More than 4 TPMS sensors?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

More than 4 TPMS sensors?

Post by KevinABQ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:03 am

So after driving around on the spare for a day it bothered me that there was no TPMS sensor. I was assured by the tire guy who replaced my trashed duracrap that he could install a TPMS in the spare and it would work. Wrong, didn't work. Dealer tech and FCA support told me
"According to available information, this vehicle can support 4 road
wheel sensors. A tire pressure monitoring sensor can be placed in a
spare wheel; however, once installed in place of one of the road wheels
it will require programming either by an authorized dealership or by
driving the vehicle or by using a RKE-TPM Analyzer in conjunction with a
Scan Tool."

However the manual implies that in some 2500s the spare has a working TPMS sensor. The PW has a steel spare vs the 4 aluminum wheels, so it's a 'non-matching spare', so no TPMS for it. Anyone know if it's possible to reconfigure the PW to support more than the 4 sensors it has?
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: More than 4 TPMS sensors?

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:53 am

It should work, how long did you drive on the spare? What kind of sensors did you buy? I bought OE sensors for my new wheels and the truck picked them right up. The spare shouldn't be any different. It may take a few miles for the computer to reset.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:15 am

Yes, I have noticed that after a tire rotation it takes a bit for the computer to switch/change sensors.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Over a hundred miles. It's hard coded for the sensors. It only recognizes those 4 sensors and requires reprogramming to change a sensor out. Once I had another duracrap and the stock wheel mounted it picked up before I got out of the parking lot.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.