2014+ Water Free Intake Ideas

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

2014+ Water Free Intake Ideas

Post by NickTF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:23 am

Aside from putting a snorkel/raised air intake on the truck, what measures are guys taking to make sure water doesn't get in the air intake of these trucks? Just some preventative questions brewing in my head for an up and coming local offroad event where deep mud may be present.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: 2014+ Water Free Intake Ideas

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:43 am

Look on the bottom of your intake box. There is an intake tube that goes into the fender. That's your problem child. There is also a drain hole on the bottom. But that shouldn't be a huge deal breaker...

You need to extend the breather more important too. Get them up way above the frame.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:17 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:43 am
Look on the bottom of your intake box. There is an intake tube that goes into the fender. That's your problem child. There is also a drain hole on the bottom. But that shouldn't be a huge deal breaker...

You need to extend the breather more important too. Get them up way above the frame.
I saw the thread regarding the breathers. In the plans for the future.

It's been a while since i've had the box out for taking the locker bypass kit in and out a few times. I recall the horn. If I remove it the question is should the box be sealed, the horn be moved, or other to avoid water? I'm sure the brain storming will begin instantly once I take a look at it again was just curious as to what others are doing along the lines of what i've asked. I saw where Reloader suggested flipping the horn to face in the engine compartment. I'll see if that's feasible with whatever may or may not be in the way.

Thanks!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:35 pm

The biggest items in reality are that you run a good air filter and you make sure your axle seals get replaced right away if they’re leaking. I run a Wix filter and have basically pressure washed it directly through river crossings with a gaping hole in my air box for my shock towers. Water just runs off the filter, doesn’t soak in, still running the same filter 20,000 miles later. Aside from that it’s more about driver technique than anything, if it’s a base crossing or you know your speed will be too slow then you’re in for danger. If you can keep a low speed and maintain a bow wave you can cross pretty deep. I’ve been up to mid-door/ base of grille for 200 yards no issue.

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 pm

I have the OEM air filter in (replaced at 30,000 miles as stated in manual, truck has around 53,500 on it now). No idea how good or bad that filter is at rejecting water. Good info. I don't plan to do any pure river/creek type crossings, just mud where it may be difficult to control speed given its all about being able to maintain momentum. From what I gather the "hole" could have as much as 30" or water maybe a little more. I'm probably over thinking this but i'm certainly not trying to underthink it and hear the sound of a noodled rod.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 am

Nick, I had an open K&N on my Ranger and hit deeper mud holes than that. Over the bumpers... had water flowing through knee deep in my second Gen on Fordyce (lots of high flow creeks). 30" is only tire height at best, I think you will be fine. Just don't hit it too fast, but throttle down once you are in.

Bring a spare filter though, just in case. for $30, cheap spare. I always carried a K&N in my 2nd gen even though they are junk, they don't absorb water so even rolling in a river, you could use it once recovered.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000