its brutal riding off-road as well. My issue is the dealer is doing my oil changes(free) and it always has a recall when I go in anyways. They crank the PSI up every time despite asking them not to. And these tires just cannot handle being that stiff with such thin rubber.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

User avatar
Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by Bill2014 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 am

HammerTime wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 am
Bill2014 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 am
I definitely wouldn't want the Duratrac tread pattern on my seats...

I feel bad that so many have issues with the Wrangler Duratrac's - but mine have served me very well. I can't help but wonder if the continual tire pressure changes that many people do impact tire leaking. I never dick with my pressures and only have to add 3-5 psi to all 5 tires once a year in November when the outside temps drop. I never physically check the pressures because it's right there on TPMS. (Although once, the dealer did pump the rear tires up to 80 psi during a recall - and I had to let just a little pressure out)

It's true that the sidewalls are not as stiff as some of the other tires out there - that's why they don't ride as harsh at higher pressures. They seem to have great traction in snow or on wet or dry pavement or on rock. Load capacity rating of 3195 pounds... I'd buy up some of the stock tires here, but my original tires will likely last until I trade in after 2020...
I'm guessing you don't off road your PW much. That's why you don't have issues with the sidewalls, or punctures. In the desert there area a lot of opportunities for a flat tire! To be fair, the tires are not really that bad for a stock tire. I just happen to think that Ram should slap some 35" Toyo's or something similar on a Power Wagon. The trucks look funny to me with the 33" tires!
Sorry to go off topic...

It's hard to say how much I do on-road vs. off-road.
But in my last 6714.7 miles, my average speed has been 20 mph :wink:
Perhaps others that don't reset one of their trip meters can post pics of their displays - now I'm curious - maybe average mph will tell a story of who off-roads and who mostly drives the pavement?. :poke:
dash-trip-display.jpg
btw - if you don't reset your trip, hours roll over from 99 to 0. so the Elapsed time in the pic above is actually 331 hours 43 minutes 0 seconds :D
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

FordyceCreekTrail
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:02 pm

I notice mine is a little on the slow side as well. But its a slow crawl up the mountain to our house each day I guess.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

User avatar
HammerTime
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 am
Model Year: 2017
Location: Lakeside CA

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by HammerTime » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:35 am

Gravel roads don't count for off road in my book!

But that is just me of course..:)

And of course, I don't know how you wheel your rig! Your miles may be all on the Rubicon for all I know!

All jokin' aside, I'm also looking forward to what the Power Wagons are going to look like in 2020. I hope they don't lose their edge...
2017 White/Black Power Wagon

FordyceCreekTrail
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Well got the 35" KM3s on yesterday. Just now got the spare put in,( could not wait all day on Discount Tire) damn that is a bitch fitting a 35 back there! 35s still seem small, but mine is a daily driver for work. However it feels completely different. Its feels as if 35s were the size tire the truck was designed for stock. I can see why everyone comes to the same conclusion that 33s are too small. It does add a higher center of gravity, but otherwise handles well. The difference in ride is significant. Even at 60-70 PSI( I told them 50) the truck rides as good as the Duratrash aired down. Its almost as if the Duratrash is this rock hard belt that splits at the sight of a pebble but with super weak and squishy sidewalls. The KM3s seem like truck real truck tires by comparison. Even compared to the Duratrash when they were new, the KM3 ride better. When I went to stuff the spare I assumed the tire still had a ton of air in it because it was so solid, but they had it down to 15PSI trying to stuff it. At 15PSI the Duratrash would be pealing off the rims. Noise? Of course them monster meats are noisy. About like the Duratrash after 15K.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

EasyDoesIt
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:32 am
Model Year: 2018
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by EasyDoesIt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:35 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:16 pm
Well got the 35" KM3s on yesterday.
Pictures or it didnt happen :D
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

FordyceCreekTrail
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:13 am

Ok, ok will snag some later...AND I will make sure its off road :notworthy:
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

FordyceCreekTrail
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 am

Only had time for for photos at work yesterday so far. New KM3s.
Attachments
DSCN3039.JPG
DSCN3040.JPG
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

User avatar
whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 9:26 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Durham, North Carolina

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by whitey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:16 pm

I am curious about the duratracs. What did the wear pattern look like running them at 65 psi all the time? Oh and how much do your generation of power wagon's weigh?

User avatar
Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Model Year: 2015
Location: Eagle River, Alaska

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by Low_Sky » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:53 pm

whitey wrote:I am curious about the duratracs. What did the wear pattern look like running them at 65 psi all the time? Oh and how much do your generation of power wagon's weigh?
Empty with rock sliders, I tip the scales at around 8000 in my Laramie w/RamBox. Heavy SOBs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by olyelr » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:19 pm

whitey wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:16 pm
I am curious about the duratracs. What did the wear pattern look like running them at 65 psi all the time? Oh and how much do your generation of power wagon's weigh?
I think its Bill2014 (i think) that has 15k+- miles on his duratracs set at 65ish psi and he claims they have perfect wear.

I have 20k on mine now. Usually always at 60ish psi give or take. Other than some typical minor cupping, they are wearing quite well.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes :patriot:

User avatar
Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: Best Build Decision? Leather....

Post by Bill2014 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:53 pm
whitey wrote:I am curious about the duratracs. What did the wear pattern look like running them at 65 psi all the time? Oh and how much do your generation of power wagon's weigh?
Empty with rock sliders, I tip the scales at around 8000 in my Laramie w/RamBox. Heavy SOBs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the Duratracs at 65psi, the front tires will wear the edges about 1/32" ahead of the rest of the tire. The front tires still squash a little at 65psi. The rears at 65psi wear even inside-center-outside.

With two of us in the truck, rock sliders, receiver tongue, and a full tank of gas, the truck weighs 8280 lbs.
5160 front and 3120 rear.
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

Post Reply