Thuren Overland System (1.5" lift)

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
IIIOIISTER
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Thuren Overland System (1.5" lift)

Post by IIIOIISTER » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:19 pm

Was unable to find a whole lot of threads on a complete Overland System so I figured I start this one.

Currently have a '17 PW. Finally decided to pull the trigger on a full kit and was wondering if anyone here have first hand experience that can compare and contrast the OEM PW setup (coils and shocks) with the Overland System (non-extreme version). Below is what the kit comes with:

-Thuren front soft-rate coil spring pair. 1.5" lift.
-Thuren Heavy duty front Track Bar.
-Thuren rear soft-rate coil spring pair.
-Thuren rear HD sway bar link pair.
-Thuren Overland front shock pair.
-Thuren Overland rear shock pair.
-Stainless steel emergency brake frame bracket.

Planning on using the Overland System as a test bed before I make bigger decisions in the future on shock upgrades (2.0, 2.5 Kings or Fox). Right now I do 70% of driving on pavement and 30% off road. Any input would be appreciated, thank you.
'17 Power Wagon
35" Yokohama Geolander G003
Carli
-King 2.5 Pintop
-3” coils
-Front diff cover
Thuren
-Rear track bar
-Rear sway bar links
-King steering damper

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Thuren Overland System (1.5" lift)

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:15 pm

If you're honestly running 30% of your miles offroad (which is a LOT that very few people can say), just get the Kings. Thuren is the dude to go with. I would say you're wasting your money if you want to make a test bed and upgrade later, just get Kings and you'll never regret it. You can wait on every other part of you want. Entirely depends on what you need to do with the truck. If you need a truck you might want to keep the rest springs stock. Front Trackbar is really not bad on your year of truck.

Above all, talking with Don (Thuren) directly will net you a heck of a lot better answers than anyone else can.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:23 pm

I agree but would keep the stock front trackbar and replace The rear on a 2017. I'm running both front and rear trackbars. You won't notice any difference as the stock front trackbar is lengthened on a powerwagon and stout with good bushings. The rear with it's enhanced geometry corrects the roll center issue these trucks have stock.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IIIOIISTER
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by IIIOIISTER » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:03 pm

That's good to know about the stock front track bar; money back in my pocket that I can invest toward a steering damper. Will definitely look into getting a rear track bar though. And ya I was definitely a little over enthusiastic about my off road times; it's more like 10-15% of time instead of 30%.
'17 Power Wagon
35" Yokohama Geolander G003
Carli
-King 2.5 Pintop
-3” coils
-Front diff cover
Thuren
-Rear track bar
-Rear sway bar links
-King steering damper

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Yeah I'd suggest Thurens king damper. I run that one too and haven't regretted the money spent.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:44 pm

IIIOIISTER wrote: -Thuren front soft-rate coil spring pair. 1.5" lift.
-Thuren Heavy duty front Track Bar.
-Thuren rear soft-rate coil spring pair.
-Thuren rear HD sway bar link pair.
-Thuren Overland front shock pair.
-Thuren Overland rear shock pair.
-Stainless steel emergency brake frame bracket.

Planning on using the Overland System as a test bed before I make bigger decisions in the future on shock upgrades (2.0, 2.5 Kings or Fox). Right now I do 70% of driving on pavement and 30% off road. Any input would be appreciated, thank you.
If you do any towing or load up any amount of gear, DO NOT get the rear coil springs. They are even softer than the PW springs which are already pretty soft.

I'm not even sure why you think you need HD swaybar links. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IIIOIISTER wrote:money back in my pocket that I can invest toward a steering damper. Will definitely look into getting a rear track bar though. And ya I was definitely a little over enthusiastic about my off road times; it's more like 10-15% of time instead of 30%.
If you are running Toyo tires, I would NOT invest in his King steering damper. I just bought one, and it pushes so hard I was fighting the truck. I removed it and suddenly the truck is back to driving straight. If you have a tire that pulls to the driver side, then you can get it. But if you have a tire that pulls right, then DO NOT buy it. Usually only MT's have built in pull.

Going, to be honest, this looks ham fisted picking without understanding how the parts affect suspension.

If you aren't sure, and don't want to drop money on the Kings right now a better setup might look like this,

Thuren Front coils 1.5
Overland Shocks
Thuren Rear Track Bar
Boogie Bumps
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:12 am

I have thuren`s Overland on the front of my 16 Tradesman, with 37s, Ridge Grapplers, Stock Rear suspension. The ride is nice, its not light years ahead of stock, and when I go off road on rocky rutted trails here in AZ it is still rough. I know tire air pressure has a lot to do with it, and I believe Kings will help this immensely.

I am going to add his rear Track bar system, and Kings at some point. If you read his descriptions on his site, his rear springs provide more down travel than stock, (maybe just for a diesel ?), but his longer rear sway bar links are for this reason. I also like that they have the rear sway bar ends level at static, as apposed to stock which has the ends tilted up.

I was also going to try his King Dampener, I know he said it can be adjusted if it has a negative affect on steering pull. My Ridge Grapplers dont have a pull either way like I know the M/T Toyos are supposed to have.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of Thurens stuff, but everything I have read and heard tells me the magic sauce to it all are Kings !!
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:26 pm

I also had a right hand pull after installing the 1.5'' springs. It didn't occur with the .5'' springs nor with stock springs. Same tires. I removed the king damper and it had no effect on the right hand pull but I did get my first taste of what I'd articulate as death wobble. Nothing nice. I've dialed out the right hand pull for the most part but I'm guessing the change of front end geometry with the 1.5'' springs may be the culprit. I say that because my truck drives straight as an arrow. I mean I don't even have to put my hand on the wheel then at around 60mph it starts slightly drifting to the right like I need to adjust every 1/8 mile. I'd call that a radial pull or steering issue.

I'm on week SEVEN waiting for my Thuren King's but once they are installed I will hunt and kill it

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm ending week 6 waiting for my kings too....
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: Thuren Overland System (1.5

Post by RustyPW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:I also had a right hand pull after installing the 1.5'' springs. It didn't occur with the .5'' springs nor with stock springs. Same tires. I removed the king damper and it had no effect on the right hand pull but I did get my first taste of what I'd articulate as death wobble. Nothing nice. I've dialed out the right hand pull for the most part but I'm guessing the change of front end geometry with the 1.5'' springs may be the culprit. I say that because my truck drives straight as an arrow. I mean I don't even have to put my hand on the wheel then at around 60mph it starts slightly drifting to the right like I need to adjust every 1/8 mile. I'd call that a radial pull or steering issue.

I'm on week SEVEN waiting for my Thuren King's but once they are installed I will hunt and kill it

Some people had the same pull issues with the Carli dampener too. What they did was to release a little pressure at a time from the dampener until the pull was gone. Something like 5 lbs at a time. You could try that.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43 am

@nts007- Well alright, I guess we'll be celebrating their arrival right around the same time!

@rustypw- I've heard you can do that but it said it had the minimum 100psi charge so I'm apprehensive about it. Once the shocks are on I'll straighten it out. It's really not bothering me at the moment, just a slight pull and only at speed.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:01 am

RustyPW wrote:
Some people had the same pull issues with the Carli dampener too. What they did was to release a little pressure at a time from the dampener until the pull was gone. Something like 5 lbs at a time. You could try that.

I was told directly by Thuren to under no circumstances release pressure from the unit. They are only pressurized to 100lbs. Most of the time you need to add pressure. Any less and it's ruined.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks for confirming the minimum damper psi mikekey. That's what I thought. I won't mess with mine.

Gtop

Post by Gtop » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:48 am

Will the front axle be off centered if the factory Track bar is used with the 1 1/2 inch springs?

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:19 am

I believe the Stock Power wagon Front Track Bar is longer from the factory, and the same length as Thurens Bar. 39-9/16 inches or something like that. Thuren`s is at the max length you want to go before you have interference with the coil bucket. I switched mine out when I did the coils. side by side comparison made me glad I did. The stock one is fine for a number of miles. I believe Thuren says 20K ish or so its a good time to replace......
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:20 am

and in answer to your question , I believe it will be off center a little, with either, but not really that noticeable at all.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Yes, really the only way to recenter it is with an adjustable track bar AND bumpstop extensions, otherwise you risk contacting suspension parts during full compression.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:29 pm

MikeKey wrote:
RustyPW wrote:

I was told directly by Thuren to under no circumstances release pressure from the unit. They are only pressurized to 100lbs. Most of the time you need to add pressure. Any less and it's ruined.
Ace told me his Carli had something like 200 psi. And he let some pressure out to get it from pulling to the left. Think he said he ended up around 120~125 psi. He also said that Carli told him to release some pressure too.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: