New Guy with a questions...4K rev limit, front cam, descent

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Woodscavenger
Model Year: 2014

New Guy with a questions...4K rev limit, front cam, descent

Post by Woodscavenger » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:40 am

Bought my truck about a month ago. 1000 miles on it. Mostly city and freeway.

Today we were up in the mountains of Idaho and ended up on some nasty trails. The Beast did great! Did put it in 4wd on one road. Rarely even slipped much. Rolled over obstacles my Sequoia (which was a great rig) would have bruised itself on. It is a little tricky getting used to the lesser turning radius, wider width and length but I will manage. We only stopped on the trail when we hit big snow drifts at 9k feet.

On the way to the road we ran through some water. Nothing too deep but hit a couple a little faster since on the way through the first time I knew they were only 6-8" deep and smooth bottomed. We drove to the main road and headed to Stanley. All felt good. Came up on a guy doing 60 on a 65 road. Put the pedal down, pulled out to pass and ......nothin!!!! RPM hit 4K and nothing else happened!! :jawdrop: No downshift, no upshift, no higher revs. :angry: I couldn't get the power to get around this little Chevy S10. I kept up. With the 60mph. Checked all guages and screens, no nanny lights, no check engine, all vitals looked great. It otherwise was running great and had just done great on the the 30 miles of trails. I sat behind him for 5 miles then pulled into Stanley to eat and gas up. We headed home with me worrying about some of the upcoming climbs wondering if I was in some limp mode.

Everything ran great. No problems, good passing power, revs over 4K...... :rockon: :rockon:

So now my questions:

1). So what gives? I saw one similar post from 2 years ago very similar but no real answer was given. Read the Nanny thread, nothing? Should I be worried?

2) Does anyone make a front grill cam for spotting and general trail visualization. This big hood is a beast to see over and around and I felt a little blind?

3) I tired descent control which seemed overkill most times but then uses the +/- manual switch to go to 1st and it didn't really seem to give me good transmission breaking like my Sequoia. Am I doing something wrong?

BTW while up in Stanley I was and waved to a White, rebadged 2017 near Pettit Lake. I also saw a 2012-ish White PW with the Black-Red logos and a great looking ladder/recreation rack with a couple of kayaks on top. Great looking rig.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: New Guy with a questions...4K rev limit, front cam, desc

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:31 am

Not familiar with your truck but I would

1: check your air filter. Pop it open and see if it's wet.

2: give it time to reset.

See what it does in a day or so.

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:21 am

Hill descent control only works in 4L and is all ABS. You don't get much engine braking on these trucks. Once you touch the brakes it forces the torque converter clutch to unlock.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am

What trails were you doing near Stanely? We were out doing the IBCDR this weekend.

Sounds like you might have hit the hiccup. I just recently experienced a similar instance. I was trying to pass a guy up near the pass and went to punch it, it downshifted but I backed off at the last minute, because of oncoming traffic. Then when the car passed and I went to pass the guy, my engine wouldn't go anywhere. No more downshifting, no nothing. I mashed it and it just kept going the same speed at 60mph. I pulled over, stopped the engine and restarted and it was fine again. Very weird experience and I've only experienced it once. Like you, I was afraid the truck went into limp mode. Unsure what happened.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Woodscavenger
Model Year: 2014

Post by Woodscavenger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:12 am

No long trails. Went up Fourth of July then to the Phyllis Lake Road which stopped us at about 9000 feet with snow. We hiked from there and would have been stopped by several downed trees.

We also went up the Yellow Belly Lake trail near Pettit Lake. That one gets a little tight and knarly....at least for what my Sequoia would have done.

I love seeing a rock, thinking......how do I get around that....then my brain says....You are in the BEAST and just roll right over it without looking back!!

So about this hiccup.......I don't like thinking I may try to pass someone and then BLAHHHHHHH.

TrashyOilfield
Model Year: 2010

Post by TrashyOilfield » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:55 am

Look up cruxinterfacing.com. They have all types of plug and play modules for front view camera kits and such. I have their kit with camera as front view. They also make kits to "jailbreak" your factory screen so that you can access everything while the vehicle is in motion.