Fender Flares

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
ToddKaz
Model Year: 2014

Re: Fender Flares

Post by ToddKaz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:16 pm

I have had great luck with EGR flares. I have them on 3 of my Ram trucks including my PW. No sticky tape is used and they screw into factory location. I added an extra screw or two just for good measure though. I believe they are an Australian company....not sure where they are manufactured though.
Attachments
PW10.jpg
PW11.png
PW11.png (186.33 KiB) Viewed 4772 times
2014 Laramie 3500 CTD - AEV Dual Sport - AEV Diff Covers - AEV Bumper 15k Warn - AEV Salta's - 37" Pro Comp MT2 - 4.10 ARB front/rear - HNC rear winch bumper
2016 Laramie 2500 Power Wagon - 4.88 - Leveling Kit - 37" STT Pro - Mopar Step - Transfer Flow Bed Tank
2016 Rubicon - 40" MT2 - 5.13 - Currie 60 Rear - Teraflex 44 Front - 10k Warn - Teraflex 6" long arm - MetalCloak fender system - PSC steer - ATX beadlocks - Reid Racing Knuckles

ToddKaz

Post by ToddKaz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:02 pm

This is the same EGR flare on my CTD and you can see the width and such a little better in this photo. This is the "Rugged" style of the EGR. They also have a narrow OEM style as well as the larger "Pocket" style with the riveted look.
Attachments
IMG_0943 (2).JPG
2014 Laramie 3500 CTD - AEV Dual Sport - AEV Diff Covers - AEV Bumper 15k Warn - AEV Salta's - 37" Pro Comp MT2 - 4.10 ARB front/rear - HNC rear winch bumper
2016 Laramie 2500 Power Wagon - 4.88 - Leveling Kit - 37" STT Pro - Mopar Step - Transfer Flow Bed Tank
2016 Rubicon - 40" MT2 - 5.13 - Currie 60 Rear - Teraflex 44 Front - 10k Warn - Teraflex 6" long arm - MetalCloak fender system - PSC steer - ATX beadlocks - Reid Racing Knuckles

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:17 pm

ToddKaz wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:02 pm
This is the same EGR flare on my CTD and you can see the width and such a little better in this photo. This is the "Rugged" style of the EGR. They also have a narrow OEM style as well as the larger "Pocket" style with the riveted look.
Dayum, looks like quite a bit of fairly wet/packy snow for sure!!!

Be honest. Which rig do you enjoy more, your ctd or pw?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

ToddKaz

Post by ToddKaz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 pm

olyelr,

That is a good question.... They are both locked front and rear, both have been re-geared, both have 37" tires, both have winch's, both have Procal's and both are Laramie's.

I like the Cummins better from an engine stand point although I like the off road "feel" of the Power Wagon better with the lighter front.
I like the CTD for towing better (obviously) although I like the PW ride better due to the softer suspension.
I like the fact that the 6.4 in the PW takes no DEF although I like the extra range I get on trips due to the better mileage in the CTD.
I have driven both off road (mostly snow) and the PW is better, again due to lighter front and better weight distribution (camper shell as well as extra 35 gallon fuel tank in bed).
In deep snow I much prefer the AEV bumper/winch set up on the CTD to the stock location of the PW....in deep snow the PW winch just gets packed with snow...I can always get to it, just a pain sometimes.
I really like the looks of both of them and switch back and forth quite a bit so a tie there.
PW has the canopy/topper shell so it is my favorite when going to Costco for toilet paper and Kirkland Vodka.
I actually bought the PW with the intentions of doing the AEV XL kit with 40's and planned on running the 37's in the interim....I ended up not going that route because with 4.88's and 37" I felt it was a good combination for an all around truck and decide to do a JK on 40's for my "snow wheeling" rig.
So in the end, if I had to choose only one I believe it would be the 3500 with the Cummins based on my all around needs and travel habits. Remember though this truck is as close to a diesel Power Wagon as I could ever build, hell it even has one set of the PW's 4.10 gear set in it.

Thanks for the question!

Todd

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:29 pm

ToddKaz wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 pm
olyelr,

That is a good question.... They are both locked front and rear, both have been re-geared, both have 37" tires, both have winch's, both have Procal's and both are Laramie's.

I like the Cummins better from an engine stand point although I like the off road "feel" of the Power Wagon better with the lighter front.
I like the CTD for towing better (obviously) although I like the PW ride better due to the softer suspension.
I like the fact that the 6.4 in the PW takes no DEF although I like the extra range I get on trips due to the better mileage in the CTD.
I have driven both off road (mostly snow) and the PW is better, again due to lighter front and better weight distribution (camper shell as well as extra 35 gallon fuel tank in bed).
In deep snow I much prefer the AEV bumper/winch set up on the CTD to the stock location of the PW....in deep snow the PW winch just gets packed with snow...I can always get to it, just a pain sometimes.
I really like the looks of both of them and switch back and forth quite a bit so a tie there.
PW has the canopy/topper shell so it is my favorite when going to Costco for toilet paper and Kirkland Vodka.
I actually bought the PW with the intentions of doing the AEV XL kit with 40's and planned on running the 37's in the interim....I ended up not going that route because with 4.88's and 37" I felt it was a good combination for an all around truck and decide to do a JK on 40's for my "snow wheeling" rig.
So in the end, if I had to choose only one I believe it would be the 3500 with the Cummins based on my all around needs and travel habits. Remember though this truck is as close to a diesel Power Wagon as I could ever build, hell it even has one set of the PW's 4.10 gear set in it.

Thanks for the question!

Todd
Well thanks for the explanation! I had a feeling it would sound a lot like that.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:40 am

ToddKaz wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 pm
olyelr,

Thanks for the question!

Todd
I have similar opinions - but have kept stock size tires and gearing...
My '12 CTE doesn't take DEF - that's why i haven't upgraded - I may never upgrade to a DEF truck :poke:
I also get the same unloaded fuel mileage on my CTD and Power Wagon - so it's still cheaper on the highway with the Power Wagon since diesel is more expensive than gasoline here.
The Power Wagon tows nicely up to about 15,000 pounds - beyond that I'll use the CTD.
Off of pavement, the CTD front end is just too heavy unless you are on dry ground. :secret:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Hodgepodge
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hodgepodge » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Oredered some of the extension flares from eBay, they are the textured sandblasted black. I have a 16 black PowerWagon with the decals. Running 37” Toyo’s, anyone have these flare?
Hodgepodge, Klein, Texas
Retired USAF, Huntin/Fishin guide
Owner operator at HookinUpVeteran's
2016 RAM PowerWagon
37” Toyo Open Country MTs
Amp side steps

Hodgepodge
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hodgepodge » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm

I bought the Amazon EGR flares and thus far I’m liking them,I bought the sand-blasted black.
Attachments
17805A95-0AF2-4EEE-B672-D189B497BC03.jpeg
Hodgepodge, Klein, Texas
2016 RAM PowerWagon
Amp side steps

DocPaulo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by DocPaulo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Hodgepodge wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm
I bought the Amazon EGR flares and thus far I’m liking them,I bought the sand-blasted black.
Does it stick out too far with oem wheels?
14 Laramie PowerWagon Desert Brown
Black 17 PW wheels with Falken AT3W 315/70/17
DIABLOSPORT T1000 canned tunes
Auxbeam 42 curved lightbar
Firestone airbags with daystar cradles
Maghytec transmission pan, carli front diff armor, rock crusher rear diff cover
Diamondback tonneau with crossbin
RANCHO 9000XL suspension
EMF ball joints
WhiteKnuckle sliders (on order)

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 am

Hodgepodge wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm
It's not bad. But, could you post up a picture further back, showing the whole truck with them?

I have the factory flares and I'm running those same tires on the stock wheels, don't feel like they really stick out at all.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Here is my take on flares.... they are basically for looks only. If you like the look of them, great. But dont kid yourself, putting on wider flares will not make the side of your truck stay clean or no longer get rock chips... they just dont work like that. Been there done that. They will help with rock chips where they are covering metal, but that is really no more than the factory flares.

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:14 pm

olyelr wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 pm
Here is my take on flares.... they are basically for looks only. If you like the look of them, great. But dont kid yourself, putting on wider flares will not make the side of your truck stay clean or no longer get rock chips... they just dont work like that. Been there done that. They will help with rock chips where they are covering metal, but that is really no more than the factory flares.
Here is my take on flares... If they fall off your truck repeatedly even after being replaced under warranty several times, they belong in the trash! :evil:

But these trucks look funny without them in my opinion, especially with a wider offset wheel like my Walker’s. I’m waiting on a few more pieces before putting my new ones on and will have pics “soon.”

Though I agree they do very little to prevent damage, strictly an aesthetic touch. Speaking of things falling off my truck, just finished supergluing my Rambox panels back on for the 10th time or so... Adhesive tape sucks, and so does the engineer that designed these Ramboxes. :angry:
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Man your just having a shitshow of a time with your flares and rambox covers. Mine have been working just fine *knocking on wood*.

Hodgepodge
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hodgepodge » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:27 pm

I will post a pic from side and top tomorrow. The flares stick out a little further than the tires about an 1” or 2.
Hodgepodge, Klein, Texas
2016 RAM PowerWagon
Amp side steps

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Chromolykid wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:14 pm
olyelr wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 pm
Here is my take on flares... If they fall off your truck repeatedly even after being replaced under warranty several times, they belong in the trash! :evil:

But these trucks look funny without them in my opinion, especially with a wider offset wheel like my Walker’s. I’m waiting on a few more pieces before putting my new ones on and will have pics “soon.”

Though I agree they do very little to prevent damage, strictly an aesthetic touch. Speaking of things falling off my truck, just finished supergluing my Rambox panels back on for the 10th time or so... Adhesive tape sucks, and so does the engineer that designed these Ramboxes. :angry:
Here's my take on these flares: the reason the factory uses 3M tape is to prevent the flare from rubbing the paint off and exposing bare metal. If you buy replacement flares that do not have a double sided foam adhesive backing, you need to apply clear 3M tape to the body to keep the flares from rubbing. It doesn't matter if they have soft rubber trim pieces.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Here's my take on these flares: the reason the factory uses 3M tape is to prevent the flare from rubbing the paint off and exposing bare metal. If you buy replacement flares that do not have a double sided foam adhesive backing, you need to apply clear 3M tape to the body to keep the flares from rubbing. It doesn't matter if they have soft rubber trim pieces.
I can vouch for this. It will rub right through the paint in a hurry.

Chromolykid, when the flares come of our trucks what is under them? Is the paint rubbed away? I considered taking them off but I was worried about the paint being already screwed up with 15k miles on the truck.

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Yes, tape of some kind is a must under a standard flare. I understand why Ram chooses to use tape, but it doesn’t work well on their unpainted flares, not for long anyway. Go to a local dealership and look at any truck with black flares on and I bet you will find at least one starting to come off. My folks’ brand new Rebel has the same issue already (side note: their Ramboxes do not have the same issue because they are designed differently on 1500’s with retaining tabs in the upper corners). The painted flares don’t seem to be nearly as bad, but I hate that look personally. Either they’re mounted incorrectly (taped first and then bolted) from the factory and dealerships or they’re molded with too little tension to keep them tight against the body. Likely the first scenario, but if I don’t like the new ones I can re-tape the old ones and try a proper install to see how they hold up.

I haven’t taken my factory ones off yet, waiting on a couple more pieces to a bigger project that includes the flares. I highly doubt the factory ones will have left any rub marks with the tape. Not too concerned anyways because the new ones are bigger and could actually almost be bolted on over the existing flares. I’ll post pics soon.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

Hodgepodge
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hodgepodge » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Chromo, any new flares are going to be wider and bigger than the stock which will cover the small amount of 3M tape. The flares I put on the truck fit perfectly with the holes from my previous flares.
Hodgepodge, Klein, Texas
2016 RAM PowerWagon
Amp side steps

Hodgepodge
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hodgepodge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Here’s a photo from downtown.
Attachments
F3083C3F-34C6-4253-BA71-A52099CB041E.jpeg
Hodgepodge, Klein, Texas
2016 RAM PowerWagon
Amp side steps

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Finally got around to installing the flares after spending half a day removing the leftover tape on the truck. It was completely separated from the flares, but stuck pretty well to the body. Thank 3M for their eraser wheel, that thing is awesome. Anyways, here is the finished product. I'm usually not a fan of pocket flares, but can tolerate these for now. They cover the wider offset Walker wheels nicely. I ditched the gaudy giant chrome button head bolts the flares came with for coated stainless double hex aircraft nuts over black set screws to look a little less flashy and match the 12-point aircraft bolts in the grill. Putting 3M clear film strips under the flares was the most time consuming part, but worth it to save the paint. When I get tired of these I think I will try those EGR flares, they look nice.
Attachments
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1625.jpeg
IMG_1628.jpeg
IMG_1630.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg
IMG_1632.jpeg
IMG_1638.jpeg
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Came out nice, those wheels look great on your truck!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by scoutpappa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:05 pm

So fighting the dealership with my rambox covers as well. Did you end up pulling them and sticking them yourself? About to tell them to replace the whole f()*&king bed.

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:06 pm

scoutpappa wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:05 pm
So fighting the dealership with my rambox covers as well. Did you end up pulling them and sticking them yourself? About to tell them to replace the whole f()*&king bed.
You can pull them off yourself, but doing so without damaging the paint by bending the plastic is not easy, which is why the dealership just orders new ones and paints them. Their certified gorillas are almost guaranteed to ruin your factory covers. The problem with re-taping them yourself is the same as the flares, it’s not protected so water and dust gets in there and deteriorates the tape, again. I just gently pulled back the sections that had let go and squirted a bunch of super glue back there, they have held up great so far, much better than the tape ever did.

If I ever order another truck, it will not be with Ramboxes. Not unless they change the design significantly.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:55 pm

SikaFlex 252 might work a small miracle in this application. Seals great, maintains elasticity and is mind bogglingly strong. Comes in caulk tubes and McMaster carries it.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Chromolykid wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:06 pm

If I ever order another truck, it will not be with Ramboxes. Not unless they change the design significantly.
Man, I cant imagine life without ramboxes anymore...although, if I was having the problems you guys are having I may think differently.