Logic Check -- Airbags

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Logic Check -- Airbags

Post by ramv » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Ideally I will get to a 1.5" lift Thuren/King 2.5 kit. Since I bought the truck to be a truck, I would need airbags to go with the Thuren springs.

I have a good Viair compressor for tires, but was thinking a std duty remote controlled compressor to a) keep the air bags above 5 psi and b) encourage me to actually use them correctly. (I had front air bags on my Chevy, the slime compressor from Walmart was plenty to inflate, but my laziness limited the amount of times I actually adjusted, I mainly kept them at ~ 40 psi for the lift and increase compression dampening.)

I figure if I go with the compressor, I can skip the "ultimate" bags with the internal bump stop as the compressor can be set at 5 psi to keep the pressure up all the time.

Daystars seem to be a no brainer.

As far as I can tell the Firestones are similar Air lift 5000 and more expensive so it seems Airlfit is the way to go. (Hellwig aren't compatible with the daystars and have tire clearance concerns with wider tires)

Anything wrong with the plan?
Airbags.JPG
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Logic Check -- Airbags

Post by olyelr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Sounds good to me. But, why not spend a little more money for the ultimate kit with the internal bumpstops and then not have to leave any air in the bags? Is there a benefit to not having the bumpstop and in return having to keep a little air in them (other than a bit cheaper)?

I am eyeballing up that compressor kit, too. Damn it would be handy.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 pm

So the question is there an advantage to the bumpstop? I am huge proponent of air bumps, which I feel the air bags would be closer to (although relying on shocks for dampening) than the bumps on the Ultimate bags. (assuming pressure is retained).

I swapped bumpstops out on all my previous trucks and there is a lot of advatnages over the hard stock or aftermarket ones. I don't have a lot of data on the Air Lift but suspect at low speed the improved up travel would be preferential ?
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

israelstanage
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by israelstanage » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 pm

I went with Firestone bags because the guys selling them recommended them over the air lifts. Not sure there is much, or any, difference. You will love the remote controlled on board air. It's ballin.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Air bumps and air bags used as a bump cannot be compared, they're in different universes. An air bag with 5psi isn't going to do much if you bottom hard. The higher the pressure the more it helps and the more it hurts your ride. Air bags with internal bumps will give you the best ride while performing as a bump, but are more costly.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Why even get his coils for the rear man? Do the front, tell Don and keep the factory rears. Still works with the Kings, pretty much my setup.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:06 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm
Why even get his coils for the rear man? Do the front, tell Don and keep the factory rears. Still works with the Kings, pretty much my setup.
The only thing I can think is if they are indeed a little softer, maybe they ride a little better and function a little better (for empty DDing and unloaded off roading, anyway). Then, when it is time to tow or load up the bed, air up the bags....
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:23 pm

I'd love to test them, but if they're like the fronts, I bet they aren't actually softer. The other comment made to me was they are actually .75 shorter than the PW rear coils. I just recently added a rear spacer to solve my squat.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:03 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm
Air bumps and air bags used as a bump cannot be compared, they're in different universes. An air bag with 5psi isn't going to do much if you bottom hard. The higher the pressure the more it helps and the more it hurts your ride. Air bags with internal bumps will give you the best ride while performing as a bump, but are more costly.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Hence the need for the thread!

Thanks,

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Now to clarify further, and maybe this is a Toyota thing, but I have two friends with prerunner Tundras running the full Deaver or Camburg leaves out back, and they use their air bumps as air bags hahaha. So they bring all their camping gear or whatever and the truck says until it rides on the bumps and they call it good!

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:58 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:57 pm
Now to clarify further, and maybe this is a Toyota thing, but I have two friends with prerunner Tundras running the full Deaver or Camburg leaves out back, and they use their air bumps as air bags hahaha. So they bring all their camping gear or whatever and the truck says until it rides on the bumps and they call it good!
Awesome

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm
That's why i did the Airlifts with the internal bumps. Also, firestone put out something saying they weren't rated for daystar craddles.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.