Suspension question...again

If it's about Power Wagons, this is where it'll go.
DamageWagon
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Re: Suspension question...again

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:53 pm

This should generally answer your questions. The guys that spoke up in this thread know their shit.

http://dodgetrucksxtreme.com/index.php?topic=16483

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 am

MikeKey wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm
Time to truss that axle. :cheers:
Not yet! But it's definitely in the cards for it down the road. I don't plan to beat on it as hard as some of the DTX guys do (thats what my Ranger is for) but it's definitely hard to keep your foot out of it when you're in the dirt lol. The truss is cheap insurance though. Seems like some never need it, and others bend the front axles super easily. I guess its a good thing our front ends are a bit lighter than the Cummins guys!

olyelr » Thats exactly what I've done in the past, and its always worked out well! I love having a new set of tires under the truck when possible and knowing they're up to the task no matter what, and not worrying that they're getting cracked/low on tread/beat up etc., plus, I just like the smell of fresh tires! These tires will be on the truck exactly 1 yr in Feb. Lots of tread depth left, but they are starting to show some wear from being in the dirt/rocks. I'm going to try to keep them on a while longer and then go up to a real 37 soon as there's a good way to carry a full size spare available. :wink:

So I got home from work a bit early yesterday... I'd had a redbull and was feeling motivated. I got out the jack stands and started tearing down the front suspension. I took my time with tear down and install, cleaned up the frame and coil buckets a bit, and from start to finish it took me about 4hrs and 2 beers working solo in the driveway. The Carli 3" Hemi Coils are in, as are the Carli/King 2.5s, all that's left for the front end is to readjust the track bar and re-center the steering.

I think I got the pics sorted out...

Last edited by yellowranger1 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

DamageWagon
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 am

Get that skid plate in yet? Hahaha

The truss seems a lot more necessary on the 14+ trucks than the earlier trucks. The earlier trucks go tube-diff-tube, and that’s pretty much all that’s going to bend unless you hit really hard and then you can bend the upper ‘C’ of the knuckle. On the new trucks it’s tube-CAD-tube-diff-tube. There’s more joints in there AND you have stiffer bump stops for some reason. The new trucks bend much easier.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 am
Get that skid plate in yet? Hahaha

The truss seems a lot more necessary on the 14+ trucks than the earlier trucks. The earlier trucks go tube-diff-tube, and that’s pretty much all that’s going to bend unless you hit really hard and then you can bend the upper ‘C’ of the knuckle. On the new trucks it’s tube-CAD-tube-diff-tube. There’s more joints in there AND you have stiffer bump stops for some reason. The new trucks bend much easier.
Yeah man! Even posted some pics to my story on IG, I love it! Good point about the added joints in the new front ends... More potential points for failure.