Why has AEV turned to such shit?

If it's about Power Wagons, this is where it'll go.
DamageWagon
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Re: Why has AEV turned to such shit?

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 pm

^^^^ this is the logic I wish was more universal. Everything you just said.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 pm

My 2 cents. I don't like AEV because they don't make anything for us 3G guys. :lol:

:winchmob:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

MikeKey
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by MikeKey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 pm

laramieskibum wrote: Now blowing threads and posts away even on a company owned website is BS - I saw that too. Doesn't give me a good feeling. I feel like Chris is doing that without much oversite. It didn't start till he started frequenting the forums.
Interesting comment here. I've actually seen this happen in the past A company is doing great in the market, the CEO becomes a little less involved and a different employee starts running things, handling sales or handling the media and that person has a tendency to run things with a little less care than the original CEO.

Not saying that is the case. But that made me think of that.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - Moab Tested
[Build Thread] [Instagram]
[Power Wagons in Moab]

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 pm

My view on AEV. I have nothing for or against them. Only that they don't make anything for the 3G. The ferd and cheby dealers around here are selling trucks with Rocky Ridge lifts kits. My thinking is that the Ram dealers wanted something like that to sell too. In comes AEV. They already have factory connections. So they come out with the 1/2 ton and 3/4-1 ton kits to match the Rocky Ridge kits. AEV didn't go the extra step with the kits. Just did enough on them to compete with Rocky Ridge. And if installed by the dealer, they have a factory warranty too.

It's funny that Chris from AEV posted in the picture thread today. So they are reading this forum.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17,

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:06 pm

I agree with a lot of the posts on here...to those that think that these kits were specifically designed and made for those with intimate off road knowledge...are in my assumption are wrong. I seem to remember every 4x4 magazine for months were touting this kits right before their release...followed immediately by dealers selling prospectors for $80-90k. Genius business and marketing ploy...you have to remember that in reality the majority of the people who wilth pay that much....will honestly know nothing about the product and simply reference a magazine article regarding its off road prowess. I saw this first hand this weekend riding in my buddies brand new raptor...had all of his Apple products synched but had no idea how to engage the locker or even put it in 4wd....as far as I'm concerned...same market

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hella's behind the grill, locker bypass, BDS Long Arm Kit, Carli Front Diff Cover, Rockcrusher Rear, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, EBC brake pads, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's Rear DS, Kings Arsenal Seat Covers, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs with Dynalocs

MikeKey
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by MikeKey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:09 pm

From a business standpoint, that's a profitable market though. Can't blame that choice. That's why the AEV Recruit is a thing now. Tapping another huge market. 1500 Base price brings that AEV Recruit to a whole new buyer level. It's good business.
[Power Wagons in Moab]

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:16 pm

MSCH2112 wrote:having owned 2 PW's, i now own a 2500 ctd...primarily went this route because i tow heavy loads and the PW sucked at it. now that i've had some seat time in the ctd, there is no way i would slap coil spacers on and offroad the thing. it just weighs too damn much and little articulation. i've already blown a sidewall on my 20" tire at 2k miles. that was $350! thank goodness i had a full size spare at 1am in the boonies.

however i do like AEV's 17" wheels which i may get some day cause these 20" wheels just suck, but it was part of the deal i got. AEV's bumper is cool, but i'm thinking it will just hang down too low at stock height. and do i really want to stick this heavy stiff truck in the muck somewhere?

mike
20" tires are your problem!

When I saved the truck from a slinky lift it and sell it dealer it had a hockey puck lift and 35" tall 20" rims. Ride like crap. Bad enough my wife who had a has a bad back told me to sell it and that she hated it. I had 18" stock tires (snow prep package) put on and knocked $2k off the price , rode like shit. Hockey puck space lift had the springs way out of wack (there should be a bow in the new trucks but this took it all out).

Put aev lift on, rode ton better...put 37" but 17" diameter tires on with PROPER pressure, rides awesome. Not quite as plush as my f-150 it replaced (dad still has 150 ecoboost so I can compare on camping trips) but it's close...During hunting season between camp spots when not towing long distances I disconnect away bar - even better. Take tires to 18psi rear and 30psi front for dirt road runs - awesomeness...

Buried my truck twice now. Lockers got me out once. Other time was too sketchy to lock up and throttle out, snow, ice, 3' from a drop off to a stream, no tire chains yet that fit new tires...and no land anchor to winch so dropped tire pressure to 15psi, shovelled a bit, and walked right out with lockers.

Now I have a homemade land anchor and chains....

I have pics of stock CTD bumper vs AEV if you like. Side by side. They smashed that huge winch in there with 1/4" to spare to intercooler. I have smashed my intercooler shroud (aev one) twice but driving a bit more careful will prevent this in the future. I haven't replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:42 pm

You don't need any lift at all to stomp around in the bush. 37's will fit on a completely stock base level 2500. Your spacer lift doesn't give you more travel, clearance, or ride improvement. You might feel better shocks. The Prospector I drove felt like a stock 2500 which is to say not very good compared to my truck. The brackets looked Italian...fragile'.
Best Year Power Wagon

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:You don't need any lift at all to stomp around in the bush. 37's will fit on a completely stock base level 2500. Your spacer lift doesn't give you more travel, clearance, or ride improvement. You might feel better shocks. The Prospector I drove felt like a stock 2500 which is to say not very good compared to my truck. The brackets looked Italian...fragile'.
:rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '10, '12, '14.

MikeKey
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by MikeKey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 pm

laramieskibum wrote: I have pics of stock CTD bumper vs AEV if you like. Side by side. They smashed that huge winch in there with 1/4" to spare to intercooler. I have smashed my intercooler shroud (aev one) twice but driving a bit more careful will prevent this in the future. I haven't replaced it.
In Moab, GTOMike measured the AEV Prospector Bumper and then Measured the factory bumper on the spot. I was right there. The AEV bumper was 1 inch taller than the factory bumper on the side. So much for an improved approach.
[Power Wagons in Moab]

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:You don't need any lift at all to stomp around in the bush. 37's will fit on a completely stock base level 2500. Your spacer lift doesn't give you more travel, clearance, or ride improvement. You might feel better shocks. The Prospector I drove felt like a stock 2500 which is to say not very good compared to my truck. The brackets looked Italian...fragile'.
Have a link to 37" stock radius arm trucks? Anything with reasonable off set tires and 35" or large requires trimming the pinch weld and rubbing even then. On the 3G trucks sure. Not heard of anyone making 37" tires viable off road on a stock radius arm non-wagon suspension?

Driving like a stock truck is exactly the point. That is what I wanted to retain while gaining approach,departure, body clearance, room for 37" and soon 40" tires. While still towing 8+k comfortably. The hockey puck lift that was on the truck originally was horrendous, drove it several thousand miles that way. Totally screwed up the geometry up front.

2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 pm

MikeKey wrote:
laramieskibum wrote: I have pics of stock CTD bumper vs AEV if you like. Side by side. They smashed that huge winch in there with 1/4" to spare to intercooler. I have smashed my intercooler shroud (aev one) twice but driving a bit more careful will prevent this in the future. I haven't replaced it.
In Moab, GTOMike measured the AEV Prospector Bumper and then Measured the factory bumper on the spot. I was right there. The AEV bumper was 1 inch taller than the factory bumper on the side. So much for an improved approach.
Improved approach angle against something else with a winch on a cummins truck not a stock wagon. If your going to stuff a winch in front of a diesel ram truck it has to be as short as possible. Any additional length reduces the approach angle. Height plays in also but my point is that the bumper is no longer than it needs to be, it is as short as it can get which was important to me (but not to wagon owners, they are already stuffed and just want stouter). No doubt the bumper is worse in approach angle for wagon owners, no brainer, but is a relevant option for diesels.

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:24 am

laramieskibum wrote:
Have a link to 37" stock radius arm trucks? Anything with reasonable off set tires and 35" or large requires trimming the pinch weld and rubbing even then. On the 3G trucks sure. Not heard of anyone making 37" tires viable off road on a stock radius arm non-wagon suspension?

Driving like a stock truck is exactly the point. That is what I wanted to retain while gaining approach,departure, body clearance, room for 37" and soon 40" tires. While still towing 8+k comfortably. The hockey puck lift that was on the truck originally was horrendous, drove it several thousand miles that way. Totally screwed up the geometry up front.

Answered my own question I think:
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/ ... tment.html

After lifting my truck I only rub at extreme flex and severe turns and even then only a hair.

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:52 am

If you can make 37s fit with a 3" lift you can make them fit with 0" of lift. The tires travel through the same space. If you rub with 0" of lift you'll rub with 3" of lift. It's harder to tell with an AEV lift because stock springs and spacers don't flex. They do move the axle forward but it's unnecessary. I'd rather trim plastic than install a labyrinth of intricate brackets and spacers.
Best Year Power Wagon

MikeKey
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by MikeKey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:43 am

laramieskibum wrote: Improved approach angle against something else with a winch on a cummins truck not a stock wagon. If your going to stuff a winch in front of a diesel ram truck it has to be as short as possible. Any additional length reduces the approach angle. Height plays in also but my point is that the bumper is no longer than it needs to be, it is as short as it can get which was important to me (but not to wagon owners, they are already stuffed and just want stouter). No doubt the bumper is worse in approach angle for wagon owners, no brainer, but is a relevant option for diesels.
Um no you missed my point completely. It's a tall bumper. Reduces ground clearance. Now you have a winch, but you also have a bumper that is lower than your stock. The ARB is actually a better bumper because the approach angle is slightly improved (in a way, I'll explain), despite it sticking out further.
ARB-Ford-Bull-Bar.jpg
Reason being, they flared the bumper at both ends, reducing overall height. You'll also notice the flare going under too, acting as a skid to allow you to slide up and over. Way better design here.

The AEV bumper, as nice looking as it is, is the same height all the way across. It mimics the factory design completely.
rambumper_oelights.jpg
The AEV bumper is solely a winch bumper when that consideration is taken into account.

You can approach on a corner better with the ARB with your diesel than you could with the AEV bumper. That was my point about that.

:cheers:
[Power Wagons in Moab]

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:15 am

MikeKey wrote:
laramieskibum wrote: Improved approach angle against something else with a winch on a cummins truck not a stock wagon. If your going to stuff a winch in front of a diesel ram truck it has to be as short as possible. Any additional length reduces the approach angle. Height plays in also but my point is that the bumper is no longer than it needs to be, it is as short as it can get which was important to me (but not to wagon owners, they are already stuffed and just want stouter). No doubt the bumper is worse in approach angle for wagon owners, no brainer, but is a relevant option for diesels.
Um no you missed my point completely. It's a tall bumper. Reduces ground clearance. Now you have a winch, but you also have a bumper that is lower than your stock. The ARB is actually a better bumper because the approach angle is slightly improved (in a way, I'll explain), despite it sticking out further.
ARB-Ford-Bull-Bar.jpg
Reason being, they flared the bumper at both ends, reducing overall height. You'll also notice the flare going under too, acting as a skid to allow you to slide up and over. Way better design here.

The AEV bumper, as nice looking as it is, is the same height all the way across. It mimics the factory design completely.
rambumper_oelights.jpg
The AEV bumper is solely a winch bumper when that consideration is taken into account.

You can approach on a corner better with the ARB with your diesel than you could with the AEV bumper. That was my point about that.

:cheers:
On a corner yes. Overall approach is worse yes. I did all the calcs afterwards to show the improvement after the lift/bumper, it's a trade off. The ARB bumper got a lot right. I'll post the pics of the calcs for improvement on approach/departure/etc.

Do you folks think that moving the axle forward is nessisary for 40" tires? I think you run out of pinch weld room. By my calcs 40" tires get you to stock rubicon 4x4 specs, this my want to go there. Haven't seen anyone go there yet with 17" tires and reasonable offset and 40-41 tires.

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:24 am

AEV figured out Filson buyers will buy lifted trucks. Nth degree tried this 15 years ago.

You can't fit 40s even with an AEV lift, you have to cut off the fenders.
Best Year Power Wagon

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 am

Reloaderguy wrote:AEV figured out Filson buyers will buy lifted trucks. Nth degree tried this 15 years ago.

Agree. AEV went after the same market as Rocky Ridge.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '10, '12, '14.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:AEV figured out Filson buyers will buy lifted trucks. Nth degree tried this 15 years ago.

Yep, but they do it better in my opinion. Those Rocky Ridge setups just look janky... Ive seen em on Jeeps, Dodges, Chebys... they all look like JC Whitney stuff was tossed at it. At least AEV looks badass.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes
- A virgin, other than White Knuckle sliders... and lots of Fluid Film -

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 pm

olyelr wrote:
RustyPW wrote:

Yep, but they do it better in my opinion. Those Rocky Ridge setups just look janky... Ive seen em on Jeeps, Dodges, Chebys... they all look like JC Whitney stuff was tossed at it. At least AEV looks badass.
Maybe that secret ultra high end JC Whitney catalog that you need to ask for from someone that knows someone that has the ins on getting this catalog?

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Although I have to say I do like the bumper and all the thought that was put into it. However, I would like to see a version two. Something that would be labeled as a technical version that addresses the more aggressive style or technical style of off-roading.

Hats off to them for coming up with a well rounded design that seems to take care of the majority of the interested. I challenge them to take a new step more in the performance category and design the version two that increases the approach angle not just in a typical sense. I envision better approach angles such as climbing up an obstacle while making a turn. Or descending from a steep hill at an angle. These are real life situations that you come across in trails, especially those that see frequent use.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

MikeKey
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by MikeKey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 pm

phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

Get it, get it, get it... oh.
[Power Wagons in Moab]

Z's2016PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Z's2016PW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Yeah I do like their bumper. If I wanted something else I would consider it. That said really! If your bumper is hitting turn the wheels and take a slightly different approach. No excuse for that!

Z's2016PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Z's2016PW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 pm

I keep watching that darn video. A 3 inch lift with 37's and that bumper is still hitting the rock wall. Definitely a bad approach angle for the bumper. Makes me wonder if the driver is out of his element.

MikeKey
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by MikeKey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Here's a fair comparison. 37's 3-inch lift and stock bumper.
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

Yea, alot of us did that line. First trail of the week. You know, I just met the owner earlier the day before. It's kind of hard to tell someone to BUMP IT when you don't know them yet. Joe is a really nice guy, he kept up on all the trails and was very positive. Super fantastic guy. One of the best looking trucks too.

I think he could have gotten up it if he bumped it, but like I said, didn't know him well enough just then to tell him to go for it. It would have left a mark, but I think a bump it could of made it. Of course, it might not have. I dunno.
[Power Wagons in Moab]