Morimoto fx’rs

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Morimoto fx’rs

Post by HeavyDuty » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:33 am

Spurred from another post. I have done some research on these Morimoto fsr projector upgrades.
Looks like a great improvement from stock
Has anyone done this mod?
How was the mod install?
And was the improvement worth it?

Thanks in advance.
ONE SHOT, ONE KILL, NO EXCEPTIONS
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Morimoto fx’rs

Post by trk4sale » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 am

I put Morimoto projectors on my 05. Huge difference, like night and day.
The Retrofit Source is a good place to check them out
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Preview

2005 white Q.C. Power Wagon #1716
AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Super Chips Flashpac Tuner
Wet Okole seat covers
35" Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Line-X bed coating
Trac Rac Sliding Lumber Rack
Dual Batteries w/ Hellroaring Technologies Isolator/Combiner
Extreme Outback Magnum on board air compressor
H2 rims

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:26 am

When your high dollar HIDs shit the bed, and the retailer leaves your hanging, my $90 DDMs will still be chugging along.

drdfblackm
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by drdfblackm » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm

I am assuming you all have stock projector housings....for those that do not....did you just look for projector housings on eBay or did you retrofit your housings with projectors? Stock headlights are no so good and I don't want to blind everyone on the road by putting HID/LED elements in stock housings. FYI I have a 2011 PW with dual not quad.
Last edited by drdfblackm on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

continuecrushing
Model Year: 2014

Post by continuecrushing » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:11 pm

I bought headlights on ebay and did the whole retrofit on those. I also swapped from quad to projector too.

If you have factory projector headlights, you can get brackets to make everything essentially "plug and play" and I'd heavily consider the fx-r, d2s 4.0, or the G5-R projector (I chose the G5-R).

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Amount of improvement depends on which year truck you have. Factory lights on my '05 were complete crap and I spent a bunch of money on various high watt halogen capsules and tweaks to get better light, but nothing was adequate. So I bit the bullet and ordered a set of retrofit projectors from RetroShop. I think he uses Morimoto components. They are not as good as I would like, but they are way better than stock or stock with the high watt capsules. Worth the money. Had a bad ballast (burned connector) and RS sent me a new one. Had the same problem on the other side a year later and those ballasts were no longer available from RS and I was beyond any stated or implied warranty, so I had to find a hole-in-the-wall car audio/alarm/window tint/lowrider shop that could get something that would work. They patched the light together with a little solder and duct tape and connectors they had on hand and got me going again, and it's been fine but I expect failure. I kept my old headlights just in case, looks like a good move. If I had a newer truck, I'd probably still play with different halogen capsules and fatter wires before I dropped big bucks on HID retros, but might still end up in the same place.

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:00 pm

it's worth it
Attachments
20170916_165522.jpg
did the retro..my self..no issues ...

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:21 am

drdfblackm wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm
I am assuming you all have stock projector housings....for those that do not....did you just look for projector housings on eBay or did you retrofit your housings with projectors? Stock headlights are no so good and I don't want to blind everyone on the road by putting HID/LED elements in stock housings. FYI I have a 2011 PW with dual not quad.
I would not put HID's in your factory housings.

So I have owned the Morimoto FX-R's. They are amazing, light output is superior to the factory projectors. From my experience with ebay projectors, they are worse than the factory OE projectors.

I had Morimoto FX-R projectors in my 1500 in lights I had built by the retroshop.us - and I used DDM Tuning HID's in them. Fantastically bright, excellent beam pattern with sharp cut off. Much better than the factory which is washed out. Even with my DDM HID's in them.

The only thing that has kept me from doing that all over again is the cost. It was substantial the first time, and when my LED's halos failed like 5 months later it really ticked me off. And I decided I was done with those kinds of mods.

After driving all night from Portland, OR to Boise, ID in shit weather, I honestly thought about my old headlights a few times.
2014-09-05 17.26.19.jpg
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trk4sale » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:19 am

I did my own work also. Fortunately on Gen 3 trucks it's super easy to get the lights off the truck to work on them. the one gripe I had was the poor quality of the resistors included with the wiring harness from The Retrofit Source. They were big, poorly made and failed (melted) early. I bought some Mil Spec resistors and have not had any issues since.
Preview

2005 white Q.C. Power Wagon #1716
AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Super Chips Flashpac Tuner
Wet Okole seat covers
35" Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Line-X bed coating
Trac Rac Sliding Lumber Rack
Dual Batteries w/ Hellroaring Technologies Isolator/Combiner
Extreme Outback Magnum on board air compressor
H2 rims