A/C blows hot and smells

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
2011TXPowerWagon
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2011

A/C blows hot and smells

Post by 2011TXPowerWagon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:21 pm

So all of a sudden my a/c started blowing only room temp air and it also has a funky smell to it now. I think it smells like a chemical smell and a buddy thought it reminded him of manure.... not sure what it could be. Anyone have any thoughts.....
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."

-George Bernard Shaw

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Re: A/C blows hot and smells

Post by JFordBronco » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:42 pm

I don't know if yours takes the strange antifreeze, but maybe you're smelling that too on top of not having working ac???
2015 Power Wagon

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Maybe you're suffering the same fate as me. It sounds like your evaporator core or its lines have a leak. The evaporator core is inside the dash behind the glove compartments. My cab smelled like AC refrigerant for a while and blows hot air, even on the lowest cool setting. I never turn my AC on so the pump doesn't run. I haven't replaced my evaporator and hoses yet, and I know the hoses failed due to my handling. Bumped them when pulling a valve cover and that's all it took to start leaking immediately.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:40 am

AC pumps have a low pressure cutoff. If your line pressure drops too low the compressor will not come on.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:07 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:40 am
AC pumps have a low pressure cutoff. If your line pressure drops too low the compressor will not come on.
If I turn my AC on I can hear air blowing through the broken lines very audibly, or at least it sounds like that is the case. It is a very obvious and somewhat smelly event. Definitely did not happen before the AC was broken. I've never let it run long enough to know if that is continuous or just a momentary thing, so if it does have a low pressure switch it's probably just cycling for a moment before it would shut itself off, were I to leave it on.

2011TXPowerWagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by 2011TXPowerWagon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:59 am

Finally able to take my truck to the dealership for the a/c service. Was diagnosed with a bad evaporator and blower motor (blower motor was changed about 2 1/2 years ago) to the tune of about $1400. I don't what it is about dodge's a/c but i have always had expensive problems with them.
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."

-George Bernard Shaw