Any Ordering Advice

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Any Ordering Advice

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 am

Thinking about placing an order this weekend as my Mortgage finally closes today. Pretty much planning on fully loaded including the dual alternator option for the winch.......
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: Any Ordering Advice

Post by coder » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 am

Hello FordyceCreekTrail,

My preferred options are Cloth Power Bench Seat w/Emboss Tread Pattern, 220-Amp Alternator (duals are way over kill), Spray-In Bedliner, Luxury Group, Power Wagon Badging Delete, Rear Window Defroster and Uconnect 8.4, this is my list if I were to order today.

It's not all the bells and whistles but everything that is useful IMO. Also a full set of five 35x12.5x17 Toyo RT's standing by ready to install.

Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Remote start. Cooled seats if your trim has it. Bed liner.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:36 pm

The Spray in Bedliner is a great value if you're actually going to use it as a truck.

Ramboxes have a hefty price tag, but if you haul a lots of crap with you everywhere then they are worth it.

I split for the NAV option - but find that I have only used it a couple of times (and I didn't really need it).

I also split for the block heater - but don't use that either - truck starts fine at -25 F without it. (you are in Northern CA?)

You won't need the dual alternators unless you have a very special requirement (more than just the winch). But do get the 220 amp alternator.

And I see that they now offer nerf bars - If you plan to spend a significant amount of time on the trails off-road, skip the nerf bars and plan for White Knuckle sliders.

:cheers:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:09 pm

I detest cloth. It just doesn't last and clean as nice as leather. Cloth absorbs the nasty stuff in life. Get the 220 alt or duals for sure. I could go either way on the NAV. Sometimes use my phone but on long trips i run both NAVs and i like it. Especially when I'm towing my RV and don't have room for error. Spray in bedliner is great as are the RAMboxes. With the truck height and lighter springs what you loose with the RAMboxes you won't miss.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:51 pm

As you can see from the posts above, your going to get many different opinions. Some people want leather, some people want cloth. Some want people have to have a sunroof, others wouldn't own a truck with one. Just order what YOU want out of the truck.

Maybe better questions to ask...

What has everyone regretted getting on their order ticket? What options would you have to order up again?

Or are those basically the same damn question?

I found a truck on a lot one state away that was basically the exact truck I was going to order, minus dual alternators and tow mirrors. I snagged it up and added the mirrors. Haven't done the dual alternator upgrade yet, but honestly I dont need it. But, being the fact that it is available, I WANT IT (for those "just in case" moments). I cant think of one reason to not go with the dual alternators when ordering (I mean, is there actually a downfall to having two?). If you are not a topper kind of guy then get the ramboxes for sure... they are so frickin handy... beats the hell out of a bed mounted toolbox.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Lots of experience with winches and stock alternators will NOT properly run one. You need an extra battery or more alternator. I could go 220, but was thinking stuck up to the doors winching for a long time duals would kick but and keep the winch spooling. Down fall is some added weight(while 220 adds none) and probably some gas mileage effect from have another device hooked to the engine.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:27 pm

After a stimulating 5 hrs at a stealership(while sick) I have a contract on a PW. As usual they were desperate not to order one. They found in in Old Mexico at the factory and I tried to convince them that no dealer would order such a well appointed wagon with such a cool color. And as I entered financing they finally called back, it was a customer order. Then it was like, what else will you take? NO way, not settling for a 57,000.00 purchase, but if it will be a problem lets order an Omaha Orange! "Please sir no, please no.....let us go back to work" So they found one in Potato land up in Idaho somewhere with pretty much all I wanted and a bunch of other stupid junk like rails, engine heater, DOT flare kit,(OMG) Now THAT is a proper loaded dealer order.(did not know anti pigeon sonics were even an option) It has EVERYTHING. It does have dual alternators unlike my first choice with the 220. Apparently many have figured out 136AMP is not going to run a winch under load. Will found out Monday when it will be here, but if there are any kinks it will become a 2018 order and a long wait. Sounds like they ran the 2017 line a little longer and maybe sold a few PW this year.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Awesome ! Congrats ! Dual alt's should be mandatory on all PW's.

Mine started as an SLT. So it started pretty well loaded up. I ordered it with auto trans delete option, engine block heater, Leather, tow mirrors. I made them throw in a cheap Mopar plastic bediner . I wanted one that I could slide stuff on, to make it easier to load/unload by myself. I am still happy with every option I got. It has no nav, no On-Star. My phone does come over the speakers if someone calls me, whatever that's called & I don't even like that.I have a gazillion songs on my phone. I just plug it in the aux jack & I got music. I like that.

The new 4Runner is visually daunting for me. Gudamn thing talks to me & I DEFINITELY don't like that. Should have a voice controlled "just shut the fuck up" option. My wife is constantly fucking with the dash while I'm driving. I don't like that either. My phone instantly couples & my music starts as soon as I get in. I do like that.

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by Chubbs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:53 am

I just started working with dealerships for my order. One thing I noticed is the Leather and Luxury package doesn't list Park Sense in the 2018. I do not know if this is a website issue, or if Ram no longer includes it in the package. I've never had a vehicle with it, so I do not know if it is worth paying for.

Regardless, I have some time to figure it out. I am not looking to take delivery until at least January.

Chubbs
2018 Power Wagon
Bright Silver, Dual Alternators, Leather and Luxury, Ram Boxes

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:36 am

I only get a new truck every 12 years or so. So I go for the loaded option. Why sacrifice a few thousand dollars for 12 years worth of ownership? Not to mention the PW is not all that Technologically advanced, so about the time in 2019 or whenever the new model comes out ours will be seriously dated anyways. For such a big truck the parking sensors are handy. Maybe less so with the back up camera, but frankly I find back up cameras a little disorienting and mostly use my mirrors anyways. As far as Infotainment, that is a MANDATORY selection of the luxury package. The Un-connect 4.2 is rated as one of the worst in the industry, but the 8.4 is rated excellent. My wife's 4 runner never seems like a problem, but we have never tried the voice controls and it looks like they get terrible reviews. You cannot enter a destination with out stopping which drives us insane though on long trips.

My order actually shows no large, center LCD gauge cluster, but yet every box is checked so we are pretty sure it will have it. I am happy about the duals. That is 380 Amps, enough to cover LIGHT DUTY winching such all the Thelma and Louise drivers in the Mountains where I live. HOWEVER, a Warn 12K can max out somewhere between 440-500 Amps under full load! Ie: 33"-37" tires, 7500lb truck buried or severely high centered. At this point the 220Amp option looks pretty inadequate as well, mostly due to the size and weight of the truck. Stock is 136 AMP, so leave the cable on the spool! My 1996 Montero is happy with a 10k winch and 220Amp winching all day for comparison. (at least if I had not snapped the rope on Swamp Lake trail last year) That power deficiency over heats the winch, hurts the battery, over works the alternators and wiring. The other thing I like is at idle power production, for say charging up the battery after a fridge drained your battery sitting at camp a few days. Wont have to idle as long. Then how about some big light bars while winching at night?

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:59 am

Not all that technologically advanced? Don't let the true 4wd fool you, these trucks are loaded with tech from the canbus system to remote start, parking sensors, cameras, remote monitoring. Wires, sensors and plugs running everywhere underneath. Much more than my 2012 model.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:37 am

I think you will be happy with your choices. Yeah, as stated by others, like it or not, new PW's are full of technology, even a stripped down one. The one guy I let work on my truck said it's awesome that they still have a lever on the floor for the t-case. I told him, you may think that at first but it is still electronically controlled, even though it has a lever on the floor. TCPS (transfer case position sensor) & if that goes bad, the computer will not let the lockers engage. So, even our 3rd Gens have electronic technology that can leave you stranded.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 am

Been watching some videos and learning. As far as t case lever, never had any problem on my Titan, but that being said a stick looks better and is more comforting from a reliability stand point. Things like self driving tech that the Raptor has would be nice, 360 degree cameras, upfitter swtiches, AWD mode....I imagine the next one will have all that. While electronics are reliable in today's age, it is true it takes time to figure them out. 50% or more of Infotainment systems are still considered useless for example, and many times unreliable. Took Chevy 20+ years to get an electronic t case shifter to work AT ALL. So there is something to be said for sticking with older, more reliable tech for a time. Toyota trucks are similar in that respect.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Probably should have just called the dealer in Idaho yourself. Dennis Dillon gave me $13k off MSRP.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Just wait when they ditch the 12v system for the 48v system. :shock:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:16 pm

RustyPW wrote:Just wait when they ditch the 12v system for the 48v system. :shock:
Doom and gloom

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 am

DamageWagon wrote:
RustyPW wrote:Just wait when they ditch the 12v system for the 48v system. :shock:
Doom and gloom
http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need ... 1790364465
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:57 am

That's like saying that the 5-volt system that controls almost every sensor in the truck is going to make it impossible to make aftermarket accessories. Those systems won't have anything to do with normal functions. And realistically those systems are awesome. Way better brakes, fuel economy and acceleration all come from a KERS system.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:55 am

13K off MSRP! Damn guess I should of. With incentives and negotiating a little I ended at about 6500.00 off MSRP. Think I would have gotten that deal on a Raptor? :lol: I think there are some exciting possibilities for an electric or hydrogen off road rig.( can you imagine the torque or actually not having fuel be such a costly part of the sport?) However the lack of charging stations on the Rubicon, Hole N The Rock and so on could be a problem. Hydrogen would be cool, but how do you carry a Jerry can full of Hydrogen?

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:After a stimulating 5 hrs at a stealership(while sick) I have a contract on a PW. As usual they were desperate not to order one. They found in in Old Mexico at the factory and I tried to convince them that no dealer would order such a well appointed wagon with such a cool color. And as I entered financing they finally called back, it was a customer order. Then it was like, what else will you take? NO way, not settling for a 57,000.00 purchase, but if it will be a problem lets order an Omaha Orange! "Please sir no, please no.....let us go back to work" So they found one in Potato land up in Idaho somewhere with pretty much all I wanted and a bunch of other stupid junk like rails, engine heater, DOT flare kit,(OMG) Now THAT is a proper loaded dealer order.(did not know anti pigeon sonics were even an option) It has EVERYTHING. It does have dual alternators unlike my first choice with the 220. Apparently many have figured out 136AMP is not going to run a winch under load. Will found out Monday when it will be here, but if there are any kinks it will become a 2018 order and a long wait. Sounds like they ran the 2017 line a little longer and maybe sold a few PW this year.

That is awesome man! Congrats. Im STILL waiting on our house to be finished and when it is...Im on my way to a dealership as soon as we close. Yes, they have been selling a lot of PWs this year. Ive been following the selection within 500 miles of me for months. But now they are discounting the hell out of them. Fully loaded PWs with $10k off is pretty standard in my area for the past few months. BUT I CANT GET ONE YET!!!!!! :angry:
Oh well, the 18s are showing up and Im kinda glad that Ill be getting an 18 for the simple reason of getting the next gen Uconnect 8.4 4C with Apple car play. :rockon:
The alternator is kind of a big deal to me but I just dont want to order if I dont have to. WAY TOO impatient :doh:

Enjoy brother!

OH and Im still on the fence about RamBoxes, every time I warm up to the idea, I go and haul yet another load where I have to use the "useless" space in front of, behind and on top of the fenders. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1341.JPG
2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon :rockon:
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE7

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:Been watching some videos and learning. As far as t case lever, never had any problem on my Titan, but that being said a stick looks better and is more comforting from a reliability stand point. Things like self driving tech that the Raptor has would be nice, 360 degree cameras, upfitter swtiches, AWD mode....I imagine the next one will have all that. While electronics are reliable in today's age, it is true it takes time to figure them out. 50% or more of Infotainment systems are still considered useless for example, and many times unreliable. Took Chevy 20+ years to get an electronic t case shifter to work AT ALL. So there is something to be said for sticking with older, more reliable tech for a time. Toyota trucks are similar in that respect.
We have 360 degree cams on my wife's Discovery Sport. They are neat at first but quickly become frivolous IMO...although my wife still uses them..women drivers :wink: .....They might could be handy in a big PW though...even for us men :roll: HOWEVER, I love the fact that I can switch on any cam at any speed...namely the front cam when off roading. Its even handy for a little vehicle like her Disco when we go on a trail. So as soon as someone comes up with the lock pick for the next gen 4C, Im adding a front cam. No question about it for me. Ive seen videos of a front cam on a 2500 and it is nifty.

If you think a Rapturd is nice wait for the Rebel TRX. Even still...I want a Power Wagon.
Last edited by Ramajama on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon :rockon:
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE7

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:Lots of experience with winches and stock alternators will NOT properly run one. You need an extra battery or more alternator. I could go 220, but was thinking stuck up to the doors winching for a long time duals would kick but and keep the winch spooling. Down fall is some added weight(while 220 adds none) and probably some gas mileage effect from have another device hooked to the engine.

??

I run dual winches off my stock single alternator (190 amp) on my Gen 2 and POS Optima (stock Lead acid was much stronger.). I have done multiple recoveries using both winches and literally hundreds with the the front XP 9.5.

I used the dual winches to pull my buddy up Carnage Canyon's exit in his K30 on 44s" no winch with a broken front driveshaft. It's nearly a 100' vertical over massive rocks. 1500 rpm was all it took. Again, this was with a red top Optima which is complete garbage compared to a stock lead acid (but doesn't leak acid all over the place when you are upside down, the only selling point I am aware of.) I have a Yellow top now (second worse battery ever, next to the red top) and have never needed more alternator than the stock second gen.

Welding, we use dual batteries, but still one alternator is more than enough to charge them back up
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am

Well no word from the dealer, called yesterday and no call back. So it begins...I am ok with a 2018 as well. Never hurts to have the latest model, but it sounds like a long wait at this point. Just want a straight answer at this point.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:23 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:Well no word from the dealer, called yesterday and no call back. So it begins...I am ok with a 2018 as well. Never hurts to have the latest model, but it sounds like a long wait at this point. Just want a straight answer at this point.
Since this is a an "Ordering Advice" thread and you're getting the dealer run around here is some free advice. I mapped dealer advertised discounts for two years on the west coast to figure out when the best time to buy a RAM. You are buying at the worst time (low inventory, beginning of new model year shipments, higher demand, reduced incentives). If you hold back for another three to six months you will hit the bottom of the selling year. The lowest prices are between February to June. If you can't wait here is a link to DD's current Power Wagon inventory. Either contact DD or use it against your dealer. DD will order you a truck at the same discount level if you want. You can check Dave Smith also. Search for "22P", that is the trim designation.

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodg ... nteracted=