Raptor vs. Power Wagon vs. ZR2

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Littlehouse

Raptor vs. Power Wagon vs. ZR2

Post by Littlehouse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Not sure if this has been posted yet. And the winner is......
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/2500 ... wer-wagon/

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Raptor vs. Power Wagon vs. ZR2

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Since you posted this here I would have assumed the Zr2 won :)
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:09 pm

What surprised me the most, is how they stated the pw handled better in the high speed washed out stuff than the raptor and zr2. Thats crazy.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Shaved Ice » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Sounds like they had a great time. Thanks for posting.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

yooper68
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by yooper68 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks for sharing; sounds like a nice trip.
And the best truck won!
Trucks: 2003 4x4 Dodge 3/4 ton, 1972 4x4 Ford 3/4 ton (factory hi-boy), shopping for new Power Wagon (maybe 2024?)

Sweet5ltr
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Sweet5ltr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:02 am

phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

What gets me is the utter ignorance of Ford owners, shown by the general replies to this article. I've owned a Saleen Mustang, Corvette Z06, and SRT Challenger. I sold my Saleen due to the individuals within the Mustang community for these very same reasons. Ignorance is bliss, until reality sets in and the Baja truck is out-classed by two, purpose built general off-road rigs in the wilds of Canada.

The ZR2 is a great little truck, basically a mini-rock crawler that tackled the Rubicon trail. Power Wagon is basically, an over-built Jeep Rubicon with a longer wheelbase. Why is anyone surprised of the outcome, these are journalists with probably little to no previous off-road experience; they are about un-biased as they come. For them to choose the Power Wagon ESPECIALLY over the brand-new ZR2 & Raptor, it had to be a no contest win.
2015 PW - 285/75r17 Yokohama Geolander G015's

37's and some :cash: to Thuren when the warranty expires :patriot:

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Ah shoot they temporarily removed the comments. Listening to the fanboys excuses and rationalizations on the outcome is the best part.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Raptors are one trick ponies, but thanks to marketing and flashy looks, their owners are convinced they have the most extreme badass offroad capable trucks. They don't.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:36 pm

The Power Wagon is a big truck with relaxed controls and minimal feedback. It's no wonder on a trip like that it came out on top, the other two choices weren't very well suited. Take the three trucks and put them in different elements and you'd get a completely different outcomes.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:47 pm

Ahhhh, here's the good stuff http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/mot ... ndex3.html

There was too much air in the tires, they needed some weight in the bed waaahhh. Oh and don't forget the 'driver mod'.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 pm

No surprise to us. Wonder if the ZR2 would have won with the diesel engine ?

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Just wait for the TRX... Ram will have the off-road truck market cornered between it and the PW.

I know several Raptor owners who will trade their weed-whacker trucks in the second the TRX is available. Ford will have to put a V8 (Coyote?) back in their truck to be competitive.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Power Wagon, but the suspension isn't half of what it should be and I wish it had the 8-speed. Was about a week out from ordering KINGs when the "concept" guy at my dealer called and said he was briefed on TRX sales for next year. Fingers crossed it will be similar to the concept (besides the rack).
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Take the three trucks and put them in different elements and you'd get a completely different outcomes.
Yes and no. The Rapturd is a lot of fun on the street and for jumping dunes, but it's not much good as a real truck that needs to haul things. My PW spends most of it offroad time in the desert, and for my purposes it is far superior to the Rapturd.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I saw one of those TRX's on the street the other day, however I don't think this one checked off on the suspension and blower packages.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:36 pm

The 2010 TRX was a package earlier on that was kind of the first, half assed attempt at what the rebel would become. I think they turned into the Outdoorsmen which is more appropriate. They dropped the nameplate. And revived it for the TRX concept.

The thing about the Raptor is it's mission is way more focused than people realize. And it doesn't do a lot of normal truck stuff well. It actually fails at a lot. Like carrying loads and towing things. The Power Wagon and even the ZR2 might not be fast corner handling baja racers, but they both do a lot of normal truck things well, while also doing well off-road.

The Raptor was cool. But more and more people are realizing that when you buy one, it's like buying a Corvette with trunk space and not a Truck.
-------
------

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:01 pm

The trx thing was a joke but yeah, I'm kinda confused about what direction Ford's going with the Raptor. I guess when that $1000+/month truck note needs paying it hurts to lose a truck competition.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:20 pm

If they come out with a mini/mid sized PW, in addition to the PW & TRX, then they will corner the market.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:The trx thing was a joke but yeah, I'm kinda confused about what direction Ford's going with the Raptor. I guess when that $1000+/month truck note needs paying it hurts to lose a truck competition.
It was a cool concept, it sells. It's a lifestyle truck, most people who buy it, buy it for the same reasons most people buy Jeeps. Image. And Ford is just running with what works I think. The improvements made to the 2nd gen were just bigger shocks basically and a different engine. They're chasing dollar signs with no real plan in site. It's become a little more obvious.

Anyone remember when the SVT Lighting was a popular truck?
TwinStick wrote:If they come out with a mini/mid sized PW, in addition to the PW & TRX, then they will corner the market.
Ram has the Rebel, the TRX is confusing to me a little bit. I think they should add a rear electronic locker, hill decent and bigger tires to the Rebel in a Rebel TRX package. Maybe the 6.4 hemi?? I dunno. With some tweaking, it could be a rear competitor. And perform even better offroad.

Right now, folks who test the Rebel offroad don't find it that much more successful offroad compared to a 1500 4x4.
-------
------

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:53 pm

I agree with all that. :rockon:

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:53 pm

The TRX will have all the things you mentioned. 37's, Dynatrac rear with locker, 6.2 with supercharger, hill descent, "baja" mode and all those other gimmicks (just let me turn the nannies off already), KING shocks, and the 8-speed that works so well in the Hellcats and the Rebels. This is what I heard from my dealer. The sidepipes and beadlocks are the only things in question, as well as suspension travel.

Personally I think the mini/mid-size trucks are incredibly boring and not worth marketing to the true off-road crowd. I owned a Tacoma for years, while it was light and nimble, it couldn't do truck stuff and that wimpy V6 was disappointing. Want a small off-road vehicle that can go places and tow a small trailer? Buy a Rubicon, or a 4Runner.

My folks have one of the new Rebels in Mojave Sand. Neat truck, but not an off-road package by any means.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:24 pm

I do remember the ford lightning but like this one better:

And if you're a certain age and can remember this one:

I had a 2001 S-runner with the TRD blower (that is before I totaled it). The first gen 3000lb ones before they added 1000# and rocker panels and crap to it.
It was as fast as a stock ford lightning with the 260hp blown v6.

Z's2016PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Z's2016PW » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:37 pm

They stated in the article that the Rebel's suspension could not keep up with the other vehicles. Ram will have to address this issue if they want the Rebel to be more off road worthy. The Raptur couldn't beat the Wagon back in 2010 and even with all of its electrical nannies it still can't. Not sure what Four Wheeler was smoking when they decided to give the crown to the Raptur instead of the Wagon.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Z's2016PW wrote:They stated in the article that the Rebel's suspension could not keep up with the other vehicles. Ram will have to address this issue if they want the Rebel to be more off road worthy. The Raptur couldn't beat the Wagon back in 2010 and even with all of its electrical nannies it still can't. Not sure what Four Wheeler was smoking when they decided to give the crown to the Raptur instead of the Wagon.

I know exactly what they were smoking.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:Ahhhh, here's the good stuff http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/mot ... ndex3.html

There was too much air in the tires, they needed some weight in the bed waaahhh. Oh and don't forget the 'driver mod'.
Man I read a few pages there and what a bunch of WHINeRS!!!! If you mod this or mod that then it does better?? I drive roads similar to the test conditions every single day. They live in min or Cali or Florida. Their stupidly is hilarious. How many oil patch guys run raptors for work? None. It can't handle the abuse that's given every single day between roads and loads.

That was a very good review. Made me want to drive the zr2 to be honest.

It's good though that all these Baby whiners are in that forum.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Z's2016PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Z's2016PW » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Interesting how on the Raptor forums they are complaining about the tire pressure not being low enough. Also, not enough weight in the bed. Pretty sure the Wagon was cruising right along with 65 psi in the tires. I wonder what else they will cry about.