Why are there so many newer PWs being traded in so early

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Why are there so many newer PWs being traded in so early

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 pm

I see about 1 Power Wagon a month around me. : (

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:46 pm

TwinStick wrote:the GM is the most car-like of the bunch.

So you trade away... then you get your chevy stuck and remember why you bought the PW.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Saying "I want a truck with the ride of a car" is right up there with saying "I want an accurate rife that will shoot 1.5 miles with the recoil of a .22 cal AR15" !!! Image
Yeah, GM is bad at off road packages. The Z71 package on my 2011 would have been different tires (maybe wheels too), different shocks, slightly thicker torsion bar, and 4x4 sticker. Shocks are disposable, torsion bar is meh, dealer tires are crap (wheels too). So you're paying for... the sticker... WAHOOO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:53 pm

TankerZak wrote: Yeah, GM is bad at off road packages. The Z71 package on my 2011 would have been different tires (maybe wheels too), different shocks, slightly thicker torsion bar, and 4x4 sticker. Shocks are disposable, torsion bar is meh, dealer tires are crap (wheels too). So you're paying for... the sticker... WAHOOO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah, but that sticker is BADASS.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 pm

My work truck is a Z71. When my boss bought it for me, he didn't want the other guys to get all pissy, so he had the sticker removed...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:My work truck is a Z71. When my boss bought it for me, he didn't want the other guys to get all pissy, so he had the sticker removed...Image

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
:doh: Figures. Must be a ferb guy.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

IIIOIISTER
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by IIIOIISTER » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm

If I can do it all over again I’d get the Cummins and add my current upgrades onto it plus a few more. I do mostly desert and trail runs and have rarely used the locking diffs and disconnecting sway bar. But, if you’re looking to do Jeep things and crawl over rough terrains you’d definitely appreciate the diffs and sway bar. Fuel economy is also horrendous comparing to what a diesel could give you, but I don’t mind it.
'17 Power Wagon
35" Yokohama Geolander G003
Carli
-King 2.5 Pintop
-3” coils
-Front diff cover
Thuren
-Rear track bar
-Rear sway bar links
-King steering damper

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:24 pm

I've ridden in a 15' RAM Cummins outfitted with full (springs, f/r trackbars, front torsion swaybar, f/r boogie stops) thuren suspension and King 2.0's. It was all over the front bump stops offroad as was his suspension stock. He just sold it and purchased a new F250 powerstroke and plans to go full Carli with it. The aluminum body F250/ps is about 1k lbs lighter than a cummins equipped RAM.

The cummins is heavy...the gas 6.4 platform is a better offroad option for going fast.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:37 pm

IIIOIISTER wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm
If I can do it all over again I’d get the Cummins and add my current upgrades onto it plus a few more. I do mostly desert and trail runs and have rarely used the locking diffs and disconnecting sway bar. But, if you’re looking to do Jeep things and crawl over rough terrains you’d definitely appreciate the diffs and sway bar. Fuel economy is also horrendous comparing to what a diesel could give you, but I don’t mind it.
My buddy just bought a 2018 Cummins and to say it has power is an understatement. However, the front end feels like an anchor and the steering is mute and and numb. In contrast, my gas truck feels balanced and responsive. I can't imagine going fast offroad with his truck. If I were towing heavy I'd reconsider my decision but my gas truck is well mannered and has none of the quirks associated with diesel. It's not perfect but I have yet to feel like I needed a different engine. I just did a 3k mile roadtrip in severe winter conditions and the PW was nothing less than boringly reliable.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Yup, new ones get the DW too. Just google it.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=221736

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:06 pm

people trade vehicles for numerous reasons. maybe they cant afford it anymore. maybe they upgraded their travel trailer and its far heavier. maybe they experienced alot of mechanical problems. maybe they got in over their head and its more vehicle than they need. list goes on and on

i traded a nearly new 16 with 5k for a 17 because i liked the 17 appearance much better. 16 had far to much chrome for my taste. why did i buy the 16 you ask. well at the time the images of the 17 hadnt been released yet and i just figured they would be nearly identical to 16. had i known, i would of just waited until the 17s arrived

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:31 pm

cb1987 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:06 pm
people trade vehicles for numerous reasons. maybe they cant afford it anymore. maybe they upgraded their travel trailer and its far heavier. maybe they experienced alot of mechanical problems. maybe they got in over their head and its more vehicle than they need. list goes on and on

i traded a nearly new 16 with 5k for a 17 because i liked the 17 appearance much better. 16 had far to much chrome for my taste. why did i buy the 16 you ask. well at the time the images of the 17 hadnt been released yet and i just figured they would be nearly identical to 16. had i known, i would of just waited until the 17s arrived
Had an aunt and uncle get a new car ever 2 years. And they wasn't leased.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:48 am

ya ive known people that needed to have new vehicles every couple years. what ever floats their boat

i know some people dont like the grill or big tailgate letters on the 17 but i like it and since all the chrome is gone it kind of has a sport trim appearance which i really like so i had to get one. now i hope i dont like the new 20 model or ill have to trade and get one haha

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:13 am

I am even in a more extreme boat. I would have NEVER bought an earlier PW. Beyond assorted mechanical concerns I could not stand the Chrome and Dragon Vomit. At the very same dealer I bought my 17 from I looked at 16 before I was ready and it even had that weird red in the grill. I asked the dealer if it was Mexican Drug Lords coming up from the south buying these.... :lol: He said no, Mexican Farmers. Just in general I catch people humping my truck all the time, the prior style would have never drawn the same attention. Ram was really so many decades out of date I think I just assumed the entire truck was out of date as well. ( mechanics, electronics, ect) To an extent the prior gen was but despite changes in 2014 the styling turned me off, and I bet quite a few off. Ram should be proud of the evolution, but hopefully shot who ever dragged down the Power Wagon for so many years with styling and poor marketing.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 pm

The splash graphics only came on 22P and could be deleted at the factory or just removed by the end user. My 22J didn't come with graphics, two tone, or painted grill.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 pm
The splash graphics only came on 22P and could be deleted at the factory or just removed by the end user. My 22J didn't come with graphics, two tone, or painted grill.
Yeh, but that was the one on the lot when I looked. I was like :jawdrop: They also had an AEV one which looked better, but did not like the Chrome still. Nor the :cash: Then I went to the next car show and saw and Omaha Orange with Ram boxes and was like :notworthy:

Ok so they wont make you one with Ram Boxes and Apparently not my Red despite all the marketing with them, but that is just being picky. :doh:
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.