Why has AEV turned to such shit?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Timgco
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Why has AEV turned to such shit?

Post by Timgco » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 am

nts007 wrote:In fact according to stats this thread is zigs most active topic with 8!!! Posts alone
Well now i feel left out. :excited:
2016 Laramie Power Wagon
...www.idontworkforaev.com...

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 am

This is hilarious. Dude if you want a kit that makes your truck look absolutely gorgeous, the AEV kit is hard to beat. But it absolutely sucks ass offroad. You're paying a ton of money for LESS THAN STOCK performance. We had a guy with an AEV Power Wagon in Moab and it ruined the truck. Flex sucked, bumper sucked, and for how much money he put into that truck, his suspension was a pile of steaming shit next to anybody there with even modest suspension upgrades. My 2011 with Kings and a CAMPER ON THE TRUCK performed better than a brand new AEV Power Wagon. That's sad. If the owner is reading this, I'm not trying to bash the guy, but hot damn was that an eye opener.

Additionally. I've heard of several critical failures of AEV bracketry. The kind of stuff that kills people. Trackbar brackets shearing off and the front axle sliding sideways under the truck. That's unacceptable, even more so when they know it's an issue and don't fix it. Then they come out with this joke Recuit package. I remember reading the horrible Expedition Portal review of if... When even your own paid sponsor can't find something positive to say about your product, you've flat out failed.

But AEV stuff looks good.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 am

I apologize. But congratulations on your 100th post!!!
Lol
It was just funny that 36% of zigs posts in their entirity are in this thread

I'd really be happy to see u guys posting build threads or telling us how your stuff is lasting long term.

I'm dead set against aev. I won't lie. I do believe they have a few good products though. But it's like this.
I'm a home builder. If I went to my customer and pushed this extremely fancy house design where I told them I was giving them top notch product and materials and after they gave me their hard earned moneythen turned around and used the cheapest stuff I could find and then put some real expensive countertop in and motorized window coverings in to take their eye and interest away from a shoddy piece of crap job done that you can get then I would be called out by my peers and others in my industry. And if I can get my business because a local lumber store promotes me then offeres financing I would still be "that guy". I'm not. I stand by my work 100% and only use products I know are engineered well to last and give the customer the best possible home I can. So when I see aev with a bumper (quartz or granite counter) or a snorkel (iPhone controlled blinds) and then I see a spacer lift that does nothing that any other Joe Shmoe could do with some coil spacers and some bds long arms and a sawzall could do then I am far from impressed. Had aev actually done a complete suspension or at least taken an existing system that actually improves the trucks for what they brag they can do (where's the lockers for that price tag) then I would be less against them.
Every one of my customers gets 100% of attention when they ask for it. I don't delete their questions or posts because it annoys me. That would cost me my business.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:47 am

It's like the Twilight Zone, DOR has a better reputation here. No amount of holster-sniffing changes it either. What would it take for AEV to be an off-road company agai ?

Z's2016PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Z's2016PW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:51 am

Have their lift utilize the power wagon springs so that you can actually get some up and down travel. That would be a good start. Maybe make a one inch taller power wagon spring to get rid of the spacers. I think those would make the off-road crowd happy. Keep the spacer lift for the mall crawlers. That's my two cents.

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Just recently I asked about why their lift doesn't allow 40's on the Hemi. My thread was apparently deleted today, because after they gave an answer saying it would be hard on the drive train, someone contradicted them.

They also delete comments asking about gear swaps and lockers in their Prospectors.

A lot of shady shit there. I don't doubt the quality, but some of the customer side interactions are weird. The new recruit really seems to drive home the chasing dollars over quality. Seems to be that's were they are heading. I get it, they claim it pays for more stuff. I'm sure it does. But the weird way they handle criticism and feedback. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And why delete a thread asking a question? I didn't even get to read the response. Someone pointed it out to me.

:popcorn:
I saw that your 40's with a Hemi disappeared. I thought it was kind of odd.

I like certain things AEV offers for the Ram (wheels, raised air intake), and I think for the average guy (this includes me) the lift system would be plenty. That being said, I don't think it's the best system out there for guys who really use their trucks. I've actually been giving the Carli Back Country Lift, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money just yet.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Well, the lift is really designed for standard 2500's for starters if we think about it. (Yes we have Power Wagons, but we need to look at it from the market perspective. They're building for the wide market. Not us dorks soley.) To get that 3-inch lift at a discounted price compared to say Carli or Thuren. And it is better than a basic spacer 3-inch lift like Traxda or something along those lines.

But when you look at the cost, you've spent half the cost of a Carli pin-top or Thuren 3 inch lift with kings. So you spent $2,050.00 (AEV listed price) if you had a diesel. Not terribly bad. Just a little more than I paid for my bumper.

Compared to the top of the line Carli Off-Road package at $4,640.00 (Carli listed price). But we all know the kit is not really designed for hard wheeling, despite the advertising. It's better compared to Carli's Commuter 2.0 kit. Which comes in at $2,825.00 (Carli listed price) with fox shocks, coils, track bar, radius arm drop bracket, swap bar drops, bump drops, yada yada.

The real question in my mind then, is why does the AEV kit even exist? It's not even better than the Carli Commuter, so what niche is it filling? For what you are paying, for a few hundred more you could have a better setup. For a few thousand more you could go all out. My real thoughts here are that it might be low-cost production, high-profit item. Just guessing, however.

I'm one of those kinds of guys where I look at these, and if I could only afford 2k now, I would just say to myself, "I'm half way to the all out system with the BEST performance. So I might as well just wait longer so I can do it right the first time." Rather than spending 2k and ending up with a system that is MHEM at best performance. Only to want to go all out on something better later.

But that's just me.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm

My take on the AEV suspension kit is pretty simple...

- It was designed for people who want the same ride characteristics and capability of the factory suspension by utilizing the majority of the factory suspension, yet to be 3" taller in the front and 2" taller in the rear.

Its pretty much that simple. If you dont like that, than their kit most likey is not what you are looking for.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:43 pm

olyelr wrote:My take on the AEV suspension kit is pretty simple...

- It was designed for people who want the same ride characteristics and capability of the factory suspension by utilizing the majority of the factory suspension, yet to be 3" taller in the front and 2" taller in the rear.

Its pretty much that simple. If you dont like that, than their kit most likey is not what you are looking for.
I'd agree with this statement... My buddy has the AEV lift, with Carli arms, on his 2016 CTD... His reasoning is he wanted to maintain the factory tow ratings and ride quality... He does tow a 5th wheel with his very expensive Jeeps on it... He would have been fine to leave his truck alone, but he can't leave anything alone so went with the AEV lift, 37" Nitto tires and Trail Ready beadlook wheels... Still has the factory coils so still tows like it was stock... Did have to have a custom 5th wheel made as most standard 5th wheels weren't tall enough to accommodate the raised ride height... I'd also believe that since many dealers sell the turn key AEV vehicles with full warranty, that many people go with AEV as they know they will have no warranty issues... I could be far off but just my $.02
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 pm

This. And for people who start with a CTD as a priority not a wagon.

Love mine for what it is. I tow, didn't want air bags, wanted to save money for lockers, wanted the ground clearance provided by 37" tires and wanted the torque to turn them with a diesel. Has done everything I've asked of it.

Bumper?: for me personally: wanted something designed to crush/yield on big impacts to protect the frame, tucked tight to body for a winch, and pretty to look at. It is stout. I've hit a rock hard. No damage. I want to be able to smash deer and antelope and limp home but yield to protect my family. Only ARB and AEV are designed for that I believe. Remember, for a CTD there is no other bumper that tucks a winch in this tight to the intercooler, looks this pretty, built this tough, and is easily modified for 41" tires. ARB would have been a second or even better choice (intercooler protection) but seems to have a shitty approach angle.

Do I want a $8k carli kit? Yeah. Is it tested with the stability system so I can rest at ease when my wife and kids take the truck on a 80mph interstate? No...do I have the money in the budget for this truck for that suspension and 40" tires? No. But some would rather go high speed off road rather than go for departure/breakover/approach on a Cummins truck..which is awesome.

Diffcovers: really like them. Expensive? Bling? Yeah. True. Other options out there? Yeah. Less expensive? Yeah. Do we all spend too much on our trucks? Yup....Love the fill, drain, and inspection ports. Hitting things in the snow with a 8700lb empty truck sucks, especially when ARBs are at risk and it's -20 below out and your 100 miles from a shop...damn people cutting their trees above the ground....

To each their own. If you decide a power wagon is for you and you want CTD torque / manual tranny / mileage, than AEV is not a bad route to go...

I don't use my truck as hard as some of you but I use it as hard as most of you. That's why I lurk here, we share the same uses...only mine are slanted towards towing / forest roads and ski/hunt/fish access not running trails at Moab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo MT -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 pm

This. And for people who start with a CTD as a priority not a wagon. Wagon crowd isn't the target, too small...

Love mine for what it is. I tow, didn't want air bags, wanted to save money for lockers, wanted the ground clearance provided by 37" tires and wanted the torque to turn them with a diesel because at the time 40-41" might have been a kit soon. Has done everything I've asked of it. Sold the labor of my life, a TJ, to build it. With these priorities in this order: safety, ground clearance, towing capacity, looks, chain clearance (for October in the mountain west).

Bumper?: for me personally: wanted something designed to crush/yield on big impacts to protect the frame, tucked tight to body for a winch to maintain approach angle , and pretty to look at. It is stout. I've hit a rock hard. No damage. I want to be able to smash deer and antelope and limp home but yield to protect my family and my frame. Only ARB and AEV are designed for that I believe. Remember, for a CTD there is no other bumper that tucks a winch in this tight to the intercooler, looks this pretty, built this tough, crash tested/designed to yield, and is easily modified for 41" tires. ARB would have been a second or even better choice (intercooler protection) but seems to have a shitty approach angle and is ugly...

My body shop has had multiple oil field trucks come in with tweaked frames from ranch hand bumpers and Mule deer strikes. That's cool for oil field use where one job missed could cost as much as such a repair but he has started using ARB bumpers on all his family vehicles as a result.

Do I want a $8k carli kit? Yeah. Is it tested with the stability system so I can rest at ease when my wife and kids take the truck on a 80mph interstate? No...do I have the money in the budget for this truck for that suspension and 40" tires? No. But some would rather go high speed off road rather than go for departure/breakover/approach on a Cummins truck..which is awesome, but I would rather have the 40" tires, air down, have the approach/departure/ground clearance/break over and still go faster than I should on forest roads.

Diffcovers: really like them. Expensive? Bling? Yeah. True. Other options out there? Yeah. Less expensive? Yeah. Do we all spend too much on our trucks? Yup....Love the fill, drain, and inspection ports. Hitting things in the snow with a 8700lb empty truck sucks, especially when ARBs are at risk and it's -20 below out and your 100 miles from a shop...damn people cutting their trees above the ground....

To each their own. If you decide a power wagon is for you and you want CTD torque / manual tranny / mileage, than AEV is not a bad route to go...

I don't use my truck as hard as some of you but I use it as hard or harder as most of you. I have the body damage, pin striping, and skid marks to prove it. I'm on my second rear bumper and smashed into a rock twice as big as the truck on the front aev bumper with nothing but a paint chip to show for it. That's why I lurk here, we share the same uses want the same things...only mine are slanted towards towing / forest roads and ski/hunt/fish access with a diesel truck not running trails at Moab with a gas truck. My truck is a means to a trailhead...with 3 kids a wife and 2 dogs in tow.

Mine is home rolled, built by me not bought, I did it for much less than the retail trucks. If someone had the bling for such a truck, good for them. This truck is just as at home at 85mph as it is towing 8,000 lbs at 70mph as it is at 1mph in 4x4 low in 17" of snow chasing elk (or rather getting to a trailhead to start the hunt). Having lockers meant doing the work myself to keep costs down and no crazy high dollar suspensions, but it also gave me an appreciation for the design and how it wraps around the ram factory parts. I have 48,000 miles on the truck, 40,000 of those with these parts, very few issues and decent customer service when I did. I wheel with my brother in law who has a 3G wagon and go anywhere he goes...again, not Moab or some off road park, but legal desert/forest roads that would stop a low slung normal truck, especially during the shit roads of hunting season. Plowed many miles of snowy road with the aev bumper (so deep the fog light covers came off, which aev has changed the mounting method now).

Now blowing threads and posts away even on a company owned website is BS - I saw that too. Doesn't give me a good feeling. I feel like Chris is doing that without much oversite. It didn't start till he started frequenting the forums.

Wants: a intercooler protection method, rear bumper w/ winch, spare tire/hilift mounts, and cut out rear of fenders like some Tacoma bumpers.

2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo MT -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 pm

having owned 2 PW's, i now own a 2500 ctd...primarily went this route because i tow heavy loads and the PW sucked at it. now that i've had some seat time in the ctd, there is no way i would slap coil spacers on and offroad the thing. it just weighs too damn much and little articulation. i've already blown a sidewall on my 20" tire at 2k miles. that was $350! thank goodness i had a full size spare at 1am in the boonies.

however i do like AEV's 17" wheels which i may get some day cause these 20" wheels just suck, but it was part of the deal i got. AEV's bumper is cool, but i'm thinking it will just hang down too low at stock height. and do i really want to stick this heavy stiff truck in the muck somewhere?

mike
Attachments
front flat.JPG
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 pm

^^^^ this is the logic I wish was more universal. Everything you just said.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 pm

My 2 cents. I don't like AEV because they don't make anything for us 3G guys. :lol:

:winchmob:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 pm

My view on AEV. I have nothing for or against them. Only that they don't make anything for the 3G. The ferd and cheby dealers around here are selling trucks with Rocky Ridge lifts kits. My thinking is that the Ram dealers wanted something like that to sell too. In comes AEV. They already have factory connections. So they come out with the 1/2 ton and 3/4-1 ton kits to match the Rocky Ridge kits. AEV didn't go the extra step with the kits. Just did enough on them to compete with Rocky Ridge. And if installed by the dealer, they have a factory warranty too.

It's funny that Chris from AEV posted in the picture thread today. So they are reading this forum.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:06 am

I agree with a lot of the posts on here...to those that think that these kits were specifically designed and made for those with intimate off road knowledge...are in my assumption are wrong. I seem to remember every 4x4 magazine for months were touting this kits right before their release...followed immediately by dealers selling prospectors for $80-90k. Genius business and marketing ploy...you have to remember that in reality the majority of the people who wilth pay that much....will honestly know nothing about the product and simply reference a magazine article regarding its off road prowess. I saw this first hand this weekend riding in my buddies brand new raptor...had all of his Apple products synched but had no idea how to engage the locker or even put it in 4wd....as far as I'm concerned...same market

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:09 am

From a business standpoint, that's a profitable market though. Can't blame that choice. That's why the AEV Recruit is a thing now. Tapping another huge market. 1500 Base price brings that AEV Recruit to a whole new buyer level. It's good business.
-------
------

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:16 am

MSCH2112 wrote:having owned 2 PW's, i now own a 2500 ctd...primarily went this route because i tow heavy loads and the PW sucked at it. now that i've had some seat time in the ctd, there is no way i would slap coil spacers on and offroad the thing. it just weighs too damn much and little articulation. i've already blown a sidewall on my 20" tire at 2k miles. that was $350! thank goodness i had a full size spare at 1am in the boonies.

however i do like AEV's 17" wheels which i may get some day cause these 20" wheels just suck, but it was part of the deal i got. AEV's bumper is cool, but i'm thinking it will just hang down too low at stock height. and do i really want to stick this heavy stiff truck in the muck somewhere?

mike
20" tires are your problem!

When I saved the truck from a slinky lift it and sell it dealer it had a hockey puck lift and 35" tall 20" rims. Ride like crap. Bad enough my wife who had a has a bad back told me to sell it and that she hated it. I had 18" stock tires (snow prep package) put on and knocked $2k off the price , rode like shit. Hockey puck space lift had the springs way out of wack (there should be a bow in the new trucks but this took it all out).

Put aev lift on, rode ton better...put 37" but 17" diameter tires on with PROPER pressure, rides awesome. Not quite as plush as my f-150 it replaced (dad still has 150 ecoboost so I can compare on camping trips) but it's close...During hunting season between camp spots when not towing long distances I disconnect away bar - even better. Take tires to 18psi rear and 30psi front for dirt road runs - awesomeness...

Buried my truck twice now. Lockers got me out once. Other time was too sketchy to lock up and throttle out, snow, ice, 3' from a drop off to a stream, no tire chains yet that fit new tires...and no land anchor to winch so dropped tire pressure to 15psi, shovelled a bit, and walked right out with lockers.

Now I have a homemade land anchor and chains....

I have pics of stock CTD bumper vs AEV if you like. Side by side. They smashed that huge winch in there with 1/4" to spare to intercooler. I have smashed my intercooler shroud (aev one) twice but driving a bit more careful will prevent this in the future. I haven't replaced it.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:42 am

You don't need any lift at all to stomp around in the bush. 37's will fit on a completely stock base level 2500. Your spacer lift doesn't give you more travel, clearance, or ride improvement. You might feel better shocks. The Prospector I drove felt like a stock 2500 which is to say not very good compared to my truck. The brackets looked Italian...fragile'.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:53 am

Reloaderguy wrote:You don't need any lift at all to stomp around in the bush. 37's will fit on a completely stock base level 2500. Your spacer lift doesn't give you more travel, clearance, or ride improvement. You might feel better shocks. The Prospector I drove felt like a stock 2500 which is to say not very good compared to my truck. The brackets looked Italian...fragile'.
:rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:17 am

laramieskibum wrote: I have pics of stock CTD bumper vs AEV if you like. Side by side. They smashed that huge winch in there with 1/4" to spare to intercooler. I have smashed my intercooler shroud (aev one) twice but driving a bit more careful will prevent this in the future. I haven't replaced it.
In Moab, GTOMike measured the AEV Prospector Bumper and then Measured the factory bumper on the spot. I was right there. The AEV bumper was 1 inch taller than the factory bumper on the side. So much for an improved approach.
-------
------

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:32 am

Reloaderguy wrote:You don't need any lift at all to stomp around in the bush. 37's will fit on a completely stock base level 2500. Your spacer lift doesn't give you more travel, clearance, or ride improvement. You might feel better shocks. The Prospector I drove felt like a stock 2500 which is to say not very good compared to my truck. The brackets looked Italian...fragile'.
Have a link to 37" stock radius arm trucks? Anything with reasonable off set tires and 35" or large requires trimming the pinch weld and rubbing even then. On the 3G trucks sure. Not heard of anyone making 37" tires viable off road on a stock radius arm non-wagon suspension?

Driving like a stock truck is exactly the point. That is what I wanted to retain while gaining approach,departure, body clearance, room for 37" and soon 40" tires. While still towing 8+k comfortably. The hockey puck lift that was on the truck originally was horrendous, drove it several thousand miles that way. Totally screwed up the geometry up front.

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:38 am

MikeKey wrote:
laramieskibum wrote: I have pics of stock CTD bumper vs AEV if you like. Side by side. They smashed that huge winch in there with 1/4" to spare to intercooler. I have smashed my intercooler shroud (aev one) twice but driving a bit more careful will prevent this in the future. I haven't replaced it.
In Moab, GTOMike measured the AEV Prospector Bumper and then Measured the factory bumper on the spot. I was right there. The AEV bumper was 1 inch taller than the factory bumper on the side. So much for an improved approach.
Improved approach angle against something else with a winch on a cummins truck not a stock wagon. If your going to stuff a winch in front of a diesel ram truck it has to be as short as possible. Any additional length reduces the approach angle. Height plays in also but my point is that the bumper is no longer than it needs to be, it is as short as it can get which was important to me (but not to wagon owners, they are already stuffed and just want stouter). No doubt the bumper is worse in approach angle for wagon owners, no brainer, but is a relevant option for diesels.

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 am

laramieskibum wrote:
Have a link to 37" stock radius arm trucks? Anything with reasonable off set tires and 35" or large requires trimming the pinch weld and rubbing even then. On the 3G trucks sure. Not heard of anyone making 37" tires viable off road on a stock radius arm non-wagon suspension?

Driving like a stock truck is exactly the point. That is what I wanted to retain while gaining approach,departure, body clearance, room for 37" and soon 40" tires. While still towing 8+k comfortably. The hockey puck lift that was on the truck originally was horrendous, drove it several thousand miles that way. Totally screwed up the geometry up front.

Answered my own question I think:
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/ ... tment.html

After lifting my truck I only rub at extreme flex and severe turns and even then only a hair.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 am

If you can make 37s fit with a 3" lift you can make them fit with 0" of lift. The tires travel through the same space. If you rub with 0" of lift you'll rub with 3" of lift. It's harder to tell with an AEV lift because stock springs and spacers don't flex. They do move the axle forward but it's unnecessary. I'd rather trim plastic than install a labyrinth of intricate brackets and spacers.