07 thru 13 alternator recall

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Vee
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

07 thru 13 alternator recall

Post by Vee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:12 pm

So today my alternator started making whining noises and smelled like smoke. I had the truck tested at Carquest and they said it was charging but was bad. My winch has been shutting down every time it gets a load on it, so I thought my battery was toast. Guess not. I ordered a rebuilt alternator, but when I got home I checked the web and found a recall for 160 amp denso alternators. Not real clear if it's just for fleet vehicles or not. Tried my vin lookup, but no dice. My truck is an 07. Anyone have any luck getting FCA to buy a new alternator? I know that mine gets fleet type heavy duty use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Not all those who wander are lost

Vee
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: 07 thru 13 alternator recall

Post by Vee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:44 am

Ok then. Replaced the alternator, noise and smoke is gone. Hopefully the winch has more power now. Next time I am in town I will ask the dealer about my passenger airbag and the alternator recalls.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 am

I fixed mine with this: https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Dodge~Ra ... 70-xp.html So far, so good. I must have hit my LED light bar switch & turned it on. It was on for 3+ hrs @ 300 watts. Started it up, let it run for an hour & both batteries were charged up. Gotta love the 199 amps at idle.

Vee
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Vee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:48 pm

TwinStick wrote:I fixed mine with this: https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Dodge~Ra ... 70-xp.html So far, so good. I must have hit my LED light bar switch & turned it on. It was on for 3+ hrs @ 300 watts. Started it up, let it run for an hour & both batteries were charged up. Gotta love the 199 amps at idle.
Wow. I wish I had the funds for that.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Hello Vee,

Whining, smoking sounds like the bearings are shot, the most affordable option would be to find an starter/alternate shop and have them rebuild it, if that's not an option. I got one of these from LActrical a new alternator on ebay and it's been great had it for 2+ years with no problems avoid the chinese rebuilds from auto parts store they're junk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-ALTERNA ... 45fea79818

Last edited by coder on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Vee wrote:
TwinStick wrote:I fixed mine with this: https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Dodge~Ra ... 70-xp.html So far, so good. I must have hit my LED light bar switch & turned it on. It was on for 3+ hrs @ 300 watts. Started it up, let it run for an hour & both batteries were charged up. Gotta love the 199 amps at idle.
Wow. I wish I had the funds for that.

I got it on super sale for $499.00 :rockon:

It sure would be easier if someone made a kit w/bracket & longer serpentine belt, to use 2 stock alternators. A lot easier to find those than the one i got.

Vee
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Vee » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:35 am

coder wrote:Hello Vee,

Whining, smoking sounds like the bearings are shot, the most affordable option would be to find an starter/alternate shop and have them rebuild it, if that's not an option. I got one of these from LActrical a new alternator on ebay and it's been great had it for 2+ years with no problems avoid the chinese rebuilds from auto parts store they're junk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-ALTERNA ... 45fea79818

Already went with the Chinese option. We'll see how it goes. The winch at least is working much better.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:53 am

How many here went with the dual alternator option? Planning to order mine that way since a winch requires a larger then stock alternator or more then one battery(heavy). 2 ought make that sucker hum.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:26 am

I think the dual alt option should be standard on new PW's. It's a no-brainer.