Winch rope

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: Winch rope

Post by KevinABQ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:35 pm

My first criteria is likelihood of being killed by my toys. My objective is to have the weakest link be the winch motor. Decent 15T WLL snatch blocks are stupidly expensive, so I do cut some corners there.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Shaved Ice wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm
I agree with DamageWagon. Also, my first criteria for almost everything I buy is durability. Cable is overall more durable than rope, so that is where I lose interest in the limited benefits of rope.
I think you mean abuse. No winch rope, wire or otherwise, is rate to pull around fixed objects. Further, if you make a practice of pulling around a tree, over a berm, or across a rock, you are more likely to have a catastrophic failure with the wire rope. How do you fix a wire rope with 10 or 15 broken razor sharp strands? You can just cut out the bad spot on a synthetic rope. I've had a bunch of wire ropes and I hated them every single time I got them out. The only caveat I would make is industrial, agricultural, and government applications where the replacement frequency is just to high with synthetic ropes to bear out their value.

You're welcome to do what you want but wire rope is scary and I avoid it whenever I can.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:18 pm

You pay for convenience, and it’s all a matter of perspective. I really do like that synthetic is hugely less likely to kill me, break my windshield, or otherwise make a bad day into a really really bad day. But there’s about 13 other things on the list above it due to the frequency-vs.-magnitude scale of what will make the most difference and how often it will make that difference.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Not to mention the fact that a rear winch would be more beneficial for most. If you get stuck with lockers, most people want to go back the way they came, not deeper into the stuff. I have often pondered a rear winch in the hitch set up. Portable, with a 350 amp Anderson Power Pole connector & a 6-8000 lb winch & snatchblock. But like everyone else, not that needed or high on the priority list.

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Shaved Ice » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:22 pm
Shaved Ice wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm
I agree with DamageWagon. Also, my first criteria for almost everything I buy is durability. Cable is overall more durable than rope, so that is where I lose interest in the limited benefits of rope.
I think you mean abuse. No winch rope, wire or otherwise, is rate to pull around fixed objects. Further, if you make a practice of pulling around a tree, over a berm, or across a rock, you are more likely to have a catastrophic failure with the wire rope. How do you fix a wire rope with 10 or 15 broken razor sharp strands? You can just cut out the bad spot on a synthetic rope. I've had a bunch of wire ropes and I hated them every single time I got them out. The only caveat I would make is industrial, agricultural, and government applications where the replacement frequency is just to high with synthetic ropes to bear out their value.

You're welcome to do what you want but wire rope is scary and I avoid it whenever I can.
Please don't change my words to fit your narrative. I used the word I meant to use: durability (synonyms: endurance, staying power, constancy, imperishability, lastingness, permanence), not abuse ( synonyms: misconduct, misuse, wrongdoing, fault, misapplication, mishandling, mismanage). I use my equipment properly.

I also inspect it and maintain it properly. I can easily spot frays and rust in cable and correct before there is a failure. I cannot easily inspect rope for dry rot, UV damage, chemical damage, internal damage before there is a failure.

I respect your preferences and priorities. Mine are just different.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)