More Road-Feel After Driveshaft Rebuild?

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

More Road-Feel After Driveshaft Rebuild?

Post by coder » Wed May 16, 2018 8:22 pm

I recently had both front and rear driveshafts rebuild by a reputable shop in my area. The front drive shaft did have a far amount of play in it I could feel it when off road in 4WD. The rear drive shaft had a frozen u-joint at the transmission, but I never noticed anything.

My question is now that all the u-joints are new and the front driveshaft play is gone I have noticed more road-feel while driving, even an occasional very slight vibration in the floor/pedals between 70-75 MPH. Has anyone else experienced anything like this after all new u-joints, can this be the effect of the new, tighter drivetrain or is some wrong?

Additionally the frozen u-joint at the transmission in the rear slightly deformed the the yoke, however the shop said they were able to balance it. I'm wondering if there is some residual problems that may be causing road-feel/vibration issue, any experiences, thoughts relating to this?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: More Road-Feel After Driveshaft Rebuild?

Post by Colibri » Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm

If a shop would reuse a deformed yoke, then I would be suspect of anything they touched period. That’s just asking for trouble. That being said, if I leave my hubs locked and get on the highway I can absolutely feel a noticeable difference in the front end of the truck. My front driveshaft is pretty new and in good shape and properly balanced, but that’s a hefty piece of steel moving around.

How are your axle ujoints btw? They can make steering feel heavy if they’re starting to seize up
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 am

Colibri wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm
If a shop would reuse a deformed yoke, then I would be suspect of anything they touched period. That’s just asking for trouble. That being said, if I leave my hubs locked and get on the highway I can absolutely feel a noticeable difference in the front end of the truck. My front driveshaft is pretty new and in good shape and properly balanced, but that’s a hefty piece of steel moving around.

How are your axle ujoints btw? They can make steering feel heavy if they’re starting to seize up
Axle u-joints are good, the reuse of the yoke was based on a few factors, the damage was minimal, that rear drive was able to be balanced and a new OEM yoke (there are no aftermarket versions available) are very expensive MSRP is $289.

I will be taking it back this week to have everything checked and rebalanced at no charge and see if they find anything.

Still not sure that anything is wrong just very anal about my truck and sometime I find myself obsessing about and change in anything.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 am

I understand post work hypersensitivity for sure, I think that’s a pretty normal thing after a mod of some sort. I know those yokes are a bear, my rear replacement shaft ran almost 800 and it seemed like half the cost was in the yokes. Good luck getting it figured out sir!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu May 17, 2018 2:20 am

I just had Tom Woods build me a rear driveshaft. A buddy got a quote for a whole shaft of about $700 I believe, and my price was $370 with me supplying the yoke and flange. Interesting point to note, a 2014+ driveshaft is a direct bolt in to the older trucks but is 2” shorter, so you can run it as a trail fix or temporary spare

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 pm

The drivestrain shop is going to rebalance everything tomorrow and let me know if they find any problems. Worst case I can get a replacement OEM rear w/yokes for $529.35 out the door and install in myself it's only 4 bolts.

PN # 52123148AC

https://www.ranchomoparparts.com/oem-pa ... 52123148ac

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am

:doh: I just can't wrap my head around how so many things seem to be not worth fixing, because a brand new part is just a little more. $289 for a yoke or $529 for an entire new shaft with 2 new u-joints and yoke & new shaft. Just don't seem right to me.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 pm

The drives check out, are balanced and in good order so, I starting to think the road feel/vibration I'm feeling might be from my tires I have Toyo AT2's with almost 40k miles on them, they will make it to the promised 50k but will be pretty much down to the wear indicators by then.

The wear pattern looks okay but rubber is getting harder and nosier when I drive has anyone else experienced this with worn tires?
Attachments
ATII 40k Miles.jpg

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:57 pm

[/quote]Axle u-joints are good, the reuse of the yoke was based on a few factors, the damage was minimal, that rear drive was able to be balanced and a new OEM yoke (there are no aftermarket versions available) are very expensive MSRP is $289.[/quote]

consider yourself lucky. i need a new yoke on my New Holland bailer and it's almost $900! unbelievable.

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90