Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post Reply
User avatar
Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:05 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Phelan, CA
Contact:

Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Have any of you guys replaced wheel hubs on a 5th Gen 2500? I’ve been chasing an intermittent shimmy in the front end for months and have eliminated all other variables I can think of, both of my wheel bearings have play (only 34k miles) and could be the culprit so I’m looking for any recommendation on brands, install tips, etc.

Gonna see if the dealership will warranty them but I doubt it with the ‘oversize’ 35” tires and aftermarket wheels.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KO2’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am

SKF hubs only, no exceptions. Do not run Timken. SKF is the NAPA house brand for my 2011 and probably is for yours, and NAPA will do a 3 year warranty on the bearings.

When you install it, and do this to your other hub as well, unscrew the ABS plug and squirt in a good chunk of your favorite wheel bearing rated grease. I got a LOT in mine, I think 120 pumps and 150 pumps per bearing. You do not need this much but I figure there’s still lots of air gap in there. When you pull the ABS plug you’ll see the tone ring right there, you’ll want to squirt some grease in until it fills the slot and then rotate. Squirt some, rotate, repeat, until you can’t get any more in or you’re happy or out of grease!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4169
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by RustyPW » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am
SKF hubs only, no exceptions. Do not run Timken. SKF is the NAPA house brand for my 2011 and probably is for yours, and NAPA will do a 3 year warranty on the bearings.

When you install it, and do this to your other hub as well, unscrew the ABS plug and squirt in a good chunk of your favorite wheel bearing rated grease. I got a LOT in mine, I think 120 pumps and 150 pumps per bearing. You do not need this much but I figure there’s still lots of air gap in there. When you pull the ABS plug you’ll see the tone ring right there, you’ll want to squirt some grease in until it fills the slot and then rotate. Squirt some, rotate, repeat, until you can’t get any more in or you’re happy or out of grease!
:rockon:

Or just buy Dynatrac freespin hubs. :lol: You can repack them anytime you want.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:21 am

RustyPW wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 am
DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am
SKF hubs only, no exceptions. Do not run Timken. SKF is the NAPA house brand for my 2011 and probably is for yours, and NAPA will do a 3 year warranty on the bearings.

When you install it, and do this to your other hub as well, unscrew the ABS plug and squirt in a good chunk of your favorite wheel bearing rated grease. I got a LOT in mine, I think 120 pumps and 150 pumps per bearing. You do not need this much but I figure there’s still lots of air gap in there. When you pull the ABS plug you’ll see the tone ring right there, you’ll want to squirt some grease in until it fills the slot and then rotate. Squirt some, rotate, repeat, until you can’t get any more in or you’re happy or out of grease!
:rockon:

Or just buy Dynatrac freespin hubs. :lol: You can repack them anytime you want.
Or carry three lifetime supplies of perfectly good unit bearings that you don’t forget to lock into 4wd and spend hours stuck in a mud pit or silt bog :run:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4169
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by RustyPW » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:26 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:21 am
RustyPW wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 am
DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am
SKF hubs only, no exceptions. Do not run Timken. SKF is the NAPA house brand for my 2011 and probably is for yours, and NAPA will do a 3 year warranty on the bearings.

When you install it, and do this to your other hub as well, unscrew the ABS plug and squirt in a good chunk of your favorite wheel bearing rated grease. I got a LOT in mine, I think 120 pumps and 150 pumps per bearing. You do not need this much but I figure there’s still lots of air gap in there. When you pull the ABS plug you’ll see the tone ring right there, you’ll want to squirt some grease in until it fills the slot and then rotate. Squirt some, rotate, repeat, until you can’t get any more in or you’re happy or out of grease!
:rockon:

Or just buy Dynatrac freespin hubs. :lol: You can repack them anytime you want.
Or carry three lifetime supplies of perfectly good unit bearings that you don’t forget to lock into 4wd and spend hours stuck in a mud pit silt bog :run:
Year before at Rausch Creek. Forgot to lock the hubs in and got stuck on a small tree stump that caught the front axle going down hill. :lol: Did most of the morning thinking the hubs are locked and with the rear axle locked. The PW did good up to that point. Rear axle locked and 2 wheel drive. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:05 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Phelan, CA
Contact:

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by Chromolykid » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks for the tips Marcus, I’ll probably go that route. Can’t believe these are going bad already but they definitely have play and I get some weird resonance feeling from the front axle when going downhill. Not always at the same speed either which I think eliminates the driveshaft.

I like the free-spin hubs for how much I drive on the highway but I’m not a fan of having to manually lock them. If I can get a good hub assembly to last the life of the truck I will be happy. Might look into some quality u-joints while I’m in there just for peace of mind.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KO2’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:44 pm
Model Year: 2009

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by Colibri » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:58 pm

I used to run drive flanges instead of lockout hubs. It gave superior strength and ease of maintenance like the regular free spin kit but the ease of shift on the fly like stock. If you ever do break a shaft it’s just a few recessed Allen head bolts on the hub to pull the drive flange and go free spin on that wheel end.

Both dynatrac and spyntec will sell the kit without lockout hubs, then you just get standard 35 spline Dana 60 drive flanges and you’re good to go.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:05 pm

The spicer sealed joints are the way to go but having done mine I don’t think that’s a job I’d want to do without having a bad joint. It’s kind of a bitch.

I’ve got 185,000 miles on one hub and 45,000 on the other, and they’ve seen some air time LOL. The first one didn’t even give weird symptoms but it had metal flaming inside that triggered the ABS alarm, so it was in need of imminent replacement.

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3180
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by olyelr » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am


When you install it, and do this to your other hub as well, unscrew the ABS plug and squirt in a good chunk of your favorite wheel bearing rated grease. I got a LOT in mine, I think 120 pumps and 150 pumps per bearing. You do not need this much but I figure there’s still lots of air gap in there. When you pull the ABS plug you’ll see the tone ring right there, you’ll want to squirt some grease in until it fills the slot and then rotate. Squirt some, rotate, repeat, until you can’t get any more in or you’re happy or out of grease!
Now I know manufacturers can do stupid things at times, but wouldn’t you think that if it was a benefit to have it filled with grease then they would sell them like that? That just seems so fawking stupid!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes :patriot:

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:09 am

olyelr wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 am
DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am


When you install it, and do this to your other hub as well, unscrew the ABS plug and squirt in a good chunk of your favorite wheel bearing rated grease. I got a LOT in mine, I think 120 pumps and 150 pumps per bearing. You do not need this much but I figure there’s still lots of air gap in there. When you pull the ABS plug you’ll see the tone ring right there, you’ll want to squirt some grease in until it fills the slot and then rotate. Squirt some, rotate, repeat, until you can’t get any more in or you’re happy or out of grease!
Now I know manufacturers can do stupid things at times, but wouldn’t you think that if it was a benefit to have it filled with grease then they would sell them like that? That just seems so fawking stupid!
They do have a little grease in there

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:55 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:09 am
olyelr wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 am
DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am


When you install it, and do this to your other hub as well, unscrew the ABS plug and squirt in a good chunk of your favorite wheel bearing rated grease. I got a LOT in mine, I think 120 pumps and 150 pumps per bearing. You do not need this much but I figure there’s still lots of air gap in there. When you pull the ABS plug you’ll see the tone ring right there, you’ll want to squirt some grease in until it fills the slot and then rotate. Squirt some, rotate, repeat, until you can’t get any more in or you’re happy or out of grease!
Now I know manufacturers can do stupid things at times, but wouldn’t you think that if it was a benefit to have it filled with grease then they would sell them like that? That just seems so fawking stupid!
They do have a little grease in there

A little grease goes a long way.

Make sure you're adding a compatible grease to whats already in the bearing. Mixing incompatible products will cause them to breakdown and liquify. :shock:

Grease_Chart.jpg
Sorry for being a FUD monger.

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:31 am

There is so little grease in factory bearings that diluting it so much probably saves any issues. Word from the OG crowd has been consistently - grease through ABS hole, use what tickles your fancy, and this has shown repeatedly longer bearing life by large margins with no negatives as of yet. This has probably been going on 10-12 years.

I use Amsoil Off-road grease NLGI 2 in mine. I have no clue what came in the bearings nor any idea how to even lay eyes on it without cutting the bearing open or destroying the seal

That said maybe somebody could run into an issue but I’ve not heard anyone have problems.

User avatar
Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1471
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:12 am
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Just pour your favorite 140w gear lube in the front....
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826


I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4169
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by RustyPW » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Pit Slave wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:25 pm
Just pour your favorite 140w gear lube in the front....
Got some 80w-250. It's $70.00 a liter. :shock:

I don't see why gear lube wouldn't work. The front axle bearings on my motorhome run on gear lube.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 am

Grease is just oil suspended in a soap. On top of your favorite 100W-350 gear lube is just pour an ounce of Dawn in there. Gojo and Fast Orange work well too but I’d get the non-pumice one

Easttnrhino
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:11 pm
Model Year: 2017
Location: athens tn

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by Easttnrhino » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for the grease tip thru the abs hole, my question is no ABS problems with the grease in there?
Enjoying beautiful east TN

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Recommendation

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:43 pm

Easttnrhino wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:53 pm
Thanks for the grease tip thru the abs hole, my question is no ABS problems with the grease in there?
Nope won’t cause any issues, ABS uses a magnetic pickup and the grease won’t interfere. If you have an ABS issue after greasing, stick a Q-tip in the hole and get some grease out and inspect it - I found metal shavings in my grease and that’s what told me the bearing was going out.

Post Reply