Guys who've added light pods in rear bumper with ParkSense

If it's about Power Wagons, this is where it'll go.
S3Rc51

Guys who've added light pods in rear bumper with ParkSense

Post by S3Rc51 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 am

How did you do it? Did you have cut/extend the ParkSense wiring?? I want to do this on my truck ('17), hell I've already ran the wire when I did my OBA setup. The wiring for the sensors is almost guitar string tight, no play/slack between them what so ever. Seems like I might be able to carefully cut the loom off where the wires break out between the two sensors on either side to gain the needed slack. I don't want to cut and extended the wires just to gain an inch or two.

Just curious, how have others have gone about this?
2017 Power Wagon, Delivered 2/6/17
2005 Neon SRT-4 ACR
2005 Honda RC51
1978 International Scout Traveler
1973 International Scout II
2010 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Ultimate for the wife

13BlkPowerWagon
Model Year: 2013

Re: Guys who've added light pods in rear bumper with ParkSense

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm

I added 2 into the bumper, I'll try to get pics later. I had no issues with the parksense wiring at all. I cut the lights into the bumper just below the centerline, so they angle down a little bit (few degrees is all). The parksense wires fit right over the light housings, and since the LED's aren't on for long periods of time (a couple minutes at most if I'm unloading something, or as long as the truck is in reverse), I'm not worried about the heat on the parksense wires.

Not sure how you planned on wiring them, but I put them on a 3 way switch... Middle position is off, down position is on w/ reverse lights, and upper position is on all the time (relay is hooked to the battery). It works awesome, and tailgaters damn near hit the ditch if I flip them on after dark when they're following too close.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by olyelr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:56 pm

13BlkPowerWagon wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Not sure how you planned on wiring them, but I put them on a 3 way switch... Middle position is off, down position is on w/ reverse lights, and upper position is on all the time (relay is hooked to the battery). It works awesome, and tailgaters damn near hit the ditch if I flip them on after dark when they're following too close.
I love it :lol:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes
- A virgin, other than White Knuckle sliders... and lots of Fluid Film -

S3Rc51

Post by S3Rc51 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 pm

That's definitely a secondary reason for wanting them, tailgaters and people with high beams behind me (though in the full-size it doesn't really blind you so bad).

Might just be a factory fluke, or maybe the harness is just shorter in the newer rigs, idk, but my wires have zero slack, running center or just below center behind the bumper. Only easy way I see is to mount them towards the top, obviously I want them centered or close to it.

As far as the wiring, I decided that since I was unable to order the aux switches (retarded. This truck if any should be able to get them), the next best thing was the homelink buttons as far being a clean install, especially since thing is a far cry from fitting in the garage. I was able to source an aux PDC on eBay, but it unfortunately had all the external wiring cut and didn't come with the connectors.... literally all it came with was the aux PDC, relays and fuses, and the internal wiring between the bus bar, fuses, and relay constant power poles.

I bought a cheap 315mhz 4ch receiver (because I couldn't find a 3ch) w/remote on eBay. Wired that to trip the larger relays in the aux PDC since the ones in that receiver are super tiny/low amp. Pulled switched power from the cigar lighter fuse in the main PDC with a add-a-circuit, which is powering the 315mhz receiver and common lugs for it's relays. Wasn't so worried about leaving things on as I was about parasitic drain from that receiver. Short story long, after programming it to the homelink, button one now controls my front light bar, two will be the rear lights (which I already ran, wired it in when I built this whole harness), and 3 runs out of the 315mhz receiver to the pressure sender on my air tank, then back up to two separate relays in the aux PDC (one for each compressor). Everything is loomed and taped, to the untrained eye it looks pretty factory.

Works great, shuts off on power off. Even have the extra remote to turn the compressors on from outside the truck. Only bummer is that the truck doesn't turn on ACC/switched power under a remote start; would of been cool to be able to remotely start the truck and turn on the compressors.

I see the appeal of wiring it to the reverse lights. Considering maybe pulling power off of the trailer reverse lights and maybe some diodes to prevent back feeding current from one system to the other (my manual to the trailer wiring, or vice versa).
2005 Neon SRT-4 ACR
2005 Honda RC51

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Here's a pic of my light switches and my lights. Honestly, I'm extremely challenged when it comes to electrical work, so for $200 it was worth it to have somebody install them for me. I've never had an issue with the backup sensors since the install.
Attachments
Switches2.jpg
8.jpg
2012 Ram Power Wagon: http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires

S3Rc51

Post by S3Rc51 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:32 am

Looks clean. Seems like my harness was just made a little tighter or something. Hopefully I can get enough slack by splitting the loom, if not more drastic measures may in order lol
2005 Neon SRT-4 ACR
2005 Honda RC51