Synthetic rope install

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Socalboarder
Model Year: 2012

Synthetic rope install

Post by Socalboarder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:22 am

This past February I replaced my steel cable with some Master Pull synthetic. I have the 3/8" line, rated at 29,700 lbs. I've used it to pull vehicles, move fallen trees and other fun stuff (zip line for the kids).

After removing the old cable, remove all 4 rollers and sand them down smooth. Super smooth. I used a drill with the roller mounted on the end, working up to 1000 grit sand paper.
IMAG0192_17.jpg
IMAG0193.jpg
IMAG0197.jpg
IMAG0207.jpg
Once the rollers are off and sanded, sand down the winch drum. Again, super smooth. make sure there is nothing sharp on the drum. I ran my fingers over the entire drum to make sure. If t felt rough, I sanded or used a super fine file. My drum was relatively smooth, just needed to smooth down some of the welding burs/bumps.
IMAG0203.jpg
IMAG0204.jpg
Once everything is super smooth, mount the rollers back on, and then mount the end of the winch line to the drum. Master Pull lines come with the drum end beefed up.
IMAG0209.jpg
IMAG0210.jpg
IMAG0212.jpg
IMAG0213.jpg
Spool the line on and that's it. Super simple install.
IMAG0214.jpg
IMAG0215_10.jpg

I'll eventually do the same as CombatWombat, but this work just fine for now.

As for people who say the line has gotten caught in the rollers, if you look at the rollers on the PW, the horizontal rollers are in front of the vertical ones. This is opposite of most roller fairleads I see on Jeeps and such. I've pulled some extreme pulls and had no issues. I don't think there is a way for the line to get caught in the configuration the PW has the rollers in.

I've pulled the full weight of my truck up hill roughly 45 degree angle in 1 foot of mud, no issues. You just have to make sure your synthetic line is protected where ever it touches the ground, goes over a rock or log/tree. Just need to be a bit more aware of you line than you do cable. And look over your rollers from time to time to make sure they are still good to go.

I still have my cable. Currently run 125' of 3/8" with 100' extension, 85ish feet of the 7/16" cable, 2x40' straps, 3x15' tree savers, 3x30K snatch blocks and too many D shackles to remember.

Bock
Model Year: 2014

Re: Synthetic rope install

Post by Bock » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:08 am

Looks nice, and good wright up. Thanks :cheers:
2017 Ram Power Wagon - Black Metallic

Cactus Red

Re: Synthetic rope install

Post by Cactus Red » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:35 pm

I replaced my synthetic rope last October after 7 years of service. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. Once off the drum, I salvaged two extensions from the old 90' line, one 25', the other 20'.

Get the tools you need to splice rope - it's easy to do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I'm just along for the ride...