Replacing Rear Locker Actuator

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Replacing Rear Locker Actuator

Post by coder » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm

After the first sign of problems last December (orginal thread below) time to finally replace the rear locker actuator can't even drive a few miles without the locker light flashing. Tried to be a frugal as possible, dealer price is in the thousands, got the part online for $345 and found a local shop to install it for $250 having it done this Friday.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=2&t=4533
Attachments
rear locker actuator.jpg
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: Replacing Rear Locker Actuator

Post by chrisjameswagner » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Mine replaced at 45K miles on a 2012. Thankfully under warranty - $4500 from dealer.
2012 - Aluminess sliders, Century High C Shell, Wilderness Rack, Rigid D2's on front bar, sleeping and storage platform, Carli High Clearance Arms, springs, control arm, track bar, Bilstein 7100's, Day star rear shackles, 35" Cooper ST MAXX., Front bumper and under carriage camera set up

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 am

I had the one in my 07 replaced by the dealer and it was around $900 total, but that was some years ago. IIRC there is a bearing that has to be replaced also as I think it gets destroyed in the process. I don't really remember.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:18 pm

waldo wrote:IIRC there is a bearing that has to be replaced also as I think it gets destroyed in the process. I don't really remember.
The owner of the shop told me they will check the carrier bearings when they pull the differential out and replace them if needed it will add another $200 so I'm hoping they're fine.

One thing that surprised me, they said they will only use 80w-90 conventional gear oil or they won't warranty the parts, apparently many other shops do the same thing. The rationale is they are seeing a lot more gear/bearing failures than they used to and in their words "the axles are the same only the oil has changed".

I'm not sure I agree that it's the fault of the synthetic oil, it comes in every type of vehicle and has for many years. I think it's cheaply made overseas parts, what do you guys think of this?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:11 pm

I think what they said is correct. I also think it is a combination of the 2. The E.P.A. are some shady sumbitches. Everytime the little guy starts making out, they get involved. Engine oil technology has gone backwards. The auto manufactures & their lobbyists start complaining. We ain't selling as many cars because they are now lasting 300,000+ miles. Boom, then the EPA says these 5 chemicals are no good & we have to reduce them. Zinc & phosphorus being 2 of the 5. They reduce friction & keep the engine from gunking up inside.

People are also towing heavier & you also have diesel pickups putting down 1000+ ft lbs of torque. All these things combined & I can understand why.
My next diff oil is gonna be either Amsoil Severe Gear 110, or Lubrication Engineers 1605 DUOLEC 110. Hard to argue with temp readings in a rear diff. If one oil runs cooler than another, it's because there is less friction, period.

Here is a good read. The LE Duolec ran 10*F cooler than the Amsoil. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/trans ... wing-axle/

I think my rear locker actuator failed as a result of high diff temps while towing. Not sure what else I can do, short of adding a pump & finned cooler ? I am running a Mag-Hytec cover. It increased the oil capacity from 3, to 6 qts. The temp of my diff while towing our camper did not change at all. It is still around 170-177*F @ 60 mph.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:23 am

Hey BLM, do you have a recommendation for oil in the 10.5 diff? My 2011 seems to get that rear diff pretty hot just running down the highway. My locker light came on last time I drove it and the diff was very hot. I'm running Amsoil severe gear 75w-90, haven't changed it in about 25,000

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:47 am

I doubt if they fail because of the oil. IMHO, they fail due to bad design/cheap construction by AAM. But I doubt many of them fail under warranty so they choose not to do anything about it.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:04 am

DamageWagon wrote:Hey BLM, do you have a recommendation for oil in the 10.5 diff?... I'm running Amsoil severe gear 75w-90, haven't changed it in about 25,000
Sounds like you're running a good high quality fluid, but you're about due for a change. I'm just using off the shelf synthetic.
Footnote to my previous post: The one OEM that has never converted to synthetic gear oil is Toyota, they're still using standard 80W90 GL5, but they require a 30K service interval.

On another note...
Miller #9915.jpg
I picked this up on Ebay for $4.68 with free shipping and no tax. I couldn't afford not to buy it at that price. Now I just need #6444 to make it work, or build my own.
:rockon:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:32 pm

I think they fail due to heat, at least mine anyways. ^^^^^^^^^^So, what is that & what is #6444 ?

I have recorded temps as high as 315*F in mine while towing our old Toy Hauler. I have a Mag-Hytec cover on now, that doubled the stock fluid capacity, from 3 qts to 6 qts. The temps seem to have stayed about the same when towing our new 3500 lb camper with stock cover vs Mag-Hytec cover (170-177*F). But because the fluid amount is doubled It should give me more gear oil life. I've been thinking about getting a 5 gal bucket of this http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/g ... e=SVTQT-EA . And one of these to mount in the temp port on the Mag-Hytrc cover. http://www.autometer.com/2-diff-temp-10 ... antom.html

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:10 pm

TwinStick wrote:^^^^^^^^^^So, what is that & what is #6444 ?
That is the special Miller/Mopar adapter tool #9915 for removing the carrier bearing without destroying it on the 10.5" AAM differential, so you can replace the locker actuator. I still need the main puller that fits the adapter (#6444). I'm sure eventually I'll need it to do my own, or help someone else in need.
shopping.png
Miller special tool #6444
shopping.png (6.12 KiB) Viewed 5559 times

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:45 am

Well, ain't that awesome ! That is the tool that my dealer did not have, but needed, to do that job on my truck. Owner said "Because we only sold that 1 PW (to me), it would not be cost effective to purchase a $795.00 tool for what would/could be a 1 time use !!!" Can you believe that shit ? :angry: They ended up borrowing 1 from another dealer & had it flown in from AZ !!! :doh: Prob cost almost as much as the tool did to do that. :doh:

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:36 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
That is the special Miller/Mopar adapter tool #9915 for removing the carrier bearing without destroying it on the 10.5" AAM differential, so you can replace the locker actuator. I still need the main puller that fits the adapter (#6444). I'm sure eventually I'll need it to do my own, or help someone else in need.
shopping.png
There may be an "05 on your waiting list. :rockon:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 pm

flattire wrote:
Retired BLM Rig wrote:
shopping.png
There may be an "05 on your waiting list. :rockon:
It might be a while. I have a saved search for the puller on Ebay. I'll keep you posted. Start saving your pennies for an actuator. :patriot:

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Actuator is now installed everything works as good as new. JS Gear Co. did a great job I was on my way home in 2.5 hours. Axle bearings were fine so only cost was labor and oil.

The shop owner is vehemently against the use of synthetic gear oil and filled the axle with conventional Lucas 85w-140. Since thicker oil runs hotter and heat was possibly a contributing factor in the failure of the Actuator, so I replaced the oil with valvoline synpower 75w-90 the next day.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:07 pm

coder wrote:Actuator is now installed everything works as good as new. JS Gear Co. did a great job I was on my way home in 2.5 hours. Axle bearings were fine so only cost was labor and oil.

The shop owner is vehemently against the use of synthetic gear oil and filled the axle with conventional Lucas 85w-140. Since thicker oil runs hotter and heat was possibly a contributing factor in the failure of the Actuator, so I replaced the oil with valvoline synpower 75w-90 the next day.
But If you are not towing something substantial, the temperatures should not get that high even with conventional gear oil...
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Mine get hot enough not towing that I will be looking into an aluminum cover. Unless Rusty reports back on his diff gear oil pump and cooler.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Since my bearings had very little wear after 10 years and 160k miles and all the hard parts in the axle were in good shape I saw no reason to change from the factory recommended 75w-90 synthetic oil.

Pep-Boys had the Valvoline Synpower on sale for $9.99 a quart and I already had 1 in my garage so it was a no-brainer.

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:02 pm

CODER:
Did you use JS Gear in Huntington Beach?

This job only took 2.5 hours? Dealer charges $4-5,000 for this job.

Where did you order actuator from?

A lot of shops don't want to put in parts that you bring in. Was this any problem?

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:24 pm

flattire wrote:CODER:
Did you use JS Gear in Huntington Beach?

This job only took 2.5 hours? Dealer charges $4-5,000 for this job.

Where did you order actuator from?

A lot of shops don't want to put in parts that you bring in. Was this any problem?
Did you use JS Gear in Huntington Beach? - Yes

This job only took 2.5 hours? - Yes

Where did you order actuator from? - http://www.stevewhiteparts.com (I buy from them all the time)

A lot of shops don't want to put in parts that you bring in. Was this any problem? - Not a problem, the owner knows his stuff, said it was a straightforward job, he did a PW Actuator the day before brought in by a guy that had it messed-up by another shop.

The whole project parts/labor and changing the oil again myself was about $650 when all was said and done.
Last edited by coder on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Damn, that is an outstanding deal !!! :rockon:

I also did not have good luck in the rear diff with 140w. It averaged 215*F or more. I had the Mopar 75-90w full synthetic in the rear diff when I recorded 315*F, towing our 10,500 lb Toy Hauler on a 97* day, with my laser thermometer. Currently running Amsoil 75-90w. 6 qts in rear diff (Mag-Hytec cover) & average 170-177*F towing our camper @ 60 mph. Staying @ 60 mph instead of 70-80 mph makes a big difference with 4.56's. Empty or towing, just that extra 10-20 mph makes a big difference in the diff temp in my truck. Not really impressed with the longevity of any oil I have used yet in the rear diff. My truck has towed most of it's life. Next will be Amsoil Severe Gear 110w or the Lubrication Engineers 1605 DOULEC that is also 110w. It is sold on the Mag-Hytec website @ $20.00 qt !

I saw this stuff for the first time ever. I know nothing about it though. http://www.runnings.com/auto-lubricants ... -quart.htm Anyone use it ?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:18 pm

DamageWagon wrote:Mine get hot enough not towing that I will be looking into an aluminum cover. Unless Rusty reports back on his diff gear oil pump and cooler.
My set-up is for track car. To use on the PW. You would need to find a safe place for it. So that the cooler doesn't get hit with rocks. And you would need oil lines that flexed more then the braided stainless lines. I'm not able to install my parts until I heal. So that is looking like the end of Oct maybe.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:55 pm

The first people to start making increased oil capacity rear diff covers, that are designed to run a cooler, with the ports already in them, & a small pump, will prob sell a LOT of them to people who tow. I could probably use the Mag-Hytec cover that I have now. There is a large bottom drain & the same size fill hole. Certainly would NOT be off road friendly though, it would be much better to have the oil ports/fittings & hose up out of the way.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 am

RustyPW wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:Mine get hot enough not towing that I will be looking into an aluminum cover. Unless Rusty reports back on his diff gear oil pump and cooler.
My set-up is for track car. To use on the PW. You would need to find a safe place for it. So that the cooler doesn't get hit with rocks. And you would need oil lines that flexed more then the braided stainless lines. I'm not able to install my parts until I heal. So that is looking like the end of Oct maybe.
m

Rusty I would mount the cooler to the axle with some protection. Definitely needs to be a safe setup. Could run braided stainless lines up to the frame though, the factory does the same thing with its brake lines. My rear diff needs cooling fast. Locker light is almost constantly flashing. How much did your cooler cost, was it nuts?

I will likely just run a Mag-Hytec and run some kind of steel skid under it. I feel like I'll smack it into a rock.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:04 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
RustyPW wrote:
m

Rusty I would mount the cooler to the axle with some protection. Definitely needs to be a safe setup. Could run braided stainless lines up to the frame though, the factory does the same thing with its brake lines. My rear diff needs cooling fast. Locker light is almost constantly flashing. How much did your cooler cost, was it nuts?

I will likely just run a Mag-Hytec and run some kind of steel skid under it. I feel like I'll smack it into a rock.
My set-up came from MA Motorsports in Md. List is close to $1,000 for everything. But I got mine at a raffle at ZDayZ sports car meet at Deals Gap NC. The ticket cost me one buck. :D The braided stainless lines are -8 AN (1/2"). There is not much flex in that size line unless you make them long.

You can piece this together.
Pump - http://www.jegs.com/i/Tilton/454/40-527/10002/-1
Cooler - http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15500/10002/-1
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: