power wagon went onto it's lid at Uwharrie

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: power wagon went onto it's lid at Uwharrie

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 am

Look at that Ford hitch... Who goes off-roading with a 6" drop tongue and ball still attached? :rofl:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

California_RAM

Post by California_RAM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 pm

This reminds me to look for an aftermarket front camera for the powerwagon. I'd like something with a small monitor that could clip to the dash while off-roading. We all know the rock crawling visibility is poor. You can hear how casual the conversation was. That drop was probably invisible for the driver.
2015 RAM Tradesman PW: White Knuckle Sliders, FAB FOURS premium bumpers front and rear, Magnaflow #19200 exhaust. K&N cold air intake.
Suspension: AEV 3" lift w/ OEM 2500 springs.
Tires: 37x12.5R17 Toyo Open Country R/T, mounted on AEV 8.5" wide Katla wheels. Corrected Ring and Pinion gears: 4.88 Yukon (front), and 4.88 AAM (rear). AEV differential covers (front + rear). Thuren XHD swaybar endlinks.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:17 pm

That slow motion ain't shit after you've flipped a challenger end over end.... hahaImage
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm

I remember that! :jawdrop:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Did you ever get that buffed out, Will?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 am

I wouldn't have an opinion if I hadn't gone car crushing a few times with the power wagon but the cabs on fords always seems to cave in much quicker than other makes. Drive onto a ford and the tires sink straight to the bottom of the trunk or floor boards. Do the same with a chevy and there will still be windows unbroken

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:24 pm

It was me that rolled. Swaybar was disconnected, lockers were engaged. The straight on outside video shows a lot quicker than actual speed, maybe something in how they edited??? Actual speed was like 2mph. Was definitely a dumb choice of line on my part. I was on the hard line and decided that it wasn't worthwhile to be risking damaging my truck so I backed down and went to transition to the easy line and didn't see that the drop from one to the other was as severe as it was. Bad mistake on my part. (Irony is, would have likely made the hard line fine just thought it was better to save my truck from damage by going easy line) Luckily other than my being sore for about a week or two neither my passenger nor I were hurt. Was able to drive the Wagon out under its own power after righting it and refilling the transmission as most of the fluid leaked out whilst it was on its lid. Insurance is covering it as a total loss. They did give me a buy back option but unfortunately it is at too high of a $$$ amount for me to be able to buy it back, fix it and buy a commuter car. (only way my wife would agree to my keeping a 4wd and continuing to go wheeling is if I buy a commuter car so that if I total a vehicle offroad I'll still have something to drive) I don't have the final numbers yet but, initially looks like a no go on buy back. I have what I consider to be a very cool idea for a build (regular cab swap and custom offroad flatbed) to make it even better for the kind of stuff I regularly did with it (trail work and event support) but, unfortunately, I just don't think I m going to have the funds for it. As it stands now it looks like I'll be buying an Accord as a daily and a K10 as an offroad rig unless insurance comes back with a lower buy back or somebody suddenly decides to partially sponsor a rebuild of my Power Wagon. I'd be sad to see it go, it was a great rig!!! I have been pricing the parts needed; I wish I had the financial wherewithal to rebuild it but, unfortunately I doubt I do.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:57 pm

That's sad. I really liked your sketch drawing of your plan
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:07 pm

I've got a free Honda Civic here for you if you drop a head gasket and radiator in it

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:26 pm

Looks like my guess was accurate. I have never rolled a rig, but is amazing how something just sneaks up on you like that. Hope you can get back into a PW again some day. Despite never rolling I actually lost a rig in 1992 due to a parking brake failure. Terrible feeling, but hard to get hurt when you are not in it.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:34 am

Dude, start a go fund me. I shit you not, I'll donate some cash for you to buy back. I bet a lot of guys would. And glad no one was hurt
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:44 am

Honestly, I have been able to buy back wrecks for total scrap value. It's only worth scrap, they should charge accordingly. Can it be put back on the road after repairs? If it's totalled, it's scrap. You need to tell them that. If they are going to charge you a lot of cash for the buy back, then it's not a total, it should be a salvage title. Don't let them fool you. It should be well under $1,000 for the buy back.

Also, who holds the title?

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:14 am

Glad to hear you're safe, Ram4roks. I was wondering when you would turn up to explain what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 am

Low_Sky wrote:Glad to hear you're safe, Ram4roks. I was wondering when you would turn up to explain what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:27 am

I dont know. Seems like insurance companies can get greedy with buy backs despite the fact they will never see that kind of money at auction.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 am

Buyback value is usually based on a bid from their salvage company. A late model truck with a soft roll over like that is likely going to bring a high $$$ bid unfortunately. The salvage company can make a killing on a unit like that.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am

Again, that's the difference between a salvage title and a totalled title. It all depends on what was stamped on the title.

John Adams - 1826

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Pit Slave wrote:Again, that's the difference between a salvage title and a totalled title. It all depends on what was stamped on the title.
I am guessing it would be high either way. Chances are they will not rebuild or sell it as a rebuildable unit. Let's say the salvor bid $10,000 on the wrecked truck. That's what the insurance comany will offer you as the buyback price. If you don't take it the salvage company will pay that and take the truck. Do the math on what they can make back once they break it down and put all of the good parts on the shelf cataloged and ready to sell.

Just the big things that immediately come to mine off of that truck:

Hemi engine, transmission, t-case, Power Wagon Axles, Smart Bar, wheels, complete interior with all the electronics and sound system, Smart Bar, ECM and complete wiring harness, airbags, etc.

There is a TON of money in salvage if you have the time, space and know how to break down, store and catalog the good stuff. Add up what you would pay for just the used parts I listed and you can see the salvage company would make money on a $10,000 bid on that truck. They would probably come out ahead at $15,000 or more. There is a lot more there that they would be able to use. It can be hard to compete with that when you want to buy it back.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:10 pm

TommyG wrote:There is a TON of money in salvage if you have the time, space and know how to break down, store and catalog the good stuff.
^ this ^

Really comes down to what your time is worth.
And how much space you have to deal with parts, shipping, etc.

With sleds/bikes, some stuff you'll sell real quick. Other stuff is highly seasonal (A-arms, for example, sell best in nov/dec when the early-season riders go out and smoke stumps/rocks). Some shit you'll sit on for years, some of it you'll sell for scrap.

I'd have been lucky to get $2k for my old 900, running. After the con rod bearing let go I parted it out, made about $4500 out of it.
Pro I was going to sell that spring, totalled it in march. $2500 buyback, almost two years later I'm finally seeing positive numbers from that buyback.

Helpful to track part, selling price, minus shipping price, and where/who bought it. Make notes for yourself if anyone's interested in a part.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Totalled, is current scrap value. Salvage, is what can be the total value of salvageable parts.

If it's a totalled title, you have first choice at receiving your truck back for the cost of the total weight in scrap value. You will have to press insurance company this fact in order to buy it back for that value. Been there, done that; my first job I had worked for an auto recycler. They will tell you it's worth 10k or 20k or whatever. Then you need to ask them is the title a salvage or total? What scrap yard in the country will pay an absurd amount of cash for scrap?! Top dollar will probably be 1k. Again a total loss means NOTHING is salvageable and is SCRAP VALUE. Put the pressure on the insurance company and let them know that you want to know what the scrap yard will pay for it and only offer that.

John Adams - 1826

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am

Just a question since there are many subscribed to this thread with experience...how should we insure our multiple thousands of dollars in modifications to the truck?

Will the adjuster take the mods into account or should we increase the insurance to cover them?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:Just a question since there are many subscribed to this thread with experience...how should we insure our multiple thousands of dollars in modifications to the truck?

Will the adjuster take the mods into account or should we increase the insurance to cover them?
When I switched to State Farm I was very explicit about this question. I told them I use the truck off-road frequently, they said it's covered - they insure the truck, not just on asphalt. It's not insured if it's used in a racing event.

I told them I've spent a lot of money on performance suspension and steering. And have a camper I built on it. They said that's all covered. I asked if I needed a rider added to the policy (like a mini-policy that is specific to the shocks, camper, etc.) and they said no. They did ask me the value of the parts but said it was below the threshold that would increase my premium.

They even said if I had recently bought tires and the truck was totaled they would pay me out for the full value of the tires as it was basically a new part.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:Just a question since there are many subscribed to this thread with experience...how should we insure our multiple thousands of dollars in modifications to the truck?

You need to have them listed and provide receipts; it's usually extra coverage. But these days, most will cover it since things like custom rims are commonplace.

Some providers will only offer a UP TO value, however. Something like $5000 or less.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Pit Slave wrote:Totalled, is current scrap value. Salvage, is what can be the total value of salvageable parts.

If it's a totalled title, you have first choice at receiving your truck back for the cost of the total weight in scrap value. You will have to press insurance company this fact in order to buy it back for that value. Been there, done that; my first job I had worked for an auto recycler. They will tell you it's worth 10k or 20k or whatever. Then you need to ask them is the title a salvage or total? What scrap yard in the country will pay an absurd amount of cash for scrap?! Top dollar will probably be 1k. Again a total loss means NOTHING is salvageable and is SCRAP VALUE. Put the pressure on the insurance company and let them know that you want to know what the scrap yard will pay for it and only offer that.

Every state is different. This is not what you will run into in most venues. Total fires or accidents like a semi hitting a Smart Car where there is nothing usable left typically go for scrap. Everything else is going to get salvaged. Not saying you can't talk them into giving it back to you for a low number if you push hard enough but it is not common practice.
2012 Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:49 pm

MikeKey wrote:

You need to have them listed and provide receipts; it's usually extra coverage. But these days, most will cover it since things like custom rims are commonplace.

Some providers will only offer a UP TO value, however. Something like $5000 or less.
Insurance is regulated state by state and I'm not familiar with the intricacies of every state but I used to own an insurance agency and what you describe was not my experience with any major carrier. I am also not aware of any carrier that excludes offroad use other than closed circuit racing. I could not have scheduled accessories or create riders for modifications even if I wanted to and that was with the big companies. I'm not saying you're wrong but in the western states what you're describing would be the exception, not the standard. I can also say that I totalled a motorcycle and the insurance company paid me replacement value for the accessories and mods which were greater than the value of the bike (the adjuster tried not to, but insurance companies try not to pay you as a standard practice).

As always, read your declarations page to verify any exclusions.