Update

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Update

Post by olyelr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 am

MJockey wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 am
Chromolykid wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 am
Haven’t figured out how to straighten out the bowing yet, though. Mine still look tweeked and sit a half inch higher than the bedside. Thinking about attaching some kind of angle iron to the bottom side to see if it will straighten them out.
Do you have the RAM box organizer kit? I had to grind down the center dividers to get my boxes to close completely.
I do, and I had to as well. I havnt had any issues with my covers yet, although they never have appeared “seamless” with the box when they are closed (seem to be an 1/8” or so high in a few areas).
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes :patriot:

User avatar
Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 884
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: Update

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:28 am

olyelr wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 am
MJockey wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 am
Chromolykid wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 am
Haven’t figured out how to straighten out the bowing yet, though. Mine still look tweeked and sit a half inch higher than the bedside. Thinking about attaching some kind of angle iron to the bottom side to see if it will straighten them out.
Do you have the RAM box organizer kit? I had to grind down the center dividers to get my boxes to close completely.
I do, and I had to as well. I havnt had any issues with my covers yet, although they never have appeared “seamless” with the box when they are closed (seem to be an 1/8” or so high in a few areas).
Do the gaps close up when you fill the bed completely with gravel? :poke: :rofl:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Update

Post by BoldAdventure » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 am

I've never had problems with my Ram Box lids either. (knock on wood) The organizer kit was clearly designed with the original non-power locking Ram Boxes in mind. I had the kit on my 2010 1500 with Ram Box, and did not need to trim the centers. I bought the kit for the Power Wagon and noticed, other than the doors, it's the SAME FRICKING KIT and they clearly didn't even bother to update it to clear the new power locking housing on the underside which is much larger.

Really, makes you wonder.

Image
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Update

Post by olyelr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Not to mention, it is so overpriced it isnt even funny. I understand OEM stuff from any of the manufacturer’s is certainly gonna be on the pricey side, but c’mon....the price of these kits is so high for what you get. Also, at $1200 or whatever the damn ramboxes cost, shouldnt a kit like this just be part of it?!?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes :patriot:

User avatar
Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:05 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Phelan, CA
Contact:

Re: Update

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:01 pm

They would be infinitely better, even still plastic and tape, if they latched on the outer ends as well. The rubber seal pushing up on a long piece of soft plastic held down in the center is what causes them to warp, which causes the tape to pull off. I just try to not look at it anymore, even adjusted my mirrors out so I don’t catch it as often and get bummed out at the quality on a $60k truck.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KO2’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Update

Post by BoldAdventure » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:12 pm

olyelr wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:01 pm
Not to mention, it is so overpriced it isnt even funny. I understand OEM stuff from any of the manufacturer’s is certainly gonna be on the pricey side, but c’mon....the price of these kits is so high for what you get. Also, at $1200 or whatever the damn ramboxes cost, shouldnt a kit like this just be part of it?!?
Agreed. The kit is stupid for what it is, and should by default be a part of the Ram Boxes. I bought it twice to boot!! I wasn't going to the second time, but it is useful, especially the little pockets. But it is DEF STUPIDITY PRICED.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Update

Post by olyelr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Yea, now that I have the kit I am glad I splurged for it. Super usefull. Just hard to justify the cost. Although with a little time, the plastic pieces could fairly easily be made at home with a wood product. Having the pattern would be very handy though. The netting material is really handy for the lighter stuff, too, like gloves and zip ties and stuff like that.

I wouldnt own a Ram without the ramboxes now that I have them (I dont need a topper). Just hope I dont have any issues like a lot of the other people chiming in!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes :patriot:

User avatar
Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 693
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Model Year: 2015
Location: Eagle River, Alaska

Re: Update

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:06 pm

olyelr wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm
Yea, now that I have the kit I am glad I splurged for it. Super usefull. Just hard to justify the cost. Although with a little time, the plastic pieces could fairly easily be made at home with a wood product. Having the pattern would be very handy though. The netting material is really handy for the lighter stuff, too, like gloves and zip ties and stuff like that.

I wouldnt own a Ram without the ramboxes now that I have them (I dont need a topper). Just hope I dont have any issues like a lot of the other people chiming in!
4" x 9-1/4" of 1/4" plywood with the bottom corners knocked off makes a mighty fine divider. I like the looks of the mesh nets, but good grief they are proud of those things. If you have some patience and woodworking tools you can do anything else you want to do in there with ply wood.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

User avatar
scoutpappa
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 pm
Model Year: 2017

Re: Update

Post by scoutpappa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Chromolykid wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 am
scoutpappa wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:38 am
did the recall. had them flash the tranny as well due to horrible downshifts 3-2 and 2-1. did the 17.07 update myself. the recall had a bcm reflash as well. as for the ram box issue...well when they change the box for warp they keep the painted cover...and if they don't know what the f:"k they are doing you have to wait until they can get more double sided tape from the oem and then give them pointers on how it probably should be installed as to actually fix the issue you had originally, in this case the new box fixed one, the warp, as for the cover coming off there should be something a little more informative...fo the installer. tranny shift well now. never had an issue with the shifter but the parts are replaced. the 17.07 update I did myself and had no issues. with all of the module firmware shuffles, the only thing i had to reset was the horn on setting with lock feature.
Most 2500 Rambox covers will eventually fall off. The tape design is weak and only works on the 1500 boxes because they have retaining tabs in the corners to keep everything pressed together. In their infinite wisdom, Ram left the tabs off of the 2500 Rambox design. I’m amazed at how many I see flapping down the road and the owners don’t seem to notice.

I tried several epoxies and “plastic welders” to no avail, but good old fashioned super glue has worked great so far. Squirt a liberal amount between the cover and lid, clamp for a few hours and you’re good as new, sorta. Haven’t figured out how to straighten out the bowing yet, though. Mine still look tweeked and sit a half inch higher than the bedside. Thinking about attaching some kind of angle iron to the bottom side to see if it will straighten them out.
So the new box fixes the warp (meaning the top caps line up at the horizontal). They re-use the painted cover. I understand it's an OEM fix but there is a negligible amount of glue and double stick. I'm biased because I worked as a custom car mechanic to pay my way through school. 3M double sided tape and pro bond adhesive promoter and you can stick anything to anything (at a cost to the clear coat and paint), but it doesn't come off. Since I gave them a chance now they will replace the passenger box as well. If they can't get the cover to stick then I will (see heat gun, pro bond and good double sided tape). I am in industrial construction now (EE, PMP) so I have access to epoxies that I probably shouldn't, if the aforementioned doesn't work. IMHO I don't think this will be the case.

Post Reply