Steering Braces

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
DocPaulo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Steering Braces

Post by DocPaulo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:11 pm

Put this in last year and havent had any issues... didnt have issues before but i wanted to be proactive... hardest part of install was dropping the swaybars... those things are heavy and had to use a jack to line it back up
14 Laramie PowerWagon Desert Brown
Black 17 PW wheels with Falken AT3W 315/70/17
DIABLOSPORT T1000 canned tunes
Auxbeam 42 curved lightbar
Firestone airbags with daystar cradles
Maghytec transmission pan, carli front diff armor, rock crusher rear diff cover
Diamondback tonneau with crossbin
RANCHO 9000XL suspension
EMF ball joints
WhiteKnuckle sliders (on order)

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:27 pm

I was snapping sector shafts off my 06 power wagon's steering box after putting on 37"s. The 06' originally had the smaller steering box but I think rock crawling with our heavy trucks and lockers engaged is a risk to the larger box too. I have hydro assist, a steering brace attached to the drivers side only and of course the larger steering box. I also have the Dynatrac ball joints and free spin kit. The steering brace is a good first step with 37"s. I feel like the 2nd weak point is the tie rod end links. Dodge and a significant part of the aftermarket tend to upgrade the tie rod but not end links. I've beat up some tie rods but never bent one (knock on wood). End links however have also snapped in two for me.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Steering brace installed today. Everything lined right up after a bit o struggle with the smart bar. Even tightened up the steering some on a 2016. Very worth it!

FYI the main nut we had to remove was LOOSE. It's supposed to be torqued to like 185ft-lb and it was finger tight...
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Everyone I've ever heard of who's installed a steering brace said the pitman arm nut is loose. I torqued mine down good along with the draglink nuts when I first brought the truck home.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm
Everyone I've ever heard of who's installed a steering brace said the pitman arm nut is loose. I torqued mine down good along with the draglink nuts when I first brought the truck home.
Regardless of t being a new truck, this is a very good idea. It seems like everyone who checks has been verifying the drag link adjuster and pitman Arm nuts are poorly torqued form the factory.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 pm

On my 2nd gen, I retorque the pitman arm nut every time I drive it. Rock crawling loosens up a lot of parts quickly
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 pm

I drove my truck about 60 miles today. This steering brace is night and day improvement. Steering is so much firmer and smoother. Its far and away much more than i expected. If i woulda know itd be this good i woulda done it a year ago.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.