Shortening a synthetic winch line or extension.

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Cactus Red

Shortening a synthetic winch line or extension.

Post by Cactus Red » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 am

As we all know, the winch only makes it's rated pull on the first wrap on the drum. Part of the recovery seminar last week was how to shorten a winch line or extension so that you can acheive the most power and keep line from cleaving between wraps on the drum. I always start a pull with with only 8 wraps left on the drum.

There are a couple ways to go, the best is to use a pulley block and a double pull.

Sometimes that won't work tho. There are a couple knots that can be used to shorten a line. One is the daisy chain, the other a sheepshank. The problem with a sheepshank in synthetic is it will slip since synthetic line is so slick. But, it's a lot faster to tie than a daisy chain, and much, much easier to un-do. To keep it from slipping I use a cinch bone on both ends. The photos only show one end of the knot.

Here is a video of the basic knot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lopGPwY-sno
Attachments
basic sheep shank.jpg
Basic knot
add cinch bone.jpg
Add the Cinch Bone to the loop as shown
tightended on cinch bone.jpg
Tighten the knot
I'm just along for the ride...