Replacing exhaust OEM or Aftermarket?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Numbnuts
50_Posts
50_Posts

Replacing exhaust OEM or Aftermarket?

Post by Numbnuts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:13 am

My OEM can has a small hole in it and has too much rust for my liking.

Replacement is about 700 for OEM and about the same for aftermarket sound.

Which is better?

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Replacing exhaust OEM or Aftermarket?

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:29 am

$700 for aftermarket exhaust?? Is that with one turbo or two?

A decent muffler should run $100-$150, and a shop will probably charge $50-$100 for install. I recommend Jones Turbines. No chambers to impede flow or break off and rattle, stainless steel, sound is excellent and a noticeable increase in mid-high rpm power. Can't tell you how many times I've been told my truck is the best sounding truck on the road.

Definitely ditch the trash can and go aftermarket, these trucks respond great to a little uncorking of the exhaust. :rockon:
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Numbnuts wrote:My OEM can has a small hole in it and has too much rust for my liking.

Which is better?
Hello, a few questions first, when you say replace the exhaust what do you mean, muffler, cat-back, whole exhaust (down pipes, new cats, everything) ? Where is the rust/hole in the muffler or everywhere, what year is your power wagon?
Last edited by coder on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Numbnuts
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Numbnuts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Chromolykid wrote:$700 for aftermarket exhaust?? Is that with one turbo or two?

A decent muffler should run $100-$150, and a shop will probably charge $50-$100 for install. I recommend Jones Turbines. No chambers to impede flow or break off and rattle, stainless steel, sound is excellent and a noticeable increase in mid-high rpm power. Can't tell you how many times I've been told my truck is the best sounding truck on the road.

Definitely ditch the trash can and go aftermarket, these trucks respond great to a little uncorking of the exhaust. :rockon:
Jones Turbines. Havnt heard of them but will look into that as an option. THX 8-) 8-)

Numbnuts
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Numbnuts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:23 pm

coder wrote:
Numbnuts wrote:My OEM can has a small hole in it and has too much rust for my liking.

Which is better?
Hello, a few questions first, when you say replace the exhaust what do you mean, muffler, cat-back, whole exhaust (down pipes, new cats, everything) ? Where is the rust/hole in the muffler or everywhere, what year is your power wagon?

Just from the "Y" pipe back. I put a WTB ad in the classified section.

MY PW is a 2011 w/20k miles.......but with some northeast rust I used POR 15 to rectify.

The hole is in the can about 2 inches in diameter. The tailpipe could prolly b used again but I wanna replace it. Ive only had the truck since March 2017

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Numbnuts wrote: Just from the "Y" pipe back. I put a WTB ad in the classified section.

MY PW is a 2011 w/20k miles.......but with some northeast rust I used POR 15 to rectify.

The hole is in the can about 2 inches in diameter. The tailpipe could prolly b used again but I wanna replace it. I've only had the truck since March 2017
I am a long time Magnaflow fan the sound and performance is just what I was looking for, I have one of their mufflers and a Y pipes on my 3Gen PW. I took a look on their website and did not find a complete cat-back system for your truck but honestly it's cheaper to get a Y pipe and a muffler and keep the rest of the OEM system. Here's a few pics incase you're interested.
Attachments
0210000811.jpg
0210001047a.jpg
0210001048a.jpg
Last edited by coder on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Numbnuts
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Numbnuts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Hey thanks for going thru the trouble of taking the pics. Im definitely interested in options that I have and what other folks like w/their rigs.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 pm

I have a 2011 as wel and will be cutting off the exhaust ahead of the y-pipe, welding in a new Flowmaster Y, and then going with a Jones Turbine like Chromoly said. The Turbine is light, compact, and I've heard it sounds good on the Hemis.