Long Term PW Storage

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
chromedragon
50_Posts
50_Posts

Long Term PW Storage

Post by chromedragon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Hello All,

I am planning to store my PW up on my property out doors due to excessive total cars/trust at my current home. The property has security and a care taker to make sure the truck is not pesterd by 2 legged idiots. I am looking for information about what i should do for long term storage to keep the truck viable between uses. I am planning a truck cover to keep the sun and elements to a minimum and maybe a solar charger to keep the battery topped up. I will probably put stabil in the tank to make sure the gas is not totally useless. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. My PW is a 3rd gen '06 manual Quad Cab, more info in the sig if you are curious.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Tony
2006 Power Wagon Quad Cab Manual Moto Rims stock size, Cooper ATP, Dynatrac Ball joints, Dynatrac Free spin kit with Warn hubs, AmSteel blue 7/16 x 100' synthetics rope from Custom splice, Sony BT 602 stereo and backup camera etc. Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks.

Special Licenses:
FAA Airframe and Power Plant
FCC Technician (Ham) KK6YCI

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
"No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.

Robert A. Heinlein

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Re: Long Term PW Storage

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Give it an oil change before storage. If possible, disconnect the battery and attach a solar battery maintainer/ charger directly to the battery. Have the truck lifted on stands to prevent flat spots in the tires. You also may want to consider a rust inhibitor for the disk brake surface area. Also, do not leave the parking brake applied, the shoes can get stuck to the drum surface should moisture cause it to rust.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Have the care taker crank it once a week and would be nice to drive it around every other week or so. Worst thing for any kind of machinery is to let it sit. Lots of bare metal surfaces that will develop rust if it sits. Anything on the truck with oil in it and a cavity will hit a dew point and condensate when there are temperature swings. I've taken differential covers off before and the entire top half was rusted that want submerged in oil. If it's not in climate controlled storage, it will happen.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:42 am

How long is it going to sit?
Some of the things you can do. Depends on how crazy you are.
Oil change, disconnect battery, solar battery tender, tires off the ground, tire covers, fuel stabilizer, full gas tank, remove spark plugs, squint oil into plug holes and crank over a few times, fluid film bare metal, seams, and joints like where the door skin folds over, and on the tail gate.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TonkaPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TonkaPW » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:02 pm

You want to do something to keep small critters from nesting in it or chewing up the wiring. Anything sitting in a field becomes a nesting spot for mice. They will chew up the wiring and a lot of the time make nests in the air box and the vents in the dash. Moth balls can help keep them out or peppermint oil. Hornets and Bees also like to nest in vehicles stored outdoors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Rock rails
2" lift
35" Duratracks
Thuren control arms

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:32 am

Find a trustworthy friend to park and drive it every week or two...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk