Why has AEV turned to such shit?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:33 pm

I've gotten pretty good at listening to my intuition and it seems like AEV isn't headed in the right direction any more. Sly marketing speak, cheap parts, hiding from customer's feedback/opinions. Something just doesn't seem right, what the hell happened?

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: Why has AEV turned to such shit?

Post by Colibri » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 pm

The last thing I bought from them was a tj highline kit. They no longer have my respect as a company
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

zigsrig
Model Year: 2014

Post by zigsrig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Hey mike... I'm still here. And I still don't work for AEV ( neither does @timgco).

Maybe most of us stay off of this who are pro-AEV because we clearly like a brand that isn't "good enough" for you hard core guys.

Good luck with those 40's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Granite Laramie Power Wagon
2014 JK Rubicon - AEV'd with 37's

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:07 pm

AEV makes pretty stuff, calls it functional, charges high prices and markets their stuff well. And then if you use it, oh holy shit, hang on, it wasn't made for that, hey that stuff is DOT approved, not offroad approved! Calm down buddy, that's an 8,000lb truck, that's not supposed to go offroad!

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Is this the place to post my opinion about aev too? Oh wait. Aev doesn't want opinions from people who actually use their trucks. My bad
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

zigsrig

Post by zigsrig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Can someone, in their almighty wisdom, please elaborate on the "failures" or "shortcoming" AEV's gear for the Ram lineup has... I keep looking for broke down AEV trucks, and I'm just not seeing them....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timgco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Timgco » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:I've gotten pretty good at listening to my intuition and it seems like AEV isn't headed in the right direction any more. Sly marketing speak, cheap parts, hiding from customer's feedback/opinions. Something just doesn't seem right, what the hell happened?

I can't comment on cheap parts as I haven't had any issues with my builds. I have seen their marketing guy on their forum comment on parts to be released (Ramprocal) only to find a messed up roll out on them to the public. Some people are well versed on what they should and shouldn't release on forums. I know their long time rep left to pursue other avenues and that there aren't enough responses from them on the forums. I don't think their hiding. I think the lack of communication and differences on how to handle the public has shown.
2016 Laramie Power Wagon
...www.idontworkforaev.com...

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Hey now if ya like your aev stuff then have at it. You don't see broke down aev trucks because when guys buy the mm they buy another truck to drive cause after you spend 100k on a truck mights as well park it and drive a dd. their suspension stuff is a joke. But to each his own.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

zigsrig

Post by zigsrig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Another "their stuff is crap" but no definitive explanation as to "why" or even the elusive picture of something broken or not working...

So... what am I missing?....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 am

Shit coil spacers, weak drop brackets, same dog shit rubber isolators as OE, drive shaft extensions, rebadged WheelPro cast wheels, etc. Just off the top of my head.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 am

Half a brain if your willing to spend the kind of money aev asks for a 2500 truck that's less than half as capable as a powerwagon. That costs 40% more than a wagon. Could they have done better. Hell yes. A billion times better. But bottom line there are suckers out there who will spend that kind of money at a dealership. Everything is so much better when you finance right?

zigsrig

Post by zigsrig » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 am

Yet you all drool over this truck.... which was built with the "crappy spacer lift"...

And let's not forget the praises for their wheels just two threads down...

You guys are confusing me...

zigsrig

Post by zigsrig » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 am

Reloaderguy wrote:rebadged WheelPro cast wheels
Remind me who makes your wheels again?....

Let play a game called " how many places in the world makes low volume cast aluminum wheels"...

Timgco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Timgco » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 am

Reloaderguy wrote:Shit coil spacers, weak drop brackets, same dog shit rubber isolators as OE, drive shaft extensions, rebadged WheelPro cast wheels, etc. Just off the top of my head.
While I agree that geometry correction through spacers is not for everyone, they ride and handle great. Mine is in stock suspension, but I have had seat time in a handful of 2500, 3500, and one Prospector XL on Cooper STT 40's. I think to really wheel these trucks, hydraulic bumps up front would be a good investment. Not to get off subject, but th Carli Back Country and Dominator kits ride much better! But that comes at a huge price for the later and that a lot of modifications on the later.

I have only seen one failure on a lifted AEV truck and that was due to improper drilling of the knuckle. Outside of that, I see no actual proof of their kits being crap and failing. I see a lot haters on AEV products with no personal experience. That's fine, but let's see some honest reviews from personal experience.

Most are running Thuren over here. I've been in two 2500's with their coils and shocks. They ride ok. The 14+ trucks need additional parts to really give a complete lift and I know Don was working in them. He might have them out now, haven't checked in a while.

What do you mean by Re-badged wheel pro?
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 am

If this wasn't so Damn funny I'd be annoyed. Everyone has their taste. This forum is a lot less about looking fancy and having functionality. You don't see guys going "look I bought aev spacer lift". No. It's "Thuren coils" there is a very good reason for that. Thuren designed his stuff to be used and abused. Aev designs their stuff for mass market and bottom line money grab. So they make it pretty and once in awhile sell a few good rebadged products and the odd one off. To each his own man. But this thread was asking why has aev gone to shit. Which if you have anything higher than a grade 5 education would recognize that the question clearly states that aev was ok or even good and now have gone to shit. See. Some people here thought they used to be good.

zigsrig

Post by zigsrig » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 am

[/quote]

That truck is a hybrid using Carli parts as well as AEV. Get your shit right.
[/quote]

Oh... I think I know my shit. And had plenty of time to watch the truck in person in Moab... right behind it on the trail

And carli radius arms don't equal a carli lift

[QUOTE=Diesel Power Products;112319]Thank you all for the interest in this build. To clarify some things however this being an AEV forum we would not be foolish enough as a dealer to come on here with anything but AEV suspension. We do have a couple of Carli parts to help in a few areas. The demands and abuse this vehicle will have on it are going to be severe and to maximize the articulation we are looking for we are using a set of Carli Fabricated radius arms. They are set up as a stock replacement arm and will work with a truck that has nothing done to it. They also come with a more flexible joint at the frame side to help alleviate some of the articulation restrictions the factory arms have. There is no better suspension system on the market for someone looking to run 40" tires on a ram truck. The guys at AEV have really hit it out of the park not only with the axle placement in the front to help with the turn radius (so the big ole meaty tires don't rub everything) but with the overall attention to detail. Their approach of handling the roll center as apposed to just putting something together to fit the tire size desired are the reason we are using their products on this build. The handling characteristics with 40's is every bit as good as stock to include aggressive maneuvering. We now have the remainder of the suspension installed and should have the cab back on the truck tomorrow. The highsteer draglink is installed, front track bar relocation kit with the spring relocation spacers to allow us to move the front axle forward, lower bumpstop pads with brake line relocation bracket, new front brake hard line, AEV's trackbar (which fits so perfect at full bump that you have about an 1/8" clearance from the lower engine crossmember), Rear trackbar relocation bracket at the axle, rear coil spring spacers, Radius arm drop brackets with 40" spacers to push the axle forward, and driveline spacer.[/QUOTE]

But what do they know...

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 am

zigsrig wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:rebadged WheelPro cast wheels
Remind me who makes your wheels again?....

Let play a game called " how many places in the world makes low volume cast aluminum wheels"...

They aren't rebadged, they are straight up WheelPro wheels. I paid $170ea for them, $70 less per wheel and "AEV" wheels. No fancy marketing double speak. Don't make excuses, no one cares about how few or how many wheel makers there are. You asked a question and I answered it. If I want a cheap cast wheel that'll get me by I'll just buy the cheap cast wheel without the name slathered on it. Save the flimflam for the unwashed masses.

Timgco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Timgco » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 am

nts007 wrote:If this wasn't so Damn funny I'd be annoyed. Everyone has their taste.

But this thread was asking why has aev gone to shit. Which if you have anything higher than a grade 5 education would recognize that the question clearly states that aev was ok or even good and now have gone to shit. See. Some people here thought they used to be good.
I agree and like seeing the different suspension and how they function.. I think it's great to see the pros and cons.

I also agree on addressing the topic, and I have with my unprofessional opinion. I also addressed Mikes bs comment calling me and buddy out. Again! Pisses me off when I come here to enjoy and learn about the different mods on our rigs and I have to deal with that shit.
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 am

zigsrig wrote:Yet you all drool over this truck.... which was built with the "crappy spacer lift"...

And let's not forget the praises for their wheels just two threads down...

You guys are confusing me...

You mean the burrito warmer truck? The slider cut outs and corresponding rear Mercenary bumper are cool. The rest is kind of lame.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 am

It's kind of strange how fast you two came calling in this thread. Odd indeed.

Timgco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Timgco » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 am

Reloaderguy wrote:It's kind of strange how fast you two came calling in this thread. Odd indeed.
I came to this thread to comment because Zig was browsing the forum (like we both do), and showed me Mike Key posted about "us two guys". So here I am. :doh:

Btw. I look at this forum and a few others that are all about off reading, trail repair in my area, local Jeep club that I'm part of, a few FB pages. I live and breathe this stuff. In all honesty, I do not nor have I worked for AEV as insinuated. Neither has Zig. We just enjoy building our rigs and getting into the mountains.

You know how you have talked to Don at Thuren? Well, both Zig and I have friends in the industry including AEV and other manufactures.
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 am

zigsrig wrote: Looks to me like a shitty install job there...

Oh, and I know of at least one AEV wagon with the diff covers on... its sees a little bit of use too Image

Yeah, Aaron was told that it's designed to work with the AEV Lift. Actually, they gave super customer service in that instance and updated their site.

But kinda funny they didn't test that anyhow.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:57 am

Timgco wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:It's kind of strange how fast you two came calling in this thread. Odd indeed.
I came to this thread to comment because Zig was browsing the forum (like we both do), and showed me Mike Key posted about "us two guys". So here I am. :doh:

Btw. I look at this forum and a few others that are all about off reading, trail repair in my area, local Jeep club that I'm part of, a few FB pages. I live and breathe this stuff. In all honesty, I do not nor have I worked for AEV as insinuated. Neither has Zig. We just enjoy building our rigs and getting into the mountains.

You know how you have talked to Don at Thuren? Well, both Zig and I have friends in the industry including AEV and other manufactures.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but anyone who contacts Thuren talks to Don. I don't run around swing from his nuts though. I never once brought anyone but AEV up. It's interesting how your participation here goes; when AEV comes up, here you are. This reinforces my impression of the current state of affairs.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:08 am

But reloaderguy this is the only time they get their post counts up. Look
Tims at 99 and zigs at 22. It's how we get them to participate haha

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:09 am

In fact according to stats this thread is zigs most active topic with 8!!! Posts alone