Post by cb1987 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm

they should use the 275 magna steyr

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Thuren 3.0 KING on 2018 Powerwagon!

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 pm

No need, the Magna Steyr axles are beefy but heavy, expensive and have no aftermarket. The factory 9.25 AAMs are very strong hi-pinion axles. I have never heard someone break a shaft or gears (excluding pulling a heavy load in reverse). The downside is that the new CAD axles bend somewhat easy and ball joints are average. Few hundred bucks and a truss and those axles are good until the ball joints start groaning.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by cb1987 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:29 pm

you would think the new 9.25 would be plenty strong with all the extra ribbing and large tubes but i dont do extreme offroad so i wouldnt know. if ram put a smaller knuckle magna steyr in the 2500 im sure the aftermarket would catch up pretty fast.
if the 2500 capacity increases in 2020 like some rumors have said, then the current axles will probly go out the window anyways. atleast the front axle im sure. but ram likes shift on the fly so i wonder if they will ditch the cad and go back to a full time system. if its a badass truck ill have to trade in my '17 and be in debt another 10yrs

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:39 am

So all of this is a reason to put overlands on the truck and not kings to keep from the temptation of making "hold my beer" youtube videos..........

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 am

NickTF wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:39 am
So all of this is a reason to put overlands on the truck and not kings to keep from the temptation of making "hold my beer" youtube videos..........
The Kings are worth it. Trussing an axle isn’t that big of a deal, it’s straightforward fab work with a few details to pay attention to. It’s an insurance policy.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 pm
It's a solid front axle truck. No getting around that. If you bought a PW thinking it would handle and drive like a IFS truck (or your sports car) forget it. The solid front axle is very strong but it's heavy. With the right spring and shock combo it can deal with rough terrain and road conditions but you still have a 3/4 ton truck front and rear axle.

It's not a trophy truck...and will never be. I would like to try those 3.0 kings. Stage 4 front and rear would be perfect.

im concerned the 4 front would be too stiff a rest on the slow moving undulations and imperfections of south Florida roads and daily driving in crawling traffic through construction zones.

i will not use this truck as a trophy truck, but i guess i should state im looking for major improvement, but i dont expect this build to get close to a true trophy style fab build.. and im not comparing it to any of my past vehicle experiences.

but it should ride better and take more abuse then a stock raptor and be quieter then a trophy truck yes? "luxury" "prerunner" achieved...once the aftermarket truss and ball joints are added and modified.

clearly we could throw 50-100k at these trucks and actually make it a luxury prerunner. but ill keep it simple for now.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:51 am

You bought the wrong truck.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm

PWJouster wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 am
there is an entrance ramp to the highway that has an incline of about 10% that makes a sharp bank to the right to enter the highway 20 feet above grade.

this is 100% my testing and proving grounds.
i take this entrance ramp 5 days a week, typically free and clear road ahead. 10-20-30-40-45MPH easy. i say easy because i have balls of aluminum and a great sense of when vehicles are unsettled (track and offroad experience)

this entrance ramp is part of construction that will never end(i hope it wont before the install) and has terrible uneven pavement layers and patches and potholes.

the stock truck would get very unsettled at anything over 25MPH. the rear end would wag, and the steering wheel will turn lock to lock with the abruptness of flexing front axles and rear end squirm.(45 MPH and it feels like youve done a corkscrew on a rollercoaster) not everyone has experienced extreme steering wheel input from high speed axle articulation. I almost lost a couple fingers.

clearly this is only one of the many ride improvements ill be evaluating, but i believe it will lead to the biggest sense of overall control ive gained.

the stock goodyears would howl on this ramp and instill a sense of rear end slippage and sidewall flex, but the toyos at the same pressure have already improved the handling of this and helped the truck feel planted. GOODYEARS ARE NOT IDEAL
So, you're saying you are trying to take a construction onramp at like 80mph in your stock truck that is also a corner and wondering why it sucks? :popcorn:
PWJouster wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 am

im concerned the 4 front would be too stiff a rest on the slow moving undulations and imperfections of south Florida roads and daily driving in crawling traffic through construction zones.

i will not use this truck as a trophy truck, but i guess i should state im looking for major improvement, but i dont expect this build to get close to a true trophy style fab build.. and im not comparing it to any of my past vehicle experiences.

but it should ride better and take more abuse then a stock raptor and be quieter then a trophy truck yes? "luxury" "prerunner" achieved...once the aftermarket truss and ball joints are added and modified.

clearly we could throw 50-100k at these trucks and actually make it a luxury prerunner. but ill keep it simple for now.
I don't think I even have 12k in my truck yet.

Does anyone understand what he's trying to achieve here?
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Thurens valving is top notch. Two weekends ago I rode in a modified stage 3.5 truck through whoops at 70mph and it handled it no problem, and also rode very nicely over rough terrain at low speeds with the tires at street pressure.

A 3.0 shock is going to be softer on the little stuff and provide more force on the big hits, that’s why bigger shocks are used. They’re more comfortable and more capable. The achievable safe output force of a 3.0 is generally, roughly, twice that of a 2.5.

These trucks will never be trophy trucks because they weren’t designed from the ground up to be, but there’s a few trucks out there running some legit bed cage or cantilever setups and coilover/bypass shocks that will make you hoon! It depends on if you want bolt-on and budget or DIY and full party.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Does anyone understand what he's trying to achieve here?
Flail around and get a lot of attention?

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:41 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:17 pm
Thurens valving is top notch. Two weekends ago I rode in a modified stage 3.5 truck through whoops at 70mph and it handled it no problem, and also rode very nicely over rough terrain at low speeds with the tires at street pressure.

A 3.0 shock is going to be softer on the little stuff and provide more force on the big hits, that’s why bigger shocks are used. They’re more comfortable and more capable. The achievable safe output force of a 3.0 is generally, roughly, twice that of a 2.5.

These trucks will never be trophy trucks because they weren’t designed from the ground up to be, but there’s a few trucks out there running some legit bed cage or cantilever setups and coilover/bypass shocks that will make you hoon! It depends on if you want bolt-on and budget or DIY and full party.
Did someone say Hoon? Why yes, those are Kings.
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 pm

The bigger shock will help keep temps down, don’t think anybody that works for a living wants to push these trucks to the full valving potential of a 3.0. I’ll sell you a championship-winning racecar for that, along with a trailer and spares (for less than a new PW).

My order with Thuren next month will be 2.5’s, stage 1. Things last longer when you go slow, and you don’t spill your whiskey. :)

Slightly off-topic, but while waiting to order my shocks, I disconnected both sway bars. Night and day difference, like a whole different truck. Thuren front coils are stiff enough to prevent excessive body roll and the truck responds so much better to uneven freeways and dirt roads. I suspect I will have to put at least one link back in with the Kings, though. Maybe try this OP and see if it helps? I personally hate sway bars, have disconnected or removed them from everything I’ve owned unless I’m towing. Before anybody goes there... Yes, I know it’s dangerous, the internet said so. Luckily every time I’ve barrel rolled from changing lanes, I’ve landed on my tires.
Last edited by Chromolykid on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 pm

haha just tracking my build on forums and im flailing around for attention?

the way the stock truck handles this on ramp is my baseline. i want a baseline at varying speeds, so i have traversed this road section with varying degrees of speed, throttle application, mid apex braking and emergency braking and avoidance.
just so i know where it stands today.

did i say the stock truck sucked? or that im looking for trophy truck ride?
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm

this truck is not full party nor is it really bolt on budget.

just looking for an extremely capable and comfortable daily driver and weekend warrior. the caveat is i am an aggressive driver and beat on my daily's way more then most.

i was just jotting down data and ideas on my build, so if a person comes along with the same intent and can follow along for some explanations or experiences, or just my thoughts and outcomes, then they have gained a leg up on their own build.

i only ask for input, or outside experiences. I dont expect anyone to understand my use or ideas, but im not sure what problem you think im trying to solve. isnt it the same as everyone else? performance improvement, not the end all be all.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Chromolykid wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Slightly off-topic, but while waiting to order my shocks, I disconnected both sway bars. Night and day difference, like a whole different truck. Thuren front coils are stiff enough to prevent excessive body roll and the truck responds so much better to uneven freeways and dirt roads. I suspect I will have to put at least one link back in with the Kings, though. Maybe try this OP and see if it helps? I personally hate sway bars, have disconnected or removed them from everything I’ve owned unless I’m towing. Before anybody goes there... Yes, I know it’s dangerous, the internet said so. Luckily every time I’ve barrel rolled from changing lanes, I landed on my tires.
i am still in the middle of the road on sway bar.

going to install the entire suspension kit and evaluate my needs for sway bar and stabilizer upgrades after initial test drives.
i assume the rear can come off no problem, but the front will be a huge decision for me..still looking for a ride along in a thuren sway bar equipped ram in south florida. from what i read, i want it, from what ive been told, it may not work for me.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:29 pm

I didn’t clarify, I’m on stock sway bars. Just pulled a link out front and rear. Only takes a couple wrenches. I keep them in a Rambox and they can be put on in a couple minutes if need be.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:17 pm

It is night and day on that factory sway bar. I’ve disconnected the front too, and it smooths things out considerably. But only under certain conditions I felt. At speed on the highway I wanted it back on to reduce body roll.

It’s worth experimenting with it IMO.
-------
------

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:57 pm

I don’t have a newer truck to experiment with, but I’d wager a considerable sum that no rear swaybar and a torsion front would blow every other choice away in terms of comfort and offroad ability
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Colibri wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:57 pm
I don’t have a newer truck to experiment with, but I’d wager a considerable sum that no rear swaybar and a torsion front would blow every other choice away in terms of comfort and offroad ability
Depending on your shock valving it won't be safe at highway speeds with weight in the bed.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:48 pm

PWJouster wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 pm
..still looking for a ride along in a thuren sway bar equipped ram in south florida. from what i read, i want it, from what ive been told, it may not work for me.
What have you been told to indicate it may not work for you?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 pm
Colibri wrote:
Depending on your shock valving it won't be safe at highway speeds with weight in the bed.

Certainly a good point. Most of my thinking is directed towards offroad boogie time. With stage 4+ valving I think it would be tits though
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 am

olyelr wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:48 pm
PWJouster wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 pm
..still looking for a ride along in a thuren sway bar equipped ram in south florida. from what i read, i want it, from what ive been told, it may not work for me.
What have you been told to indicate it may not work for you?
my main concern is with my on road driving habits and my Girlfriend.
A. i do not like a girlfriend with a headache
B. i do not like a girlfriend with a headache
C. i give my girlfriend headaches when i drive

i think the thuren suspension ive spec'd with stock sway bar will be perfect for her.

a torsion bar would be perfect for me as body roll doesnt bother me and every minute i drive, i see race lights and checkered flags. i believe a torsion would allow you to better utilize your body weight and saying that, i know the onroad ride would improve substantially for highway and meandering drives, but she will feel the body weight in the turns, and this wont be good for the PW.

thats why i wish i could test it before i buy it. anyways...i need to evaluate the thuren tuned stage 3 3.0s and springs before i can decide.
maybe a stage 4 and torsion will be golden but..trial and error is ok.

body roll is my main concern. it may be unwarranted but i dont have the personal experience.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:15 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 pm
Colibri wrote:

THIS/\ I experimented with this, last year at Power Wagons in Moab. I removed the rear sway bar. The truck gets a little sketchy in the corners. I felt I was more planted in some areas and getting more flex out back.

I might do this again, maybe.... this year now that I have Thuren's King's with the 2 inches of extra travel.
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 pm

You should be talking with Don about your wants

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:56 pm

i know i need to start with a 3 front and 2 rear. i had some conversations with don and he says he has it handled..

i will just wait on the incoming order!

im confident i can service these shocks, and wont mind if i need to dig in to get it right.

id rather start soft and work my way up. including the fact my build will get heavier over time.... not lighter
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander