Funny steering feeling

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
stubiePW
500_Posts
500_Posts

Funny steering feeling

Post by stubiePW » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 pm

So more and more I'm getting what I think could start being death wobble. I've searched and know to check track bar and ball joints, but what specifically do I check? I'm also slightly over due for a tire rotation/alignment.
2012 power wagon just shy of 70k miles. Toyo r/t 37" and thuren goodies all around and thuren track bar.
Just started past few weeks. Not always on bumps but it does get weird at faster speeds. My tires are at 35/30 psi

Thanks guys. Like I said. I've read but just not sure what to look for.

Josh

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: Funny steering feeling

Post by gtomike60 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Tie rod ends,drag link,ball joints
,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Have someone help you, have them sit in the truck foot on the brake engine running in park and steer the truck back and forth from about 10 to 2 o'clock. While they're doing that you inspect every tie rod end and both ends of the track bar for any visual play.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:33 am

good idea to check ball joints and unit bearings too. jack up front axle a few inches, grab a buddy with 6ft pry bar and have him pry up on the tires cycling tension on one tire at a time. any undesirable movement pretty much tells you to replace parts. Sometimes you have to watch closely to see if movement is at a ball joint or unit bearing.

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Your situation sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. I too have the Thuren parts all around, and while they helped the feeling, they didn't solve them. I just bit the bullet and bought new ball joints (EMFs), front bearing assemblies and u-joints. While I'm not sure all three of those are needed to fix the problem, I can tell you that my truck is as tight feeling as it has EVER felt. I don't have to worry about death wobble hitting bumps/dips in the road any more. Damn was it expensive, but it solved the problem. More than likely, it's the ball joints have gone out, but you won't know until you do the tests mentioned above. Good luck, man! :cheers:
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Yep, way too many factors, best thing is get someone to shake the steering back and forth to see what's loose. ANY play at all is bad, if you can see it no matter how small it is, it needs attention.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

stubiePW
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by stubiePW » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. Have not got there yet. Hopefully soon