Stupid Question, Dually wheels on 14+ PW

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
SeahawkDriver
Model Year: 2014

Stupid Question, Dually wheels on 14+ PW

Post by SeahawkDriver » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:22 pm

I went up into the barn yesterday and realized I still had a set of stock 2010 Ram Dually wheels and tires.... my head got to scratching. What if I was doing a long-distance haul with a heavy trailer and didn't want to burn through a set of nice 35" M/T..... hmmmm :idea: How can I make this work? :wink: Any ideas? :mrgreen:

I wouldn't actually need dual wheels in the back since I don't have a 5th wheel or gooseneck hookup, bumper-tow only, so weight over the axle isn't nearly as important for duals. I'd probably just put singles in the back with the large positive offset ( the outer dual only). I'm thinking the fronts might need adapters though since the massive negative offset wouldn't work without adapters. If I did want duals in the back I'd need some sort of set of custom hub-centric spacers to make it work.. then i'd need longer studs, which wouldn't be worth it...

Screw it, maybe I'll just buy a set of cheap steel MOPAR rims and get some 31" E-rated highway tires. Sounds much easier.

I plan on installing airbags too. Going to a stock (32") dually tire with highway tread would make the 4.10's more like 4.56's... much better for a temporary heavy tow.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Stupid Question, Dually wheels on 14+ PW

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am

SeahawkDriver wrote:I went up into the barn yesterday and realized I still had a set of stock 2010 Ram Dually wheels and tires.... my head got to scratching. What if I was doing a long-distance haul with a heavy trailer and didn't want to burn through a set of nice 35" M/T..... hmmmm :idea: How can I make this work? :wink: Any ideas? :mrgreen:

I wouldn't actually need dual wheels in the back since I don't have a 5th wheel or gooseneck hookup, bumper-tow only, so weight over the axle isn't nearly as important for duals. I'd probably just put singles in the back with the large positive offset ( the outer dual only). I'm thinking the fronts might need adapters though since the massive negative offset wouldn't work without adapters. If I did want duals in the back I'd need some sort of set of custom hub-centric spacers to make it work.. then i'd need longer studs, which wouldn't be worth it...

Screw it, maybe I'll just buy a set of cheap steel MOPAR rims and get some 31" E-rated highway tires. Sounds much easier.

I plan on installing airbags too. Going to a stock (32") dually tire with highway tread would make the 4.10's more like 4.56's... much better for a temporary heavy tow.
The simplest solution is just to pump up your 35's and do the hauling. It's low pressure rear tires that both heat up and WEAR. :secret:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

06wagon
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Stupid Question, Dually wheels on 14+ PW

Post by 06wagon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:24 pm

You mount a 2-3" spacer first, then the duals. But that outside dual would be waaayyy out there. For the fronts. Just get the factory dodge spacer.
2006 Power Wagon. "Stockish"
A few parts added and deleted to make it go 300' Getting Farther from Stock!!!
1974 Power Wagon..... Going to get a Gen 3 HEMI swap. Future tow rig for the 06.
2016 Power Wagon Laramie. Delmonico Red. 20x12 Predator II's with 33" toyo's. Firestone air bags. B&W gooseneck. More extras to come....